Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 - 74 turn signal switch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

Okay - for those of you who have succesfully reassembled one of these turn signal switches, how the heck did you get it back together? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Or if you want to make a few bucks I can maybe mail all the bits to you....

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

Use sticky grease to hold the balls and springs in place while you herd it all into place, a smaller C clamp or rubber bands can help keep things sort of where they belong until you can pinch it fully shut.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

you using the pic from the other thread? your ball in the right place?
kaiisons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

I super glue the small springs to the brass contact this stops it from going in crooked and I use grease to hold the copper roller halfway up the bridge.

This is the way that i do it assuming you've installed the trigger and springs onto the bridge and super glued the springs onto the brass contact

1. Hold the steel cage in your hand and install the bridge into to the two holes.
2. Put some grease in the middle of the "V" on the bridge and install copper roller
3. roll the bridge forward outside of the cage with one hand and with the arm in your other hand squeeze the spring against the copper roller IMPORTANT! make sure the spring is square with the roller.
4. roll bridge back upright ensuring you line up the hole on the main body with the steel cage and the pin on the trigger is in the slot on the cage and in the body.
5. hold everything together squarely and put the bottom plate on squarely! I use a cable tie to hold everything together before I fold the ears on the cage down.

Good luck!
rowling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses. Sorry for taking awhile to answer - in my attempt to reassemble the switch I managed to lose one of the two small springs. I cleaned off my work bench, pulled the bench out from the wall, went through the garbage, swore, had a beer, went through the garbage again, swept the floor a few times and still could not find it.

Gave up, had another beer and figured I would try to make a spring out of a ball point pen spring and it looked not too bad - a bit bigger but still ok. Crazy glued the assembly together as suggested and still struggled with reassembling.

Gave up again and went on to something else. I am much like a crow - when I see something shiny my attention is easily diverted. So I am fiddling with the gas pedal / kick down switch and what do I see... that tiny spring. I could have sworn it was in the assembly when I had it on the bench, but whatever... I'll take it.

So back to reassembling - the ball, as suggested, is in what I think is the right position - at the end of the switch arm.

Just to confirm, the cylinder, a.k.a. roller, is inserted, somehow, into the body against the spring pressure and the flat face fits in the groove of the plastic section that has the hammer connected. The pictures in other threads show the cylinder / roller up and down as opposed to horizontal and inserted against the spring.

Is that right or is there something obvious that I am missing?
kaiisons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

The pictures show the correct orientation. The flat ends are up and down, not against the spring.
rowling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

I got it figured out and - hopefully - successfully reassembled. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

If I find all the pieces after an incident like that it usually means it will go back together perfectly.

I have dropped ball bearings from the ignition switch internals outdoors under the bus and found them again in the dark, after I found the replacement was wrong and I needed to put the original back together after a forensic disassembly.
I have dropped the unique grubscrew from the ignition switch and found it...

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

Quote:
I have dropped ball bearings from the ignition switch internals outdoors under the bus and found them again in the dark, after I found the replacement was wrong and I needed to put the original back together after a forensic disassembly.

For those of you seeking something you lost. Prayer. I dropped a ball bearing in the 2mm size range once out of a very expensive one of a kind distributor for a very expensive Italian sports car. After 30 minutes of looking for it all around the garage - where the door was sealed so it could not escape, I prayed, "Lord just show me where it is please." About 10 seconds later I had a vision of it under a piece of 2x4 30' away, a place where it could not have rolled if it wanted to because there were obstacles in the way. Guess where it was. Under that piece of 2x4. Prayer.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

Question for all that can tell me if my original 72 switch has the same internal
White plastic pieces as found on the 73-74 with the longer stalk.?

Thanks, Chris
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

For those of you seeking something you lost. Prayer. I dropped a ball bearing in the 2mm size range once out of a very expensive one of a kind distributor for a very expensive Italian sports car. After 30 minutes of looking for it all around the garage - where the door was sealed so it could not escape, I prayed, "Lord just show me where it is please." About 10 seconds later I had a vision of it under a piece of 2x4 30' away, a place where it could not have rolled if it wanted to because there were obstacles in the way. Guess where it was. Under that piece of 2x4. Prayer.

When I lost my wife the Creator answered my prayers by sending her sister. Later on, that ended poorly. Turned out Feklar played a hand.
kaiisons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 - 74 turn signal switch Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Question for all that can tell me if my original 72 switch has the same internal
White plastic pieces as found on the 73-74 with the longer stalk.?

Thanks, Chris

Trigger and Bridge piece are the same. The main body at the end of the stick is different in that the diameter is 5mm vs 6mm for the later units
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: