Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wipers rotate down, not up.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

I installed my wiper arms and blades today. When I turned them on, they rotated down, not up. Would that logically be caused by having 2 wires on wrong terminals on the switch, or does it sound like an issue with the motor?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

did you take it apart?

if 2 wires are wrong, usually the speeds would be goofy. it must have the brown ground wire from the motor to the lug on the fresh air vent to work.

2 things:

1) is there paint on the ground lug not allowing it to ground?

2) did it just get turned off in the "run/on" position, and you put the arms on thinking it was "parked"?

ok, 3 things...

does it cycle and stop in the "park" position when you turn the SWITCH off, not the ignition?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

I'll check the ground tomorrow. It was in the park position, which it seems to do correctly when I turn the switch off.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

The only thing that causes them to go down is if th arms were removed & the regulator was not in "park" position when you installed the arms at the park position. Remove arms, turn wipers on & then turn them off & allow them to park, then reinstall arms.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

Just take advantage of it. put little rags under the wipers so they scrub the nose of the bus when you turn the wipers on.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

Unless you had the arm off the motor & it didn't get timed (clocked) correctly.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

when you say rotate down, you mean as if they really would clean the nose, or do they do a quick down (like drop 1/8-3/16") then go the proper way?

almost every bus I have seen does a quick dip down, then up

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The only thing that causes them to go down is if th arms were removed & the regulator was not in "park" position when you installed the arms at the park position. Remove arms, turn wipers on & then turn them off & allow them to park, then reinstall arms.

The regulator was in the park position when I installed the arms. Tried it twice to make sure.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

The way it's designed, there's nothing electrically that can reverse the wiper sweep. It's either the arm mistimed (incorrectly clocked) at the motor (causing the wiper shafts to continue downward after the motor is in park position (exaggerated by arms that are installed where they "should" be), or the arms are incorrectly installed on the shafts.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

make sure you didn't mix up your ground wires.

31 is the ground on the switch

31b is park (I think) and the top brown wire is chassis ground to the motor itself

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

Did you have the regulator apart? & more specifically, did you have the arm off the motor?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wipers rotate down, not up. Reply with quote

Pry the lever arm off the motor and reinstall it 180° from where it is now positioned. Reinstall your wiper arms as needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: