Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

portable ac unit
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
WhirledTraveller wrote:
No 480 running watts is about right for a 5000 BTU air conditioner. Expect the startup load to be significantly more.

Consider that you can buy a 15,000 BTU window unit that runs off a regular outlet.

480 Watts is 40 amps so I doubt that a stock charging system or battery is going to sustain the load for long.

I think we are getting the two units mixed up. The thread started with a link to the "zero breeze" which is a "portable" AC unit that runs off DC with an optional battery pack, has a maximum 1100 BTU, and draws 120-150 watts.

I responded with a link to a different unit, the "Noria" which is a compact 5000 BTU unit intended for residential use and draws 480 watts off of 110V outlet, a little more than 4 amps. This is normal for a high efficiency modern AC unit. Obviously if you ran if from in inverter then you would be pulling more than 40 amps at 12 volts DC.

My point was that whether you are running a small unit at a lower power draw, or a larger unit at a larger power draw, the amount of cooling you are going to get from a certain amount of battery capacity is basically the same. You can't run either all night or all day and if the larger unit cycles on and off with a thermostat it will emulate the performance of a smaller unit running full tilt. You basically need generator or shore power to make air conditioning realistically feasible, in which case why not go for the unit that cools rapidly and mounts discretely and has a reasonable chance of actually making it to market.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
WhirledTraveller wrote:
Expect the startup load to be significantly more.

I'm not sure about that. The whole draw (pardon the pun) to rotary compressor for fridges/AC units is how they start with a small stroke and gradually increase the stroke until peak efficiency is achieved. This alleviates much of the start-up draw that typical compressors face. Engle/ARB fridges work this way too.

Robbie

I was mentioning startup load for the Noria, which is a traditional AC unit designed for residential use and AFAIK uses a "standard" compressor with the associated startup loads. You can buy expensive air conditioners with low startup load, typically mini-splits, they use inverter technology to provide the "soft start" to a variable frequency 3 phase permanent magnet motor vs just attaching an standard alternating current motor to a compressor. Fun fact of the day is that they achieve high efficiency despite converting the household AC current to high voltage DC, then inverting back to 3 phase AC.

As for rotary compressors... there are many different designs. "Rotary" is just a generic term for how it achieves compression. Some are fancier than others and a basic rotary compressor is still fixed displacement and doesn't "ramp up". There exist variable displacement rotary compressors which is what you are referring to. There are also variable displacement piston compressors which are what you commonly find on modern automobiles. They achieve variable displacement by using a swash plate to alter the piston stroke.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

If you are looking for AC (not 'breezes', and 'cool air' )which will work off either solar or batteries - you won't find it. Period.

It's simple thermodynamics.
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

I was thinking about one of these I hear they work well:

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/arctic-air-portab...hgodzkoKTQ
frankenwabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

I've made one of those when I took my bus from CA to TX during the summer. 45 minutes...tops. That's how long one of those lasted (the ones where you loaded ice into a cooler and had a fan blow).

I even had a setup with a water pump to a heat exchanger loaded with ice and water.....45 minutes...done...after that didn't really do squat.
PopTopDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

I would buy the zero breeze if it worked and wasn't a fortune...
VW.parrothead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

frankenwabbit wrote:
I've made one of those when I took my bus from CA to TX during the summer. 45 minutes...tops. That's how long one of those lasted (the ones where you loaded ice into a cooler and had a fan blow).

I even had a setup with a water pump to a heat exchanger loaded with ice and water.....45 minutes...done...after that didn't really do squat.

Like this?
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/beat-the-heat-with-this-20-diy-air-conditioner.html
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

I suspect this does not have enough capacity to cool anything during the day, with the sun beating down on your van. At night, it can probably make your camping experience a bit more pleasant.
kenfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

Looks like these have been available for a while.
The zero breeze that is.
Anybody have any experience with one?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: portable ac unit Reply with quote

120 - 150 watts is about 10 to 12 amps at 12V DC. Your battery won't last long at that rate. You'd be better off putting a trailer hitch on the bus, and a utility rack to mount a generator you can run going down the highway, and move away from the vehicle at night so you don't die of CO poisoning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: