Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

I am from Minneapolis and I am on a road trip out to Yellowstone National Park with my 8 year old son. We have been driving 3 to 5 hours each day since Monday (it is now Thursday morning). On last night's drive I noticed that i could hear what I think is an exhaust leak. I have relatives in Bozeman, Montana (4 to 5 hours away) that we were planning to drive to today. I would like to try to fix the bus there. Is that too risky?
I just woke up at the camp sight right now in Miles City to write this post and I am going to explore the engine a bit now to see if I can locate the leak, but I don't want to do a bunch of engine repair here.
I'll try to take pics if I find anything now.
Any thoughts on driving 4 hours with an exhaust leak???
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

Check if it's just a nut that's loose or did you hit something?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

A wet rag held over the exhaust outlet (with the engine idling) may tell you just where it is leaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:

very prescient of you!

I pulled each plug to see if the sound went away and it did when I pulled the #2 plug. So I emptied out the back of the bus and removed the air filter so i could get a better view from the top access. I saw that the 17mm bolt that is plugging my air injection port on the #2 cylinder had backed out. So I tightened it up and put it all back together and started it up and the sound is gone!
The engine oil looked a bit dirty so I am going to change the oil now (using 20W50).
Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:

very prescient of you!

I pulled each plug to see if the sound went away and it did when I pulled the #2 plug. So I emptied out the back of the bus and removed the air filter so i could get a better view from the top access. I saw that the 17mm bolt that is plugging my air injection port on the #2 cylinder had backed out. So I tightened it up and put it all back together and started it up and the sound is gone!
The engine oil looked a bit dirty so I am going to change the oil now (using 20W50).
Thanks!!

Good tunes! Have fun - best time of year to be in BZN

Change you oil on miles/time, not on looks, though. Oil will look dirty quickly - but follow the schedule and you will be fine.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

What year are your heads from?

Glad you found it and was easy too

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

That's awesome! I am very glad to hear you and your son can continue on your trip! I'm also driving my Bus to Yellowstone but in Sept/Oct and I hope if I have any issues they are so quick to be fixed!

Post some photos of your trip.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

Just came across your post. Very glad to learn it was only a small problem with a simple fix. May your trip be further mechanically uneventful! Smile
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded? Exhaust leak in Miles City, Montana Reply with quote

Thanks guys! We made it to Bozeman today without issue, and we are off to Yellowstone tomorrow. the bus ran like a dream today. Cylinder Head temps between 350 and 380 all day on some hot mountainous roads. We are looking forward to entering the park tomorrow!
Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: