Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carbon build-up on intake valve
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

how did this happen
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

intakes--before and after

closeup

working on it

thats a lot of carbon!
any ideas?
i was rich on idle jets(55 going to 50)
low compression 7.0(going to 9.0)
was the valve glowing hot sizziling the gas(cooking on valve)?
cheap gas(i do run premiun)
oil coming down valve stem?
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
convertable-beetle-w/bugspray & screamer dist.(019) gone
"Where There's a Will There's a Way"
63 one of a kind beetle. 57 dash,double rear window--sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

Most of the intake valve currently existing are like that more or less.
How does it happen? chemistry? heat? I think the fuel hits the valve and makes it sticky, then the small puffs of carbon which blow back tend to stick to it and build up.
They have a little display at the shell gas station with a carbony valve and a clean one and it says our gas "reduces deposits 35%" or something, and I thought that was rather funny, because the 'bad" valve in the display was rather typical, no worse than most. I considered getting them a better example, perhaps a detroit diesel, looks like a soot popsicle Laughing

Looks kinda fluffy like the deposits in a smoker I was fixing a few weeks ago. mmm, pork carbon. Not only does it make good flux for shielding the back of the weld, but it also delicious flavor too. when they run bio diesel sometimes it imparts a bit of flavor.

Well, if the chambers were extra fluffy too, then we'll blame that for the 30% beyond normal buildup. Running rich will make a lot more carbon, and you could blame the gas also, they are supposed to have some additives in there to minimize the buildup, and certainly not all is created equal. Some OE cars had problems, when the deposits get out of hand it was found they can act as sponges and delay fuel delivery. We've come a long way from when you had to take apart your model T engine and scrape the gunk out of it every 1000 miles!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

Do you have your crankcase vented to intake? Oil vapors will tend to do that.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

and some additives will also do that Shocked lucas/mucas is real bad about it. and remember if you buzz up your motor all that carbon is added weight to the expensive lightweight valve train you paid for..... for the most part I think it's when you turn off the motor that it stays there and dries the fuel aditives that are supposed to stop that. I remember years ago a big engine builder was doing a lot of testing and found the carbon buildup was a direct result of dried fuell additives in conjunction with stagnate areas in the chamber(not enough squish/wide deck) and fuel drieing when the engine was turned off. just look at the fuel residue around the carbs that dont leek but vapors leave a visual of the residue.ones that leek are worse. when the fuel all burns it go,s out the exhaust. when parts dont burn you get depisits. when there is a stagnate area in the chamber that dosent get swept out the exhaust and the incoming mix is diluted and dosent burn and deposits are formed. walls&sharp edges on those walls can create something like a EDDY in a stream. where that portion just stays there as the rest go,s down stream. Oil also forms deposits.as can fuel droplets that are not attomized. thus one of the reasons for bigger air jet to help atomize the fuel better.and with the biger air jet a bigger main jet is needed due to the air jet adding more air....automizing better.witch is more torque.higher cr also makes more torque and runs cleaner too....when done right. Ok Ill shut up now. gotta get back to work.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

it will do that if it's way too rich, and/or the CR is too low for the cam being used.

FWIW, a bottle of Gumout Regane will remove it all in 1 tank of fuel.

https://www.amazon.com/Gumout-800001364-Regane-Complete-Cleaner/dp/B004361AFQ

Your local FLAPS may have it too, they do at our Pep Boys.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

As John noted....being rich...and/or having rather low combustion efficiency due to excessively low compression are the classic causes of excessive carbon build up.

Personally....that carbon buildup looks a lot like oil. Tylically if your valve guides are just a hair on the loose side, excessive oiling of the valve stem will work its way down the valve and carbonize. It can also be layered with varnish from fuel additives and alcohol.

There are other newer causes of carbon as well. Part is modern fuel related.

Very modern cars.....most especially those built say in the last 10-12 years are having carbon issues.....especially intake valve carbon build up....especially the direct injection engines....mostly because of the oil seepage down the valve stem and the fact that no fuel flows past the valves with detergents to keep the oil washed off of them before it can carbonize. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

Use the best fuel you can find. I like Chevron with Techron or Sunoco 94.....Also Liqui-Moly makes a product called Ventil Sauber.......I think in German it means "valve cleaner"

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

Use the cleaner that John suggested: Chevron Techron Concentrate; Gumout "Regane"; and Redline Fuel System Cleaner all use the same cleaners that do work.
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

the pic of the dirty valve--should of noted--i had it soaking in acetone and just took it out.
you can see small droplets on stem and makes it look shiny.(eco. friendly junk)
the carbon would only come off manuelly( razor & fine sandpaper)
i have been doing most my driving on low to moderate rpm's running on my overly rich(for my mtr.) 55 idles (duel 40mm carbs.)for a while.
the doc. says go 50's and that's what i got in em now.
thanks for the input.
with a fresh start, and proper combo's (compression & jetting)
this baby should rock when i want it to! Cool
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
convertable-beetle-w/bugspray & screamer dist.(019) gone
"Where There's a Will There's a Way"
63 one of a kind beetle. 57 dash,double rear window--sweet!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

Cam, valve size, exhaust and port size can influence. If you have high airspeed in the intake, and no reversion from whacky cams/ exhaust, the air in the intake port moves mostly one way, leaving little or no residue on the back of the valve.

Most performance cams have quite a bit of overlap, and depending on the combo, some very funky things can happen at certain RPMs.
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: carbon build-up on intake valve Reply with quote

Under light load conditions, inlet ports are seeing a partial vacuum. Oil gets drawn via inlet guide, and some could end up on backside of valve.

For a special application i am considering valve stem seals, like ones used by the 911, only for the inlets. But having my doubts... This is an experimental mileage engine.

Found that when combustion chambers/valves were freshly polished, engine would tolerate a degree or two more timing. But only for the first 5000- 10000 miles, until normal light deposits are formed. After this it's back to normal standard knock sensitivity, but doesn't get any worse from there. At around 50000 miles i removed heads for inspection, and polished chambers. Thereafter had another few thousand miles of slightly more knock-resistant conditions like before.

Maybe it's a better idea to rather use a good cleaning additive from time to time, or dump some cleaning chemical through inlets while engine is running...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: