Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Heat Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

The question comes up a lot in summer.

Things that help:

Run premium gasoline or at least mid-grade.

Add a phenolic spacer and a gasket on each side to stop heat soak from the manifold. There are probably other sources. http://www.evolveeng.com/automotive_parts/carburetor_heat_isolator.html

Slice open a larger hose and wire tie it around the fuel hose or metal line where it is near heat sources.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

Timely post Steve, I've tried all of that except the wrapping of the lines and the super duper base gasket, most of the action happens in the lines and the fuel pump. Premium non ethanol isn't what it used to be either, I have some of each stored in Jerry cans for mowers, etc. and that premium puffs up the can faster than the regular ethanol crap if you don't open the vent, still smells the same but the formula isn't like it used to be, much more volatile lately.

The EAA (experimental aircraft association) discovered this years ago when they went through the the exhausting process of getting certification to use auto gas in aircraft, the major issue aside from alcohol eating critical components was the low vapor pressure of auto gas, especially when subjected to higher altitudes. You have to buy thier paperwork to get the whole deal but there may be something useful in this non EAA sites links: http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/homebuilt-aircraft/aviation-fuel-mogas.php (As a member I'm not saying much more in regards to what the STC says since it's something you have to buy and thier lawyers can easily beat up my lawyers, yes I read the "agreement"). It's not an issue in modern fuel injected cars where the system maintains 30 psi+ at all times and circulates fresh gas every few seconds, but in near atmosphere systems like our carbed VW's or even worse a gravity fed aircraft system it becomes a real issue. Add some heat soak from being cooped up in a hot engine compartment when you park and visit the grocery store and that stuff boils, regardless of how expensive it was at the pump.

I'm currently in the first day of testing the bleed off mod we've been discussing the last few years, it worked fine yesterday when it was in the mid 80's here but today is cool so it's going to be a few days until I can post some real results.As it currently stands it's 2 Tees between the inlet and outlet of the fuel pump, one has a restrictor in it. So far so good, no hot start issues even after a vigorous drive and a 20+ minute sit (prime conditions for 10-15 extra seconds of cranking before), fingers crossed.

Nissan went to a return line system on thier cars in mid 1970 with a reed valve at the carb inlet leading back to the tank, any excess pressure tha built up was relieved by the valve, earlier cars that never had issues in the past are now making bubbles in the fuel filter and flooding when parked hot, even though thier owners spoil them with the finest gasolines available.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

Got a link to the bleed off theory?

I'm at my wits end trying to find nose-down parking spots here in the Midwest.

I'll try the fuel line wrap tomorrow; I have a nice six hour trip planned for Tuesday and I'll report back.

Placing an ice cube on the pump and an ice cube on the bowl got me through South Dakota's wasteland of ethanol. "Now you can select 10, 20, 30, or 85 percent garbage at the pump!"

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

I'm at my wits end

Do you have the dual diaphragm fuel pump, Robbie?

My anti-flooding program with Chloe was:
* routed the fuel line from the tank to the pump according to the factory.
* dropped the fuel level in the bowl to the lower limit.
* used the little ball-end needle valve
* ran a lean idle mixture.

Always started with accelerator on the floor. Never didn't start.
Colin
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

I'm not sure where the first thread on it went and just what keywords will elicit the rest, but it boils down to relieving the pressure spike between the pump and carb after shutdown when the heat that was pushed down by the cooling system suddenly rises, even the finest needle and seat can only stand so much boily fuel.

My fix is a tee in each line with a small orfice between them, I drilled a #60 hole in a soldered up fitting to do it but others have jammed a Weber idle jet into a section of hose to achieve the same result. Ideally the bled off fuel would lead back to the tank above the fuel level but I'm living on the edge and trying the semi lazy option, it relys on a good needle and seat, although my current Brazilian fuel pump really doesn't do much to stop gravity flow already so I'm not all that worried.

I haven't put a gauge in to see what pressure drop results from the #60 bleed, but there's no difference in how it drives with the possibly reduced fuel pressure so far.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

I agree with Busdaddy that premium isn't as good as it was a few years ago. Even the alcohol free stuff doesn't give that good of a hot restart any more.

Here is a previous thread on this subject:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6820610
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

Do you have the dual diaphragm fuel pump, Robbie?

My anti-flooding program with Chloe was:
* routed the fuel line from the tank to the pump according to the factory.
* dropped the fuel level in the bowl to the lower limit.
* used the little ball-end needle valve
* ran a lean idle mixture.

Always started with accelerator on the floor. Never didn't start.
Colin

I don't know of the ball-end needle valve. But my idle mixture is always around 14.7, though I refuse to change it every time I go up a few thousand feet if I'm going back down soonish. Duel diaphragm pump, yes. Interestingly, fuel pressure was set at 2.5psi when I installed it. Now we're sitting at 3psi, and I have no idea how. Unless the gaskets compressed through heat cycles, press should go DOWN over time with parts wear. (30pict3 like Chloe. Different fuel pressure specifications than 34pict3 like busdaddy.)

We always eventually start, but sometimes we get a puff of smoke and a some chuggy misfires for the first few seconds before it smooths out. I know that can't be good.

Even popping the decklid at hot shutdown seems to make a noticeable difference, as any breeze nearby can help out too.

Now that I think about it, I'm running the "thin" base gaskets on the carb. I have seen two thicknesses, and I'll try out the thicker style as soon as I can dig them out of the stash.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

Here's one of the previous related threads: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523787

Nissan dealt with the issue on their F-10 in the late 70's by installing a small powerful fan up in the LR corner of the engine compartment to blow on the carb a while after shut down, kind of a band aid but it worked.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

the early 70's Fiat 124 Spyder and Coupe, and my 82 CJ7 had a return line to the tank from the carb. There was a small orifice in the nipple that let a small amount of fuel return to the tank. Both engines used mechanical fuel pumps. That is the ultimate solution but it requires modifying the tank for the return line. That allows fuel to stay cooler and relieves excess pressure - the only caveat being that in a bus the tank is higher than the engine whereas in the other cars the tank was lower. I don't know what effect the higher tank will have.

Make sure that the tank vent system is working properly because pressure in the tank can play havoc with the carb.

Many of the 70's cars with carbs used the phenolic spacers - and some added a metal tray under the carb to act as a heat shield.
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

I tried the bleed off method and it seemed to work for a while. Soon enough though I had to do the same old 15 second crank over and it would putter on and reek of fuel for the next minute or so. yuk

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618963

I got tired of the stink. I have a cut off valve wired into coil power now. I only have 4 inches or so of fuel line after the cut off before it gets to the carb.

Its been in for about 6 months now. Its been nice not having to worry about vapor lock this summer Smile not a single issue since, at least with the carb. My engine has been running hot for a while and I'm stumped on that problem.
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's the white block mounted to the shroud.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

RocketSurgeon wrote:
I tried the bleed off method and it seemed to work for a while. Soon enough though I had to do the same old 15 second crank over and it would putter on and reek of fuel for the next minute or so. yuk.

Any chance the orfice got plugged or the JB weld swelled from the constant gas exposure?

I like the cutoff idea, trying to keep my engine compartment simple and stock looking is becoming a challenge, might have to break down and install one yet.

Слава Україні!
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

The tee looked untouched. Didn't clog and didn't swell. You can't quite tell in the pic but I have the fuel line running up over the fresh air outlet on the shroud. Tried to get it away from the dual port end piece heat.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

Interesting, with a little Googlage I found this http://www.centuryfuelproducts.com/afc-111-12-volt-lockoff-multi-fuel-shut-off-valve.html , tiny and unobtrusive enough I might break down and allow it into my engine compartment, hmmmmmm......
It'd solve the potential gravity feed issue if the needle and seat malfunctioned as well.

Слава Україні!
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

That is the same one I purchased. So far so good.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

I have this same problem with my stock 1600 DP 34PICT3 equipped 70 camper. Doesn't seem to change with higher quality fuel either. I am glad to see some possible solutions. I like the electro-cutoff switch. I wonder if it could be mounted on top of the fan shroud?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Interesting, with a little Googlage I found this http://www.centuryfuelproducts.com/afc-111-12-volt-lockoff-multi-fuel-shut-off-valve.html , tiny and unobtrusive enough I might break down and allow it into my engine compartment, hmmmmmm......
It'd solve the potential gravity feed issue if the needle and seat malfunctioned as well.

Busdaddy, what fuel pump are you using? Any chance it's the Pierburg pump with the cut off valve in it?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

I have a spare engine compartment door for my '73 think, so I drilled a 3" hole in it behind the license plate and have a computer fan mounted over the hole so that it will blow outside air over the intake manifold and carb aftershut down. I have a thermostatic switch which I need to figure out the best place to mount to give me the needed amount of run time. Will report back.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Busdaddy, what fuel pump are you using? Any chance it's the Pierburg pump with the cut off valve in it?

Sadly no, it's a generic unit that only says "made in Brazil", I went with it because it looked closest to the original 71 pump.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This issue isn't a gravity feed problem, it's pressure building in the pump and between the fuel pump and carb when heat soaked, so far the Tee's between the lines with the restrictor is working well but I do like the bonus security of the electric valve. No diluted oil if the needle and seat ever F up.

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Heak Soak Vapor Lock on 34-pict-3 Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I wonder if it could be mounted on top of the fan shroud?

The object of the game here is the shortest amount of line between the cutoff and the carb, if the valve was mounted close why not? But directly on the top of the shroud may put it in the path of all that hot air that comes out of the fan inlet when the fan stops and convection takes over, the rear face between the coil and carb would be better IMO.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: