Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Early Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Hey Zack. On your spline question on split and bay torsions. They are the same spline counts. I'm running stock torsions to my '58 and '69 bay spring plates. for the IRS adapted in there.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

^^^ That is good to know. I had suspected it, but never took the opportunity to confirm.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Thanks Ben. I can't wait until it warms up a little so I can knock this out and avoid hypothermia Very Happy
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

As long as it's not raining, I prefer working in the cold. I heat up fast when it's hot, then I get burnt out to fast and quit early. But cold, I can work all day. Cool
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Define "cold".....such a relative term Laughing

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

VWDog wrote:
Define "cold".....such a relative term Laughing

Yep. It was 1 here last night. ONE. I've seen much colder, but one is still one.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Highs in the 30's. Supposed to warm up to the 40's this week but it's also supposed to rain. I've been in a lot colder weather but it's too cold for me to be outside unless I'm being active. I might be able to sneak it under the garage door if I bolt on some 14's without rubber...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
I might be able to sneak it under the garage door if I bolt on some 14's without rubber...

This sounds like the best idea for now.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Finally got my spare 15" wheel back from powdercoat. Took a lot longer because of the holidays I guess. Now I've got a wheel, sandpaper, white paint, a brand new spare tire.... and zero motivation because it's 32° outside (and in my garage).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
and zero motivation because it's 32° outside (and in my garage).

I feel your pain. Single digits around here lately. Getting warmer soon, though.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Yesterday I finally did what I should have done months ago, and moved this beast into my shop. I tried rolling it in on bare 14" steels, but it wasn't low enough Laughing So I loaded all 5 of the heavy wheels & tires into the back to lower it more, not quite enough Laughing I finally removed the rear fiberglass roof rack and it just barely slides in under the door. Dancing

I've got the right rear completely torn apart to reset the torsion bar, and I've ordered new rubber spring plate bushings. I'm going to re-route and replace the brake hard line and replace the half assed lift plate hardware. A good friend of mine works for Go Westy and is hooking me up with a pair of Vanagon short side automatic trans axles that measure 20.5" (522mm) that will be arriving today.

Now my question, shocks. In the bus now are a pair of Bilstein's that look like they have gone through hell and back from being over extended. I have a brand new pair of KYB Gas-A-Justs (KG5530) that I would like to run but of course they are too short to use with the 2.5" lift plates I have. They have an extended length of 22.2", but I will need at least 25" (measured at full droop).

So I'm looking for some 3" shock extensions. I've been searching around online but haven't found anything yet. Any ideas?
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Do you have a welder Zack? I can't think of a solution that doesn't require some welding.

Some sort of pipe that can slip over the lower body of the shock. You can make it 8" long, drill a shock mount hole and the lower trailing arm mount at 3" center. Then you would need longer bolts to go through the extender. That might give you enough support on the shock body where it won't distort or bend the shock, and still have the travel length before the top cover would hit at full compression. I don't know. just winging an idea out there.

GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

No welder yet Ben. If I did they would already be installed Smile Something like this is what I'm looking for.

plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

There you go. Get some square tube the proper thickness and size. Drill the hole 90 degrees out on each end at the 3" center. You could notch the top and just leave the bottom as is. Everything could be done with a hack saw and drill.
Funny, I couldn't see this simple solution. I actually need to do this with my bus. I'm using stock length shocks and am right at the end of travel with the suspension fully extended. Not a problem with normal driving and suspension squat. But could slam on the shocks off road driving through articulations.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Rear shocks from a Chrysler town & country are about that much longer & share the same bolt diameter & shank length, I got a pair of Bilsteins (B46-1522) to run on the back of my Beetle.

I'm a little late to the game on the axles but the offroaders eliminate the circlips to allow the axle to float in the CVs.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Rear shocks from a Chrysler town & country are about that much longer & share the same bolt diameter & shank length, I got a pair of Bilsteins (B46-1522) to run on the back of my Beetle.

I'm a little late to the game on the axles but the offroaders eliminate the circlips to allow the axle to float in the CVs.

I'm not sure what application the Bilstein's I've got are for, but they measure 24" extended and they are totally hammered. I can only presume it is because they were too short. I'd prefer to use these new KYB's I've got unless extensions are going to cost more than new shocks.

Knowing he needed longer axles, the PO swapped Vanagon auto axles in place of the 18 3/4" stockers. He did not know that they were different lengths (21 1/4" & 19 7/8") Rolling Eyes The longer axle appeared to be working fine but the shorter one had pulled its circlips out. Since I'm lowering the rear about 1 1/2" I was concerned that the 21 1/4" axle would now be too long. So I'm taking an educated guess at 20 1/2". I'm confident they will work, with circlips in place.
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Any updates on this bus? This is such a great build!! I for one thing the weathered green paint needs to stay Very Happy Very Happy
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Early Westy Reply with quote

Can’t believe I missed your thread here. Still need to see this beast in person...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: