Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Props To SG Kent
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Say what you will, but SG Kent comes through in a pinch.

Not shared in all of its horrifying detail here on theSamba, I have been having issues with that big orange Westy I awoke from a twenty year sleep on October 5th, 2015.

It was aeromech, I believe, who suggested that the gas tank might need a cleaning after sitting for twenty years in the thread:

'77 Campmobile - Bringing out of 20 yrs of storage to sell

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8087644&highlight=#8087644.

It was yours truly who actually got gas to flow out of the tank after reaming the return nipple and the outlet nipple with a coat hanger through a good half inch of crusty crap.

Yeah, so I thought a nice little Itinerary would clean it out good with a few filter cleanings along the way.

Note To Self: It Does Not Work That Way

By the time I reached Sacramento CA, 1,000 gallons of fuel and 18,264 miles had NOT cleaned out the tank. In fact, that 18,264 miles since October had finally de-laminated the crud from the walls and I was down to cleaning the filter every friggen city block. Then, just one half mile from SG Kent's house, the fuel hose would no longer pass any fuel.

SGKent is thankfully a very focused guy and dove in to help me in my very darkest hour. He helped me to drop the engine, pull the tank, get the tank to his pals at the radiator shop, get the left rear tire repaired (it had swallowed a screw from one of my innumerable road shoulder dives when the engine would conk out), help me to restore smooth function to the sender unit, heckled me to hang the starter-to-double relay harness, feed me, make sure that I did necessary laundry, and kept the climate control system at a very nice state of chill to help me recover from my hot deliriums of fury.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See, when you actually meet the people behind the keyboards here, you discover as I have thousands of times now, that we have the finest bunch of car enthusiasts extant. Thank you, SGKent!

I really want to post that photograph I took of SGKent . . .
Colin
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Goodonya Steve!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Just more confirmation of what we long suspected!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Damn Steve, if you keep taking in these strays you'll have the neighbours complaining about the commune and it's wierd inhabitants effecting local property values, I hear Hasta is looking for a place to winter, you could become a youtube sensation!. Razz

I'm impressed you made it as far as you did with that funky tank Colin, a remarkable feat in it's own right. Good to hear it's dealt with now and being able to do it in luxury conditions sure makes the job better than roadside in Death valley.

Yay! Steve!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

meh....steve's ok Very Happy

he'd be the first call if I was in trouble or looking for a beer

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

What Colin did not tell you is that we had to argue over him letting go of the plane ticket in his back pocket which was the backup plan if it broke down one more time. Smile Come on Colin, set the ticket down... NO - I need it. Come one Colin, you can trust it... No! I am tired of being doused in gasoline 20 times a day. I can't even feel my eyebrows anymore they hurt from the gasoline that keeps splashing on me ... are they still there? ...

Just kidding. He suffered taking 5 - 6 hours to travel the last 35 miles downhill the tank clogged so frequently. I think he could have coasted faster if he just put it in neutral ...

Having owned a bus and having faced many frustrating moments during the racing years, having good blood sugar, a shower, and clean clothes helps with keeping focus. Unfortunately I snored the last night so loud in the next room he went out and slept in his bus in the garage. I wish I could have added we offered him "a peaceful place to sleep..." but that is only partially true.

Thank you for your kind words Colin.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Congratulations to Steve and Colin for a great collaboration that finished well. You know as we all go though life there are times when people are given the opportunity to step forward and give help that's above and beyond. Thanks Steve.

Today my ship came in. There has been many times when I've given back. Times when I've helped people who really needed it and I didn't ask for anything in return. I just felt good because I was able to use my talents and make a bus owners day better. Well boys, what goes around, comes around and there's a guy named BrionP that has given me a wonderful gift.

Next week I'll fill you in. Right now I just want you all to know that there are good people in the world and one in particular has made me very happy.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

While removing and cleaning out the tank is the approved way to go, sometimes I am lazy.
But sometimes there is loose stuff in the tank and it is a problem. I've sewn a magnet (breaking a speaker magnet up) into a bag made of a T shirt sleeve, and attached it to a wire coat hanger. Slide that down the fuel filler and let it sit in the fuel and it picks up loose ferrous material. Hooks over the gas cap edge, so the cap doesn't seat properly with a good seal. When filling the tank I remove the magnet on a wire, and knock the chunks off.

This does not work for dirt or plastic bags or dead mice or any non ferrous detritus. It has helped with rust, and eventually it stops catching chunks and I remove the magnet.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Way to go Steve. Applause Dancing

Helping a fellow driver in need!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

The best of the best helping the best of the best.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Well, Skills didn't ask, so I guess I will. Twisted Evil

Colin, why on earth... with all those years of experience... all those people you have helped learn about their bus... all those roadside rebuilds and all that deeply earned knowledge...

WHY did you not service that grossly fouled tank when you knew very well it needed it?

I dare say any other person would have been thoroughly flogged by this forum if they said "l seem to be fouling fuel filters often, but I'm going to drive across country now"

Before any of you get all bent out of shape, I say this in good humor!

Well, mostly good! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Two thumbs way up, Steve... way to represent the hobby at its finest!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

Colin, why on earth... with all those years of experience... all those people you have helped learn about their bus... all those roadside rebuilds and all that deeply earned knowledge...

WHY did you not service that grossly fouled tank when you knew very well it needed it?

I dare say any other person would have been thoroughly flogged by this forum if they said "l seem to be fouling fuel filters often, but I'm going to drive across country now"

Before any of you get all bent out of shape, I say this in good humor!
Well, mostly good! Wink

I know you talking fun smack. But honestly. I feel he was collecting ACVW data
we couldn't comprehend. I saw it first hand up in the Cascade Mountains.
Instead of me helping him hold a tube of fuel. He starts adjusting my idle.

He's that kind of guy.

Way to go Steve. I know you're the Sactamento bad boy. Mad props.
Now take that sweet bus for a ride.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

I thought I could drive it clean. And it did behave after the first thousand miles, where I didn't need to clean the filter but once a week.

Now then, here is what the schedule looked like, once I knew I was in trouble:

Jun 9 Done! 70Crew .......................... Grand Rapids MI
Jun 11 Done! Pearl76 ............................. La Porte IN
Jun 12 Done! andrewtf .............................. Urbana IL
Jun 14 Done! Squeebles............................Lafayette IN
Jun 15 Done! andrewtf .............................. Urbana IL
Jun 17 Done! locoqueso .......................... Grayslake IL
Jun 18 Done! Happyfolk ............................. Verona WI
Jun 19 Done! THall ................................. Verona WI
Jun 21 Done! Darbronnoco ............................ Elgin MN
Jun 22 Done! the miz ................................ Eagan MN
Jun 23 Done! BusBerd ........................ Brooklyn Park MN
Jun 25 Done! Mulcheese ........................ Maple Grove MN
Jun 26 Done! Eskimo Tom........................... Richmond MN
Jun 28 Done! Belle Plaine .................... Belle Plaine MN
Jun 29 Done! Grifftenstein .................... Saint Peter MN
JUN 30 Done! djmiller ............................. Mankato MN
Jul 1 Done! lilpig88 ......................... Orange City IA
Jul 3 Done! mpls-ham ........................... Spearfish SD
Jul 6 Done! waterdawg2004 ....................... Gillette WY
Jul 9 Done! whc03grady ........................ Livingston MT
Jul 11 Done! Mountain Prana ...................Jackson Hole WY
Jul 13 Done! mtcamper ............................ Missoula MT
Jul 16 Done! Ronin10 .............................. Seattle WA
Jul 18 Done! bukidbus .............................. Roslyn WA
Jul 20 Done! 83AC .............................. The Dalles OR
Jul 22 Done! Ol Shadow ......................... Hood River OR
Jul 23 Done! 71whitewesty ...................... Hood River OR
Jul 26 Done! Upsim/Rusty Sub ..................... Portland OR
Jul 28 Done! vistacruzer ......................... Portland OR
Jul 29 Done! Kurt ................................ Portland OR
Aug 3 Done! pdlrofdrms ............................ Eureka CA
Aug 11 Done! Slow Lane .......................... Livermore CA
Aug 14/5 Done! SG Kent ..................... Citrus Heights CA

Once the Itinerary is /on, it is a cascade of dominos all across this land, and the only logical landing spot was right there at SGKent, because SGKent sent me a PM with a gas tank cleaning shop lined up and a serious Get The Job Done attitude. I was doing all right until that last day . . . Shocked

By the way, I did meet people and learn things as I battled this Sisyphean Filter Hill. One thing I learned was exactly every nuance of fuel starvation known to man. I learned that Lucas fuel treatment turns varnish into coffee grounds while SeaFoam actually liquifies it, I learned that these L-Jetronic fuel injection systems are robust, I learned that a screaming fuel pump is not necessarily a bad fuel pump, and I learned that the rest of you only need to buy two fuel filters for the rest of the time you are on this mortal coil, they clean up beautifully thirty or forty or was it fifty times? sixty times . . . Razz
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Xevin was right! Data collection! Cool

That's um... A pretty tight schedule. Shocked
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

More props to SGKent from a mostly, now, lurker.

-dasdachshund
Eskimotom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

BRAVO!!!

I have to add that Colin's visit this year, my first, truly changed my world, not just as it relates to my VW but gaining some recognition of problem solving, tackling tasks I might have thrown my hands up for, and gaining a degree of self confidence in other broader areas of my existence.

Eskimo Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Eskimotom wrote:
BRAVO!!!

I have to add that Colin's visit this year, my first, truly changed my world, not just as it relates to my VW but gaining some recognition of problem solving, tackling tasks I might have thrown my hands up for, and gaining a degree of self confidence in other broader areas of my existence.

Eskimo Tom

Most of us aren't, and will never be, master mechanics. There is a huge step up you can take to close the distance between the decent mechanic and the master to the stopping point of advanced mechanic, and that is...

......Changing from a symptom based repair approach to a diagnosis troubleshooting approach.

These cars are so simple that the troubleshooting approach is extremely effective. My Volvo, OTOh, once activated the starter up inhibit by a combination of closing the rear hatch, and then locking the passenger door with the interior button.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

Quote:
closing the rear hatch, and then locking the passenger door with the interior button.

It was either anticipating your needs, or maybe trying to escape Smile My scottish terrier female does that too - she watches which way you look when a door is open and scoots around you to the other side in your blind spot. She has it down to a science. Usually her giggles and dancing, "I did it again," give her hiding place away. By chance did the Volvo giggle? That might be a clue what it was thinking Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Props To SG Kent Reply with quote

It took me two hours to figure out what was wrong with it, and I was 100 miles from home. Luckily weather was nice but I did have a boat on the hitch so towing was going to be ugly.

Volvos definitely giggle at you. Trying to get to the turbo BOV M6 screw without taking the engine out is an absolute laugh fest.

I RR the alternator and working it out past the inline 5, transverse motor was a Chinese to torture puzzle

Last edited by Abscate on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: