Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More on gas heater
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: More on gas heater Reply with quote

I've got all the links everyone has sent and read them. Took heater out today and looking everything over. I can't see what the spark plug gap is and Apparently the plug is also a glow plug. Looks like a coil of wire inside. I suppose the glow plug needs to glow for heater to start.

My temperature regulator switch doesn't look anything like the ones I've saw pictures of here. Is there 2 types?

It looks like the thermoswitch is the only one that actually goes down inside the heater. I'm gona take it out and clean it as instructions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: More on gas heater Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
I've got all the links everyone has sent and read them. Took heater out today and looking everything over. I can't see what the spark plug gap is and Apparently the plug is also a glow plug. Looks like a coil of wire inside. I suppose the glow plug needs to glow for heater to start.

My temperature regulator switch doesn't look anything like the ones I've saw pictures of here. Is there 2 types?

It looks like the thermoswitch is the only one that actually goes down inside the heater. I'm gona take it out and clean it as instructions.

Started working on heater again today. The temperature switch, the one with the probe that goes down inside heater, I can only get it to come up about 3". I afraid I'm gona brake it if I keep messing with it. I had read somewhere to take it out and buff it real good to get all the scale and crud off it. How important to get it out? Everything else on the heater I have removed all connectors and cleaned them up. Should I leave that one alone rather than taking a chance in breaking it?

Got it out didn't break it>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: More on gas heater Reply with quote

I went back and read some of your other posts, your issue sounds similar to one I had with the heater. I found the thermostat, which I think you are referring to as the temperature switch, was frozen causing the fuse to blow.
It sounds like you have it out now. You need to test it by heating up the spirals that go into the heater and ensure they are moving the contacts inside. It may be stuck and see this thread for disassembly and repair: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577076&start=0

Also the BN4 sticky contains that info and much more:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577076&start=0

That should be most of what is needed to get it working.
Good luck and don't blow it up.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: More on gas heater Reply with quote

No, the part I was having hard time getting out is the only part that actually goes down into the heater. What I call thermostat doesn't go into the heater but into the plastic air duct just outside the actual heater. It sticks down in the hot air coming out of the heater. This brings another question. In reading how to adjust it shows how it looks in the first photo. Mine looks like and is the one in second photo. They don't look anything alike but I am pretty sure the serve the same purpose as they go the same place and have a push pull cable going from the dash in order to regulate heat.

PHOTO OF THERMOSTAT I GOT OFF LINE
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PHOTO OF MY THERMOSTAT
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: More on gas heater Reply with quote

I have got the heater dissembled and resembled and everything checks out good. The pump clicks and everything I have read is if it clicks it is good. With the pump on the bench and I click it with hot wire it will put a little squirt out every time. All I can check it with is the fuel hose filled with fuel, not much. I connect it back up the car and wire in in to heater it and prime it by filling discharge hose with fuel. I turn heater on and it clicks good and puts out a little fuel probably about 1/4 tsp and no more fuel but still clicks. The fuel it puts out is probably what I primed it with. I remove inlet fuel line from pump and plenty of flow there. Again, as I said everything I read is if it clicks it is good. I think my pump may be toast. Is there a pump I could buy from FLAPS that will work? Or any other test for fuel pump. I know they run as long as current is applied but with this current is applied only once every 33 rpm, so it wouldn't be running all time. Is there any other test for fuel pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: