Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy pop-top selling price?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

Hi All,

What would be a fair selling price for a Westy pop-top and luggage rack off a 1990 Vanagon? The top, seals and skylight are in good condition, the canvas is okay. The top will be removed from the van. Pick-up or delivery would be in Seattle.

Thanks for any suggestions or recent sale prices.

Jim

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

I sold one about 10 years ago for five or six hundred and I think it was without the tent. Can't remember exactly. I would think you could get a bit more these days. You just need to find the right local buyer. Today I would list it for $1000 and see if you get any takers. They seem to be pretty in demand these days. You'll also need to include the mounting hardware.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

I have seen them listed for $1000-1500. If the top is color matched to the van it can mean a repaint depending on the buyers van.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

I may be wrong on this, but I think Westy tops are only valuable if they also include the roof clip. People are typically in the market for these tops to do conversions on tin-top Syncros and for that you need to also have the donor roof.

If you have just the fiberglass portions, that's great for someone who has a damaged top, but I think the demand for replacement parts is a lot lower.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

Seems like someone could buy this and the recently burned shell that JudoJeff is parting with and have a good start on a real Westy.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
I have seen them listed for $1000-1500. If the top is color matched to the van it can mean a repaint depending on the buyers van.

Good point. It's off of a silver van so it's the non-color matched, ivory-like color.

Paulbeard wrote:
Seems like someone could buy this and the recently burned shell that JudoJeff is parting with and have a good start on a real Westy.

My top is in WA, JJ's van is in MA. Location, location, location... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

My top is in WA, JJ's van is in MA. Location, location, location... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The parts are there for the right (determined) person. If I had space for a project…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

I was going to pm you, but realized you're too far away. Also have cabinets, bed, etc.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

it's the lack of space that's more an issue. Trucking it here is not that big a deal, prolly easier than packing a poptop Wink

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

Closing the loop on this one...

I sold the pop-top (with luggage rack, hardware, good skylight, no tent), 8 Yakima raingutter towers (w/ locks), 8 Yakima sideloaders (installed) and 4 Yakima round bars for about $1,000.

I believe it was a fair deal. It's going on a sunroof Syncro.

Abscate wrote:

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

glad you made a sale

but very very sad a rare & unique Syncro sunroof will loose it's roof.
well unless the buyer doesn't scalp the sunroof off, and only caps it with a westy top.
then it's ok.. in my unimportant opinion of course. Embarassed

jimf909 wrote:
Closing the loop on this one...

I sold the pop-top (with luggage rack, hardware, good skylight, no tent), 8 Yakima raingutter towers (w/ locks), 8 Yakima sideloaders (installed) and 4 Yakima round bars for about $1,000.

I believe it was a fair deal. It's going on a sunroof Syncro.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top selling price? Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
I may be wrong on this, but I think Westy tops are only valuable if they also include the roof clip. People are typically in the market for these tops to do conversions on tin-top Syncros and for that you need to also have the donor roof.

Regarding the roof clip, it is not necessary for some applications. I'm on some other forums and there are guys out there putting Westy poptops on Chevy Express and Astro vans, Suburbans, Econolines, etc. Most of them just want the headroom and probably aren't interested in the whole substructure that goes with the top. Craigslist awaits.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: