Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Feeler & YTM ads...
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Feeler & YTM ads... Reply with quote

Is there any point on doing a feeler ad? Yes ...or ... No... and why or why not...

Need some insight here...

Last edited by 0nebadbug on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

You either want to sell it or you don't, feeler ads are just some wishy-washy idiot that can't make a decision. If you don't want to sell it, put an unreasonable price on it or don't do it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

feeler ads Rolling Eyes I pass them by. Never did understand them either
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

Because people respond. It's curosity. People can't help themselves. The same thing happens with obvious scam adds on CL: Multiple people reach out for that cheap deal because 1/100 is a legit.

Sometimes the poster is just too lazy to research the market value and wants an average. Unless it's something rare with no current comparison, which is usually not the case.

"Feeler/YTM/offer" adds are always kind of sad for me though. I feel like most of the time it's just someone who wants to get above market on something. Jesus I'd hate to be in a financial place in life where I'm sifting through the boat load of responses to my fat chick feeler add because I need that extra $500 to keep my lights on.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
...my fat chick feeler add because I need that extra $500.

Oops, I was taking this in a totally different way, sorry.
Wink
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You either want to sell it or you don't, feeler ads are just some wishy-washy idiot that can't make a decision. If you don't want to sell it, put an unreasonable price on it or don't do it.

This, make a decision!

Or what someone else says, they are waiting for someone to make them an insane offer.
Yeah, that doesn't really happen, you just get people saying "How much?" or making you offers that will make you mad at the world.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

I think it depends on the item. As was mentioned before in a thread complaining about people listing cars/items at high prices, I have posted up items (non VW related) without prices mentioning that I was simply thinking about selling a certain desirable item and within an hour had it sold for more than I would have ever thought someone would pay... Granted, I think the VW culture seems more geared towards being as cheap as possible, it does work in at least some arenas.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

so.. whats a feeler add? craiglslist prostitute? Shocked
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

A "feeler ad" goes something like this: "I have a 1972 VW blah- model, and I am thinking of selling it. What are the 72 blah-blahs going for right now?"

These sort of ads set my teeth on edge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

static wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

A "feeler ad" goes something like this: "I have a 1972 VW blah- model, and I am thinking of selling it. What are the 72 blah-blahs going for right now?"

These sort of ads set my teeth on edge.

Not me, I'll offer the indecisive butt wipe scrap value for the car and I'll do it with a straight face. Who says you can't have fun and turn it around on them?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I think it depends on the item. As was mentioned before in a thread complaining about people listing cars/items at high prices, I have posted up items (non VW related) without prices mentioning that I was simply thinking about selling a certain desirable item and within an hour had it sold for more than I would have ever thought someone would pay... Granted, I think the VW culture seems more geared towards being as cheap as possible, it does work in at least some arenas.

Thanks for the feedback.

I can totally see it working with hard to find stuff.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeler ads... Reply with quote

Perfect input! Exactly what I'm looking for...

As much as I usually side-step past the Feelers & the YTM ads like the plague, Sometimes just trying to find what a market will bear sort of leaves you no other real option

There was a time when eBay was a really good tool for gauging interest & value and was pretty damn accurate. But they're so screwed up these days it's nearly useless.

The reason I started this discussion.... Recently we were offered a very special piece and time is absolutely of the essence. As a family we've already discussed about which vehicle to move so we're not sitting on any fences. The problem, is trying to find out a solid fair value in short order. And the clock is ticking...

Tried getting a professional appraisal and all he saw was an old dune buggy type car (his words, not mine), $1,500.00, thank you, that's $100 please, have a nice day... Hell there's more invested in just the tires & suspension! ..and don't even mention CL, I sell guitars there from time to time, I can't even imagine the whack-jobs at the front door...

So what other avenues are there to gauge reasonable & solid fair market value?

Last edited by 0nebadbug on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeler & YTM ads... Reply with quote

Sell it for what you think it's worth. You will know right away if you have it listed too cheap, or even high.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Feeler & YTM ads... Reply with quote

It's not your 61 you area talking about is it?
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: