Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

Hey peeps,

I am pulling my headliner out of the office and going for it, finally. I have a couple questions as Ive never done this and may be doing it solo. It's a 65, Deluxe. I got my headliner from TMI a couple of summers ago.

I have these bows:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D211%2D549C

They are all the same length and straight. Do any of them need to be cut, and or bent?

Do the bows slide into the headliner before starting?

Which side is best to start from, front or back?

Tools I have for this:
Heat gun, clips, spray adhesive, typical hand tools.

I'd have a hard time paying a shop, I know it wouldn't be cheap at an hourly rate Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

You have to start from the front. They are like a spring and should bend up slightly for the shape you see in photos of a "dome".

The 4 long originals I have from my 63 are the same length. Then the two short front ones near the air box. I think the Bentley manual has a section on this?
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

Nice. I'll dig out the manual and check. I don't remember it having the length of the bows. That'll be key, getting the length

I do remember years ago my rusty old ones had a slight arch to them, makes sense. I think the end of the bows that go into the fabric need some kind of tip also so it doesnt have metal poking right into the cloth.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

The long ones are 56 and 5/8ths while the short ones are 22.5 inches. I don't think the rubber on the ends protects the headliner. I assume it is for noise since the sit on the rain gutter.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
The long ones are 56 and 5/8ths while the short ones are 22.5 inches. I don't think the rubber on the ends protects the headliner. I assume it is for noise since the sit on the rain gutter.

Awesome! This is a good start. I'm just taking my sweet time with this. Are those the measurements for straight new bows before they have bends in them?
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
55samba wrote:

Awesome! This is a good start. I'm just taking my sweet time with this. Are those the measurements for straight new bows before they have bends in them?

These are 100% originals but I measures with the bend so this would apply to straight pieces. This is total length.

Also, don't use spray can glue. Get a cheep harbor freight paint gun and this glue. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAP-Weldwood-Contact-Cemen...2749.l2649
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
electronictofu wrote:
55samba wrote:

These are 100% originals but I measures with the bend so this would apply to straight pieces. This is total length.

Also, don't use spray can glue. Get a cheep harbor freight paint gun and this glue. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAP-Weldwood-Contact-Cemen...2749.l2649

That's exactly what I used actually, it's good stuff, pretty gosh dang smelly, I used a resp for sure. I used that for the fabric that went around the windows. Its not used for the actual headliner/ ceiling area is it? Just the bows hold up the main upper section? Maybe some around the lip/ edges?
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
55samba wrote:
electronictofu wrote:
55samba wrote:

That's exactly what I used actually, it's good stuff, pretty gosh dang smelly, I used a resp for sure. I used that for the fabric that went around the windows. Its not used for the actual headliner/ ceiling area is it? Just the bows hold up the main upper section? Maybe some around the lip/ edges?

Yes glue around the lips and edges. You glue the entire window areas though on the sides of the bus. Easiest thing is to look at headliner photos.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
You have to start from the front. They are like a spring and should bend up slightly for the shape you see in photos of a "dome".

The 4 long originals I have from my 63 are the same length. Then the two short front ones near the air box. I think the Bentley manual has a section on this?

Yes start from the front
FWIW, the headliner dome is not an arc of a circle.
It is flatter on the top.

correct:

The bow just forward of the dome light slipped:

correct shape in custom fabric:
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing 65' Headliner Questions/ Bows Reply with quote

Awesome photos! The only thing tripping me out is the bows, I cut the shorter ones to 22.5 and they seem pretty long still, even with some muscle and a bend. Does the bow poke all the way thru the headliner? Then the hard plastic edge of the headliner goes into that roof rail and bulk head area (All the little individual metal areas that pry out).

I see how they go in because my old headliner pieces are still there, but as I said that area with the bows confuse me a bit.

This is the first long bow cut at 56 - 5/8 it poked its way all the way thru without any effort. Can sew this back up or put a little cap on the end of the bow, unless they are supposed to go through?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: