Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
the #3 not pulling it's weight can be a result of the #4 intake stuffing the intake tract full of compression and blowing raw fuel into the intake. think of carburetor reversion, except in a "sealed" system. I have seen this where 1 misfire will set off random multiple misfires on more modern cars when the problem is in only 1 cylinder

As best as I understood, this was Colin's explanation as well. Maybe he'll chime in to clarify.
Modern Vanagon Westy Interior
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Reasonable explanation. I would have thought that if #4 was that bad, its power output would be worse than #3. Waiting for the post-rebuild results.

While it's apart, do a full test of all five injectors to make sure they spray a nice narrow fan and don't drip.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
the #3 not pulling it's weight can be a result of the #4 intake stuffing the intake tract full of compression and blowing raw fuel into the intake. think of carburetor reversion, except in a "sealed" system. I have seen this where 1 misfire will set off random multiple misfires on more modern cars when the problem is in only 1 cylinder

Bingo! The AFM was having a difficult time figuring out what signal to send as well. Not just raw fuel into the intake, actual combustion leaking into the intake.

Ryan deserves a rest from this painful saga.
Colin
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Reasonable explanation. I would have thought that if #4 was that bad, its power output would be worse than #3. Waiting for the post-rebuild results.

While it's apart, do a full test of all five injectors to make sure they spray a nice narrow fan and don't drip.

Strangely enough, #4 had a decent 120 psi compression and three had 140 psi.

Seriously, I would have expected to trip across a burnt valve a whole lot sooner than this and I sure as heck would have assumed that it was #3 with the bad valve. But we can only surmise at this point that #4 intake which precedes #3 was sabotaging the charge.

Don't think there wasn't head scratching when we saw a nice spark, well timed, good compression, and verified fuel delivery coming to #3 yet it played dead.
Colin
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

Strangely enough, #4 had a decent 120 psi compression and three had 140 psi.

Seriously, I would have expected to trip across a burnt valve a whole lot sooner than this and I sure as heck would have assumed that it was #3 with the bad valve. But we can only surmise at this point that #4 intake which precedes #3 was sabotaging the charge.

Don't think there wasn't head scratching when we saw a nice spark, well timed, good compression, and verified fuel delivery coming to #3 yet it played dead.
Colin

You are looking at the right concept but possibly the wrong cylinders causing effect. Any of the 4 could cause what you just noted.

The firing order is 1,4, 3 2.

Looking/thinking about it in slow motion.... In a central plenum system with this firing order.....you end up with a diagonal pressure push/pull across the center of the plenum.
Intake valve one shuts first in the face of a high velocity column of air.
But unlike a carb system it does not cause reversion up to the TB. It causes reversion into the plenum.

This reversion is not normally a cause for concern....because across across the plenum you have #4 intake valve in motion absorbing some of the back pressure pulse into its runner. This is part of why a plenum and runner system.
You do have some asymmetry in the system as the next valve to absorb the reversion column is #3 on the same side....but as long as there is a valve open to absorb the reversion push....its not an issue. Its also part of the reason for the asymmetrical shape of the factory plenum.

Very well designed...and actually quite a bit better than the more symmetrical shape of the Porsche 914 2.0L plenum.

My point...is that if one of the cylinders on the 1, 2 bank is weak in compression or poor in lift due to a bad lifter etc....it can cause the issue you and skills are describing just as easily.

One thing to remember.....if the reversion is getting far enough up the "food chain" to affect the AFM....its making it through the TB and that is no small feat as the turbulence plume created by the TB is roughly 3/4 length of the plenum...gets bounced off the curved wall inside the plenum and re-centered into the "air knot" or crossing in the center of the plenum.

At one time...around 1997-99...I had taken pictures of this turbulence pattern during a smoke test inside of a plenum with a strobe taken through the CSV port at about 2500 rpm. They are somewhere in my collection of 35mm black and white. Some day I will dig them out.

But the point being that yes....if one cylinder/individual runner is causing a reversion charge in excess of normal...it can screw up that knot of turbulence inside of the plenum and starve the next cylinder in line.

In the type 4 L-jet bus plenums...its HARD to create reversion that exits the TB unless you have cylinder pressure behind it (cracked/burned valve, burned seat, bent valve that is not seating all the way etc.)

But what can happen even quicker than that....is loss of positive/smooth vacuum control at the fuel pressure regulator. Just some things to think about. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Don't know if this is a California model with an O2 sensor, but if so and you have one cylinder that isn't drawing the correct amount of air for whatever reason the O2 sensor and ECU will attempt to get the mixture right and may throw the mixture off for all the cylinders as a result.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

I hope your not taking it back to the same engine builder who fucked up the build to begin with. Some times you have to cut your losses. I don't know what your budget is but the first thing you should do if you can afford it is buy a set of Ham "Stock" heads. You need a "Guru" engine builder. I know of 2 in Ohio. Both are very busy. But if they build your engine it will be a lifetime before you need a rebuild. There are waaaay too many hacks out there. I read stories every day on here about rebuilds and none of them have happy endings. Parts are getting harder and harder to find. But you can still locate them if you know where to look and are not afraid to spend the money on original German parts. PM me and I can put you in touch with my friends.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

In the type 4 L-jet bus plenums...its HARD to create reversion that exits the TB unless you have cylinder pressure behind it (cracked/burned valve, burned seat, bent valve that is not seating all the way etc.)
Ray

This summer I have seen three AFM flaps dance crazily during cranking and two of those three had wipers that matched my vacuum gauge needle movement.

AFMs are beautifully engineered with that little "other flap" section across the pivot from the main flap that cancels out usual manifold pressure effects on the movement of the wiper, so I think we were observing actual air flow disruption.
Colin
RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Just a quick update!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The followers of this thread will recall that a lot of the problems with this Bus were result of half-assed-ness from a "reputable" aircooled shop. After Colin's visit, we knew the motor was fried as result of the work performed by this shop.

The engine builder and the shop are two different entities, we no longer trust the shop, but we trust the engine builder. After talking to him about what had happened, he stood behind his work and promised to make it right no matter the cost. He has since broken partnership with the shop. The problem was pulling the engine and getting it to the builder.

One of the mechanics who worked for the shop(and worked extensively on my Bus during his time there) decided to part ways with the business a few years ago and open up his own aircooled shop. He left the business because he saw the poor quality of work that was going on there and disagreed with the owners desire to cut corners. He has done a lot of great work for me on my '68 Beetle and I trust him fully. The quality of work coming from his shop is top notch, and they stand behind everything they do.

He moved into a new building in October and the Westy is their first resident. They pulled the engine within the first week and disassembled down to the block to send back to the builder for a fresh set of heads and some other bits and bobs. The season is over here, but the engine should be back in and running before Christmas. I'll be back to post an update then.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

I hope it goes well for you! Good luck!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

How’s the engine coming along?
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Ryan,
I am new to VW ownership. I just read this thread front to back, and wow, you have been through the ringer with this motor. I too would like to know what is the latest with your 79. I too have FI, and this has been an education for me for sure.
Would love to know where everything stands with your bus.

Peace,
JG
CA bus 2.0 FI

"It is what it is or else it would be weird."
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Van Gooo wrote:
Ryan,
I am new to VW ownership. I just read this thread front to back, and wow, you have been through the ringer with this motor. I too would like to know what is the latest with your 79. I too have FI, and this has been an education for me for sure.

Peace,
JG

welcome Van Gooo. 9 ft lbs only on the oil strainer nut to prevent a very costly repair. someone will post the welcome to a first time poster here.

edit :

here

wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will break the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Thank you SGKent. That is critical to know about the torque on the oil strainer nut.
Thank you Tcash. This site is flat out amazing.

Will post photos of Vangooo soon!
CA bus 2.0 FI

RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

Van Gooo wrote:
Ryan,

Peace,
JG

Hey there!

The engine got a new seat of heads as after teardown a bent valve was found. I had a IAC appointment last month, and Colin and I got the Bus running in tip top shape!

I see you're in Indy, join us next month here: http://1kathrynbowman.wixsite.com/bnnta/location

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

awesome ending to the story. Bent valve implies a weak valve spring or sticking valve caused all this.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
awesome ending to the story. Bent valve implies a weak valve spring or sticking valve caused all this.

500 miles in three years would likely mean old rotten fuel in the tank, which could translate into the valve(s) sticking in the guides. I have become a real strong believer in dumping something like a quart of 2 cycle oil or a quart of synthetic motor oil into a full tank of gas to help lube an engine that has been sitting for a long while and is put back in service. Tight guides on a rebuilt head do not help this problem a bit.
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

That is great Ryan!!

I am planning on being there Labor Day weekend!
Looking forward to me you and other air cooled buds!!

Take care!
CA bus 2.0 FI

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

That’s great news! Glad to hear you have a mechanic and an engine builder that stands behind his work!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: '79 Fuel Injection Poor Performance Over 60mph Reply with quote

[/quote]
Looks like you have an Old Town Canoe
Those are made in the town beside mine in Maine. They are the best!
Here's a photo of our Westy with Old Town Kayak on the way to Buses by the Buoy in Union Maine, last year.

I have been following your thread to help with my own fuel injection issues. I am glad you got your bus going. Have fun!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: