Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Patch or Replace
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

I'm replacing the pans in the bug and noticed this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now should I replace it or patch it? My pans did not come with this piece so I don't know where to get one anyway. Here's the bottom

As you can see its very rusty. So what should I do?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

if your replacing the pans, I d be inclined to finish the job by replacing all the bad metal while your at it.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

I think the pan kits from WW come with that piece. I have seen many replacement pan adds with that piece is included. Just look around. But remember you get what you pay for. Cheep often means thinner metal. While more expensive does not always mean thicker metal. Make sure to contact the vendor for the pan metal thickness before buying.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

I already bought the pans. They are thick metal, not Wolfsbürg west pans but they are around the same gauge. They definitely aren't thin. They don't have that piece on them and I can't find a vendor that sells that piece. If anyone knows a place that sells it please tell.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

Did you try calling WW? Maybe they have them in stock. Just not listed online. I can clearly see them in the adds that have on line.
Never hurts to call. You may get good news.
Good luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

Can you return the pans?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

I'll call Wolfsbürg west tommorow. No I can't return them I bought them from Johns Car Corner. I don't really want to return them either since they're good quality. I just need that one thing so I'm not really going to return something for one piece. If I can get that piece from Wolfsbürg West it would be great.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=112701062K

it appears per above link that wolfburg west sells the pan and the brace together, but they are seperate parts. i would thi k ylu might be able to buy the brace seperatly, so give them a call, then you can use the pans you already bought and add the brace from wolfsburg west. the part is not listed on the website seperatly so give them a call , they do apparently have them as part of a kit.

also note many pans come with paint on them, often this is an inferior paint only meant to prevent rust in storage, you will want to paint them properly with a tough automotive type paint, you will want to strip the paint that came on the pan first, as often it is sprayed over an unclean part that may have manufacturing oils on it under the temporary paint. thus it may be poorly adhered and all the good paint in the world over it will still fail when it fails.

so plan on stripping it bare prior to welding, then paint it. a tough epoxy type primer like DP is a good choice.

dont paint over the temporary paint that comes with the pan as a general rule.

good luck, hope wolfsburg will be able to accomidate your need for the support brace only.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

ps, you have a duplicate thread running, pls delete it via the delete soft key to save having the admins do it for you. all the replies so far are to this one so the other should be deleted

Boom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

http://www.wagen-werks.com/floor-pans-bug-1958-to-1970-h-d-18-gauge-1-2mm-steel-wolfsburg-west/

Call these guys I bet they can help you out. It appears they are out but if you look at the webpage they have sold them.

67 Chubby White Chic

Düg Büg

dLk
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

Alright, duplicate thread gone. I'll give Wolfsbürg West a call tommorow. I really hope I can get the piece.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
TYBUGGER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

I have a set that I did not use when I replaced my pans recently. I have no use for them if you want them you can have them. I live on Long Island you could pick up or pay the shipping and I will get them to you. Ty Maple
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

Alright here is the napoleons hat.

As the title says, patch or replace. They are pretty bad, but I read that new napoleon hats are not very good.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

Any new napoleon hat is better than that one..I'd cut the rotted shit out and graft in the same pieces from a new one or just replace the whole piece with new.

Could do like this:

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Patch or Replace Reply with quote

That's what I'm thinking, graft in new pieces. Anyone have experience with mtmfg?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: