Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood keeps popping open!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urchinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Hood keeps popping open! Reply with quote

Okay...new cable, hood mechanism is oiled and working, but everytime I hit a bump the hood pops open? WTF (what the fudgesickles)? Any clues? I can't seem to correct this. In an unrelated topic....here is my dog enjoying a ride in Gloucestor, Mass. https://vimeo.com/98288122
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two separate possible fixes for this:

1. Lengthen the latch rod ( loosen the lock nut, screw out the latch bolt, tighten lock net

2. screw in the rubber tension bumpers to give more slack and allow complete latching.

Both of these will allow the latch to complete its job. Then the adjustment might need to be reversed os tha the hood does not rattle as you “rollin’ on down the road...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Urchinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kubelman...I'll be on it in the morning!
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any issues post again and I will add pictures, Extreme Sport Latch Adjusting is one of my long-time passsssssions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratpanel61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How convient! Mine is doing the exact same thing. It's about to drive me nuts too. It's like every time I stop somewhere I have to check it and re-latch it. now I know what I can try after work today.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mine I have to push down on the hood to get it latched-I can't just slam it shut.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you screw in your rubber tension bumpers. This creates enough free-play to fully latch the hood latch post.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Make sure your release handle is settling all the way back into the bracket in the glove box... Mine would often get turned a bit, and get stuck on the flat "lock" section and not settle back in... I've adjusted as noted above, and also paid extra attention to get the handle seated all the way.... No more issues...
Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point. Herr Kubelmann had the same issue with the handle getting stopped by the locking bracket tab. If you have the correct tension to the latch cable and the tab is straight and aligned with th bracket and it is properly lubricated. Not to mention getting the nylon shearing adjusted or even worse if your has the end crumble off so you are unaware that the collar on the tube is still another magical, mystery of the Thing hood latch engineering challenge. I have want to remove the entire mess and replace it with one of tow latches. the through the hood latches with the barrel key. offloading dzus fast lead captive screws, pin and clip latches or the best for last side mounting, rubber latches with metal brackets like atvs have or even military jeep hood latches. Anything is simpler to adjust and easier to open than the mess of an assembly VW created. HA!!
wojo12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood keeps popping open! Reply with quote

I wish to replace both parts of the hood latch and then try to tune it to stay down. The top part of the latch on my Thing has been welded and so I am unsure what it should be. I have found a source for the bottom part, but where can I buy the top part?
cat1pro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hood keeps popping open! Reply with quote

My hood opened doing 65mph on the highway....very bad sunday but everyone was safe and sound....thanks for the tips
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: