Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

I have a bad boot on the intake manifold. Last time I replaced these, I took the engine out. Since the one I need to replace is on the left, ( little more room without the carburetor in the way), do you reckon I can take the manifold off in place? Seems a bit tight. Mighty obliged.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Reply with quote

My recollection is there should be No problem with swapping a boot in situ..
The manifold ends and center don't actually connect, but by the boot alone. This give plenty of "flex" room to rise the manifold ends off the head and slip the boot on...
I think..... Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

I have done it..

But as my good buddy Edd Chyna says... "It's a bit fiddly..."

Very Happy
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

They make split boots so you do not have to disassemble.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Split-Intake-Manifold-Boots-Each-113-129-729SP-p/113-129-729sp.htm
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

In the years I worked with VW split boots Suck. They are know for leaking. It is not hard to install the boots in the car. Just unbolt the heat risers, The intakes. If there is a bolt on the manifold that attaches to the block take it out. Lift the manifold up and slide it to one side. Take the boots out there is not a lot of room but it only takes less than a hour. Make sure to tighten the clamps tight so there is no leaks.
GB
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

For the effects of the smallest leak in this pre boots, there is NO way I'd trust a split boot..... That just seems silly that someone even produced them..... Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Do I have to take some metal out too? Cheers
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

No metal has to be removed, it is close but they go in and connect you might have to us a thin scribe to work them onto the manifold tubes but they go on and a lot quicker than pulling the engine.
GB
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

Mighty obliged guys. I guess a weekend project. Cheers
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

Be careful when you unbolt the manifolds at the heads. Make sure that you remove all the washers and nuts and get them away from the intakes. Don't drop anything down the intakes. From a long time ago experence . lol.
GB
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Replace manifold boot in place? Reply with quote

Thanks. I was able to successfully remove the left intake manifold. I had to only loosen the heater riser pipe. In the meantime the manifold cracked and the piece holding to the block broke off. Thankfully, nothing went down the chute. It was cracked for a while since it was not a fresh crack so that you can see exposed aluminum.Thanks for the help guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: