Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Since you seem determined to do a vw bus and not a vanagon westy. I'd at least suggest a type 4 engine (carbs if you want simplicity, MSD with hydro lifters if you want to do less work. The Asian market may love the MSD scene. I know there is a cult following of MSD) The type 4 may be more complex (still basic as crap) but they are much more robust and have basic things like a oil filter and oil cooler built in. With a newly rebuilt type 4, you should be able to make it through your whole trip without breaking into the block.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tolstoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

For the sake of argument..........

I would do an early bay, 69-71. Either do a type 4 conversion while dropping about $20k to have Raby build the engine for you.......or build a bone stock, brand new case 1600dp with as many German parts as possible. No "hey, I found this case and after I blah, blah it should be ok". I mean everything new, full race balanced, and as close to bone stock as possible with real German steel. Maybe hit it with a set of small dual carbs, but that is it. Wagonswest lift kit to add a touch of ground clearance, some 15" rims and beefy all terrains, and some decant HD shocks.

Keep all break systems bone stock. If she came with drums, roll them, just keep everything as tip top, adjusted as possible. No aftermarket disk bullshit, don't want to complicate parts availability with stuff that is too specific.

Or buy a late Vanagon Westy Sycro and stuff a Subaru bastard and be done with it. Probably run you about $80k......but prob too easy.

Tolstoy
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Asia is not the land of ACVW parts like the America's. If I HAD to go VW Bus I would source an early Vanagon with the slow but simple diesel and an automatic, and have both of them rebuilt correctly before the journey. Asia runs lots of diesels so mechanics will be more helpful when the inevitable happens. I would never go with a dual carb gas engine there, fuel quality is bad,bad in many places. This needs to be a careful and proper decision for you, there is no getting help in Myanmar,or Laos, or Cambodia. I have family living there for 20plus years, its a different game.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I'm going to have to agree with the non-vw engine concept. Consider: the late model Mexican bug engine you currently have was the best choice for an air-cooled engine because it has all of the best technology: latest possible air-cooled metallurgy, factory oil filter, (non-smogged) fuel injection, electronic ignition, etc. which (like current production vehicles) should have provided the best possible reliability. If that wouldn't stay together for you, then certainly 40 year old technology won't stand a chance.

For a trip to where you're planning, I'd be thinking in terms of liquid-cooled cast iron diesel (with really really good fuel filters). Unfortunately, AFAIK, VW never went in this direction...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Exactly, I've met quite a few globe trekking bus owners and remarkably most didn't have any mechanical knowledge above basic oil changes and brake adjustments, but they did plan in the odd extra day here and there in thier intenerary for possible breakdowns or maintenance time so there was never a "deadline" to be a certain place right now, If thier bus started making a noise or was down on power there wasn't any question about missing out on some epic surf or some other distraction, they got thier ride fixed ASAP and the other stuff just had to wait.

It's all about the priorities and having the smarts to plan for the worst scenario just in case.

I'll forgive you for not keeping up my journey and making comments like this if you forgive me for not videoing and documenting every routine maintenance over the past 100,000kms.

Remember that noise I heard in the transmission that didn't sound right, so I left the bus and the project for 9 months to resolve the issue rather than push on and risk becoming stranded even though I was only 1500kms to the finish line?!

Every single time I have stopped and removed my engine or anything else for he past 2 years it has been preventative maintenance. Believe that or not, it doesn't matter.

I can't stop the Kombi from breaking, it wasn't designed for what I ask of it. All I can do is fix things as best and as quickly as I can when the issues do arise
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:

I'm restoring my 68 in anticipation of driving it "around the world" too.

I came to the thread hoping to find a little info. Would I be better served with a new thread?

Glad you posted. You are not alone, there are many people considering overlanding in a bus. It's important to note here the unanimous voice of opposition from so many VW people here on this forum. However it is possible, it has been done and it will be done again, quite possibly by you and I. It isn't something that is easy and not for one second should anyone consider it to be so.

I'm hoping now that people have vented that they will get back to doing what they do best, providing valuable information and advice to the world on specific VW topics.

I'm sure future generations would be interested in preparation and modifications. I certainly would. Please feel free to post away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Screw it Ben. Traveling around in a Bus is so yesterday. Get creative. There's a sweet Unimog for sale down the street from me.

For the record. The Unimog (which autocorrects as "unimaginable" is THE worst choice for an overlanding vehicle. IMHO

Ben, you are so correct on the Unimog. But then again why would a Kombi from Chlie to Alaska seem cool and reliable. It's because most people outside this circle of ACVW folks, thinks it's unique and can't be done. I mean common your boys at University of Shefield probably thought you mad for taking such a journey in a Kombi. You did. You spent a fuck load of your own money on this journey. Found a way to make money, and offended some folks who care about ACVW. Yet here you are with balls of steel asking more questions. I actually appauld that tenacious attitude. It's real. As much destain as I've had for your selfish Shangins. I truly believe you mean well. Even through self promotion. Ben, do not mistake me. I'm not demeaning you as a human. I think you a rather nice fellow.

You have two Blog things going. One that is some sort of hedonist good time fun boy. Which is awesome. And one asking for help. The help one is painful to follow.

Good luck Ben. I will wish you the best. And will continue to bust your balls Wink

But if someone in the middle of Asia offers to help. Show up. And help them out. You might need to to deal with some Zebu Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

You have two Blog things going. One that is some sort of hedonist good time fun boy. Which is awesome. And one asking for help. The help one is painful to follow.

Good luck Ben. I will wish you the best. And will continue to bust your balls Wink

Hey, I figured nobody really suggests a unimog as a serious overlanding contender, although we've seen about 10 on this journey, mostly driven by Germans.
As for the previously mentioned 'Suburban' I'm not sure if American cars are available outside of the US, I don't recall seeing any in Europe anyway.

As for the aspect of asking for support. It's my least favorite part of the job. The way I see it I have 2 options.

Work then travel - this is what I did previously - in this style, after working, whilst I am traveling I don't want to be working at all so I wouldn't be able to document the journey.

Or work whilst I travel - which is what I am doing now. Unfortunately it takes thousands of dollars to purchase the equipment necessary, (and afford the maintenance of the Kombi) and takes over 40 hours a week so there is no more time left to do a paid job to fund that time. Some people understand it and they support my work. That's pretty awesome I think.
But a lot of people, including yourself, don't understand the amount of work involved. which is why I have to 'appeal for help' (I'm currently in Starbucks, again, on an all day edit btw)

This means I have to self promote my project and tell people about the ways that they can support me for the content that I provide 100% for free - supporting is voluntary, content is free regardless.

I hope you enjoy the coming season (20+ videos, 2 weeks each in post production) Unfortunately I will from time to time have to continue to market the support channels so that they may be a future series.

You have inspired 2 future videos with this post, so I thank you for that.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Moderator note:
I am doing some clean up, lets get back on the topic of his questions without all the abuse and "stupid" photos.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

What's your budget? Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

How set are you on a Bus? Would you go Vanagon? Only $20,000 CND http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto...nFlag=true Drop a TDI in this and enjoy. You could even setup an editing studio in there
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
How set are you on a Bus? Would you go Vanagon? Only $20,000 CND http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto...nFlag=true Drop a TDI in this and enjoy. You could even setup an editing studio in there
[img]
[/img]

Forget "Vanalong" & just call it the high-center special.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Don't think that front slider is gonna live up to its name...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I would look for a 76-79, beef up / regear the tranny and drop in a zetec or Subaru.. Or tdi.. Orr any modern engine those three seem to have the most support from the Vanagon crowd. You already found a westy that you're being gifted right? What year is it? That will help all these knowledgeable people help you..

As far as camping supplies, seems like you would already have that figured out Smile

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

Where are you going to be building this next bus? The USA? Canada? Mexico? Jersey?

Have you read the Volkswagen Technical Information Booklet "Journeys Under Difficult Conditions-Z4"? It's written by the Volkswagen engineers and details recommend preparations and modifications to be made to their Type 2 and LT models if they are going to be used in areas outside of Central Europe. I think you'll find it very interesting, you can find an online copy here: http://wetwesties.tripod.com/Journeys1/01.html click through the links and you will even find the Volkswagen engineering drawings for the recommended protection plates and reinforcement parts.

My own recommendation would be to find a very original, unmolested, late model Mexican specification type 2 with the factory fitted watercooled, fuel injected 1.8 litre engine producing 90PS. They were sold in Mexico until 2001. I think it would be easier to find parts for this watercooled engine where you are going, but I would also consider swapping this motor for a 1Z/AHU code 1.9TDI. The turbodiesel should be cheaper to run (especially in Europe), improve your range and be less likely to burst into flames! I believe the blocks of the 1Z and AHU engines are very similar to the watercooled petrol engine found in the Mexican Type 2, so hopefully it would be a fairly straightforward swap. The gearbox would need to be re-geared to get the best from the engine and while you are in there you could fit some of the oiling plates that they added to the later South African 5-cylinder T3 Type 2s and a limited slip differential for improved traction.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

DiVo wrote:
I would look for a 76-79, beef up / regear the tranny and drop in a zetec or Subaru.. Or tdi.. Orr any modern engine those three seem to have the most support from the Vanagon crowd. You already found a westy that you're being gifted right? What year is it? That will help all these knowledgeable people help you..

As far as camping supplies, seems like you would already have that figured out Smile

I don't actually already have a vehicle lined up - but the hunting process starts now.

When you say regear the tranny, you mean for low end torque?
What about installing a limited slip differential? Would that be a good way of improving the 2wd?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

OrangeZA wrote:
Hi Ben,

Where are you going to be building this next bus? The USA? Canada? Mexico? Jersey?

Have you read the Volkswagen Technical Information Booklet "Journeys Under Difficult Conditions-Z4"? It's written by the Volkswagen engineers and details recommend preparations and modifications to be made to their Type 2 and LT models if they are going to be used in areas outside of Central Europe. I think you'll find it very interesting, you can find an online copy here: http://wetwesties.tripod.com/Journeys1/01.html click through the links and you will even find the Volkswagen engineering drawings for the recommended protection plates and reinforcement parts.

My own recommendation would be to find a very original, unmolested, late model Mexican specification type 2 with the factory fitted watercooled, fuel injected 1.8 litre engine producing 90PS. They were sold in Mexico until 2001. I think it would be easier to find parts for this watercooled engine where you are going, but I would also consider swapping this motor for a 1Z/AHU code 1.9TDI. The turbodiesel should be cheaper to run (especially in Europe), improve your range and be less likely to burst into flames! I believe the blocks of the 1Z and AHU engines are very similar to the watercooled petrol engine found in the Mexican Type 2, so hopefully it would be a fairly straightforward swap. The gearbox would need to be re-geared to get the best from the engine and while you are in there you could fit some of the oiling plates that they added to the later South African 5-cylinder T3 Type 2s and a limited slip differential for improved traction.

Actually, any of the inline 4 motors would bolt onto that bellhousing. It is the rest of the block that changed around 1999. You wouldn't be able to use the factory watercooled VW Bus mounting parts on a motor after about 1999.

The oiling plates likely would not fit in the transmission. I asked about that when I had mine rebuilt for my '78. I would hazard a guess that the rest of the Mexican watercooled Bus' transmission (beyond the bellhousing) is more like a late bay than the Vanagon.

I would have to bet that the 1.8 motor in those Mexican Buses has to be one of the most common VW motors ever, anywhere (Edit: outside of a T1 motor, but there are probably more surviving 1.8 motors nowadays with more people around the world familiar enough with them to keep them running). I think if I was going to drive all over the world in a VW Bus, then a Mexican watercooled one would probably be a great choice.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
OrangeZA wrote:
Hi Ben,

Actually, any of the inline 4 motors would bolt onto that bellhousing. It is the rest of the block that changed around 1999. You wouldn't be able to use the factory watercooled VW Bus mounting parts on a motor after about 1999.

The oiling plates likely would not fit in the transmission. I asked about that when I had mine rebuilt for my '78. I would hazard a guess that the rest of the Mexican watercooled Bus' transmission (beyond the bellhousing) is more like a late bay than the Vanagon.

I would have to bet that the 1.8 motor in those Mexican Buses has to be one of the most common VW motors ever, anywhere (Edit: outside of a T1 motor, but there are probably more surviving 1.8 motors nowadays with more people around the world familiar enough with them to keep them running). I think if I was going to drive all over the world in a VW Bus, then a Mexican watercooled one would probably be a great choice.

This is the correct answer to the question, + buy spare fuel filters if
that Mexi-spec bus is CIS injected(I believe it is) those FI systems act
out when fed watery fuel. This way, the drama can continue, in a
controlled fashion. Only thing 1.8 is known for is coking up oil control
rings & maybe the drillings in the crankshaft-that doesn't happen till
300,000+ miles. Go for it!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5663577270.html

This thing is awesome.

Oh man X2. I was thinking the same thing but was too lazy to edit the post.
Thanks for cleaning it up. That thing is a beast!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Shocked Riding the "short bus"- very popular here in Quartzsite during the winter when the markets (as in FLEA/ ROCK n mineral) are in full swing.

Those carry lots of art murals on the sides and tie dyed cuties inside- but you would need foot long hair and matching purple beard- Laughing Laughing Laughing

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 41

Jump to: