Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

I finally watched the video and yes, you open the flap on the AFM by moving the wiper arm and it actually loses rpm, which is very strange, because opening the flap should let more air in (of course, as we all know), so this is definitely wrong. But really you should try pushing the flap with a stick to see if the wiper arm moves and the same thing happens. If it does, and the flap isn't stuck, it seems to me like an electrical problem, possibly with the wiper arm or its connections. Or possibly it is set so rich (idle mixture screw) that more air simply floods it?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Moving the flap has no effect on the amount of air entering the manifold, that's done by the throttle butterfly. The flap is a meter and moving it more than the existing airflow already has fools it into richening the mixture. Alternately vacuum leaks cause a lean mixture because more air is getting into the manifold than the flap has metered.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7761
garyt, read this, again if you have to.

But if you have the same symptoms with 2 AFMs, it's likely not your problem. Good hunting!

Last edited by foxmon on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Yes busdaddy that's true, but the throttle butterfly only lets in the air (if no vacuum leaks) that the AFM flap lets in and which comes before it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

garyt wrote:
Yes busdaddy that's true, but the throttle butterfly only lets in the air (if no vacuum leaks) that the AFM flap lets in and which comes before it.

You're not really arguing with Busdaddy, are you? Laughing
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

+1 on Amskeptic's page on the AFM. It helped me immensely this year getting things dialed in. Graph your mixture to start like he suggests so you have an idea what adjustments you're going to make.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

I suppose its correct though, if the throttle isn't opened the air flow flap wont have much effect, but here it is decreasing rpm which seems strange to me. And I assume it is also also true if he revs it and the throttle opens.

If that garage really did everything they said, then it isn't the fuel injection, but something in the engine wrong, because you got spark, compression and fuel.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

LOL aero, oooo, no not really, kind of thinking out loud. He is right (as usual!).
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

foxmon, I read it ages ago, mine is now working perfectly after a lot of work and reading, and help from busdaddy. Very Happy
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

"Alternately vacuum leaks cause a lean mixture because more air is getting into the manifold than the flap has metered."

Yes, but this does not get into the manifold as you have said,

"Moving the flap has no effect on the amount of air entering the manifold"

You mean entering the AFM not the manifold.

So it will richen or lean the mixture. Yep that is right, I was wrong. But because its not entering into the manifold, does it tell us anything?

Is it rich or lean? Pusing the flap and it slows could mean it is rich or lean, no? Or that the wiper arm is not working properly?
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Just my two cents as they say

but... I suppose that IF it is a problem with the AFM (too rich or too lean) then I think you may be better to correct the idle mixture by the idle mixture screw while it is idling (that's what it is for after all).

- I think pushing the flap/wiper arm may not be very helpful because idle is where the fuel pump is switched on in a different way, because the wiper arm might be at rest and sending a different signal to the ECU than when it is moved off its base?

At idle, does the flap normally open a bit? Not necessarily because there is still a small opening which the Idle Mixture Screw deals with. But is the throttle butterfly (and so the entrance to the manifold) closed? No. Because the butterfly has to be open a bit to let some air in for combustion, and this is via the Air Bypass Screw, if not the car/bus wouldn't start at all.

So at all times there should be some air that can get through to the manifold and engine, via the Idle Mixture Screw and the Air Bypass Screw.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

And, in fact, also the Auxiliary Air Valve, should be mostly open at start up.

But I'm talking about a 79 beetle FI maybe this bus FI is different, so in this case sorry if I confuse. I believe they are similar enough.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

No they both are essentially the same system. In fact a lot of the parts are interchangeable. L-tronic is actually fairly simple compared to the newer FI systems. It does not have the ability to determine the "mass" of incoming air though and thuse there is no "mass air sensor". Strictly temperature.

It does not tolerate poor electrical connections or vacuum leaks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

garyt wrote:

The AFM is completely passive, it can only be moved by airflow allowed into the engine by the throttle, there are no cables/linkages or mechanical connections to it of any kind. It's movement tells the ECU how much air is entering the engine and the ECU decides how much fuel to add.
Quote:
but here it is decreasing rpm which seems strange to me.

Moving the flap changes the mixture, richening the mixture will slow the idle if it's too rich.
Quote:
"Alternately vacuum leaks cause a lean mixture because more air is getting into the manifold than the flap has metered."

Yes, but this does not get into the manifold as you have said,

And that's why cars with vacuum leaks run badly.
Quote:
"Moving the flap has no effect on the amount of air entering the manifold"

You mean entering the AFM not the manifold.

See the top answer, I guess if you force it shut at high speeds it may restrict the flow, but that's not what it's meant to do, moving the flap adds or lessens the amount of fuel, that's all it does.
Quote:
Is it rich or lean? Pusing the flap and it slows could mean it is rich or lean, no? Or that the wiper arm is not working properly?

Pushing it further open richens the mixture, it's effect on performance can only be measured correctly with an exhaust analizer.
Quote:
At idle, does the flap normally open a bit? Not necessarily because there is still a small opening which the Idle Mixture Screw deals with. But is the throttle butterfly (and so the entrance to the manifold) closed? No. Because the butterfly has to be open a bit to let some air in for combustion, and this is via the Air Bypass Screw, if not the car/bus wouldn't start at all.

Yes, the air passing through the bypass slot in the butterfly provides idle air, this opens the AFM flap a small amount to close the fuel pump contacts and control mixture, the screw on the AFM controls another bypass which effects the air pressure against the flap, moving the screw moves the flap a tiny amount.
Quote:
And, in fact, also the Auxiliary Air Valve, should be mostly open at start up.

It should, and the AFM measures that air as well since it's drawn from the S boot upstream of the throttle body.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Yep, that seems right busdaddy. Phew!

So I reckon the OP should make sure: the Idle Mixture Screw is about mid way, the Air Bypass Screw is about 4-6 turns out, that the AFM flap is free to move and not too tight or weak, and the wiper arm is contacting properly. Plus the ohms tests check out.

Like Hoody said I don't trust the renovated AFMs so this seems to me necessary whether you got two or not (how do they know one is a 'known good one"? Has the PO actually seen it working?)

I guess after all that at least you can rule out the AFM. LOL

BUT!! Maybe check out other mechanical stuff first, and read up on the L Jet and the potentiometer. Most electrical FI problems would affect all the cylinders not just 3, I think...

I suppose there's no fuel in the oil?
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

"It should, and the AFM measures that air as well since it's drawn from the S boot upstream of the throttle body."

I think you may be mistaken here: Yes upstream of the throttle body, but the S boot is after the AFM so it can't measure this air. At least on my car, the hose from the AAV goes in under the S boot.

I also don't have a temp sensor in my AFM (Cali), but maybe this bus has.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Has the OP found all his vacuum leaks because trying to adjust a vacuum leak away is piling poorly fired bricks on a weak foundation.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

garyt wrote:
but the S boot is after the AFM so it can't measure this air

Wrong, if air is in the S boot it's been measured, consider the AFM a doorman counting everyone who enters. The AFM doesn't care where the air is going once it's been measured, throttle body, AAR, it doesn't matter. If the volume of air rises due to the AAR opening the AFM tells the computer there's more air going into the engine and the computer richens the mixture.

Слава Україні!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

If this engine has spark & fuel & compression at cranking speed, I would
now check/swap out the #3 intake valve spring, I think it's spent and only
floating when at operating speeds. Maybe even broken. : (
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
If this engine has spark & fuel & compression at cranking speed, I would
now check/swap out the #3 intake valve spring, I think it's spent and only
floating when at operating speeds. Maybe even broken. : (

With that in mind, the hydro lifters require more robust springs. Perhaps having the spring load measured might show up a spring for a carburated engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: