Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

I've done my fare share of research on the topic and found some threads like this one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321941, and also read through the Bentley on the topic, but I'm still not sure where to start.

I have the overhead AC unit in a 1987 Weekender van.

The bottom line is this - when I turn on the AC on high, it blows a lot of hot air. Through my research I see that there are 2 main fuses, which I have checked, and then a whole bunch of relay's located all over the van. With the relay's, I'm not really sure what I would even be looking for if one of them were bad.

Question is this...

Should I even be trying to trouble shoot this, or should I just take it somewhere?

If I should keep trying, what am I looking for, and where should I start?
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Does your compressor clutch engage when you turn the snowflake knob clockwise? If not, then you'll need to figure out if there's an electrical issue or (most likely) the system doesn't have enough pressure to trigger the clutch to engage. Once you determine system pressure (you need a set of gauges), then you can move on to the blower issues. Without the compressor pumping, you'll get no love from the AC.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Does your compressor clutch engage when you turn the snowflake knob clockwise? ...

How does one know if the compressor clutch engages? (dumb question?)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

It's not a dumb question, but it is pretty basic. You can have an assistant turn the key to the on position and then turn the snowflake clockwise. You should hear and see the clutch engage. If not, then you can jump 12v from the alternator directly to the red/black (can't remember which color) connection to see if the clutch even works. If it does, then remove the black cover on the suction port just behind the compressor and depress the Schrader valve. It should have some kind of residual pressure in there. If not, then the adventure begins...

y u rune klassik?
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

So with the key in the "on" position definitely nothing happening back there when I turn the AC on. Checked the schrader valve and there's no pressure there either.

Worth trying to jump it from the alternator as you mentioned, or just assume it's toast?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Well, it would be nice to know whether the clutch is good, but the lack of residual pressure means you have other more "pressing" issues to attend to if you want to ressurrect AC. You can remove the belt and see if the compressor will rotate freely by hand, but again...you'll probably need to open up the system and start replacing parts--drier, expansion valve, seals, pressure/temp switches, oil, etc.

It's well worth the effort and expense

y u rune klassik?
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
...You can have an assistant turn the key to the on position and then turn the snowflake clockwise. You should hear and see the clutch engage....

Can you help me understand what you mean by "hear and see the clutch engage"? I'm honestly not sure exactly what I'm looking for...but I assume if it was engaging I would know.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

CLICK-
RRRRRRR.

Take the van to an AC guy.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
CLICK-
RRRRRRR.

Take the van to an AC guy.

Haha thanks!
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

The AC pulley defaults to just freewheeling around the compressor shaft until the clutch locks it and the shaft together. The clutch is the disc-looking thing that sits at the end of the pulley assembly. With the engine running, you'll see that it's sitting stationary while the pulley spins behind it. If you were to trigger the clutch, it would then begin spinning along with the pulley. It makes a rather distinct and fairly loud click! when it's energized. With no residual system pressure it's not going to click! unless you jump it with 12v directly.

y u rune klassik?
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Okay, so the AC switch is definitely not engaging the clutch. However per your recommendation I jumped it from the alt and it did engage. So I should be trying to track down an issue related to the switch??
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

You should be looking for the receipt to find out the last time it was serviced, and what kinda refrigerant is in it first.

Then get a manifold & gauges on the low & high pressure sides and find out how much there is in it.

If there isn't anything--time to clean out the system, evac, and load her up.

Start there.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
Okay, so the AC switch is definitely not engaging the clutch. However per your recommendation I jumped it from the alt and it did engage. So I should be trying to track down an issue related to the switch??

No, the switch is most likely fine.
Now disconnect the clutch wire you added, spinning an empty compressor for any length of time will destroy it.

Odds are high that the refrigerant gas in the hoses that the compressor pumps has escaped via a leak.

At almost 30 years old that leak could be any number of things, compressor shaft seal, porous rubber hoses, damaged Condensor, loose fittings, bad schrader valves, etc.

Terry said it, you need special gauges that measure the gases before proceeding farther.
It is Time to buy some special tools or take it to a shop who can service Vanagon A/C units.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Cool, thanks guys. Not what I was hoping to hear, but it is what it is.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

No, the switch is most likely fine.
Now disconnect the clutch wire you added, spinning an empty compressor for any length of time will destroy it.

Although I'm not sure I understand why you guys don't think it's electrical. If it engaged when jumped, but doesn't engage when connected as it should be, wouldn't you start by trying to get it to engage via the AC switch?

I understand all of your other points about escaped gas and all that, so we're good there.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Dave said it, I say it.

There is a low pressure switch in the lines.
Got low freon, you'll have low pressure, and the switch will prevent the compresor from kicking on and eating itself alive.

Prior to making crazy calls telling folks what they should do, take a month or two off, and do some intense AC studies.
Figure out what does what, when & where .

I'm not bum rapping you, I just don't want folks who also don't know getting in trouble, costing them more money from incorrect information being passed on.

Get an AC instruction/training manual, put it in thr john, and do some reading in your free time.
Get some gauges to verify what is in the system first.
It is electrical.
The switch is preventing the compressor from operating due to low freon pressure, or no freon pressure.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Dave said it, I say it.

There is a low pressure switch in the lines.
Got low freon, you'll have low pressure, and the switch will prevent the compresor from kicking on and eating itself alive.

I didn't see either of you state this in your posts. At least not this clearly. Now I understand, so thanks.

Terry Kay wrote:

Prior to making crazy calls telling folks what they should do, take a month or two off, and do some intense AC studies.

I'm not sure I understand. You think I'm making crazy calls and telling people what to do? I'm here to learn.

Terry Kay wrote:

Get an AC instruction/training manual, put it in thr john, and do some reading in your free time.
Get some gauges to verify what is in the system first.
It is electrical.
The switch is preventing the compressor from operating due to low freon pressure, or no freon pressure.

Good input. Thanks. I understand more about the AC system now than I did before.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Well, your kinda asking questions open ended .

If the compressor doesn't fire up, don't force the issue on your own, with zero AC tools.

Go buy the good book, buy the tools, and have at it.

I feel this way.
No tools, no self absorbed knowledge?
Leave it alone.
You're shooting blanks.

You cannot work on the AC without the proper equipment.
And that's pretty much a big period.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't have AC tools or knowledge, so at this point I'll take it to a pro.

I do however have electrical knowledge. The only reason I was working on this myself was to see if the issue WAS an electrical issue which I could fix as apposed to a mechanical issue which I could not.

You guys helped me diagnose it, so that's cool.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Weekender - AC Troubleshooting Reply with quote

The most common problem is low refrigerant.
Initially assume that is correct.
Until you verify the status of the refrigerant you cannot proceed.
It MAY still be electrical but rule out refrigerant first.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: