Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stereo Wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

1985 Vanagon 1.9L (upgraded to 2.5 subi)

I've searched this topic and see it gets beaten to death 10 times over. I still feel the need to post this. I bought my van with no radio, just a stock looking plastic cover for the hole. I pulled all the wiring out and found this mess. First thing I noticed is I don't have the two plugs other vans have, one brown and one black.

These plugs:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a plug for the cigarette lighter that I cut off and wired female spade connectors to.

I also have this weird plug that I can't seem to find a picture of in any other stereo wiring plug on this forum.

That plug has a red wire just shoved into the other side of it. Don't know why it is there.

I pulled that red wire out. That wire runs down to this plug with several other wires. The red wire has an inline fuse.

There's also this wire coming from the speaker on the passenger door, running behind the glove box. Not sure why it's cut.

I can figure out which colored wires are supposed to do what based on this quote from vanagonauts.

Quote:

Hi

I just replaced the radio in my 1983 vanagon (full camper, watercooled 1.9L). As you probably know, the wiring diagram in the Bentley manual isn't so good for the radio. After doing a bit of searching on-line I came across your posting below and several others about radio wiring for 86-91 vanagons .... but nothing for pre-86.
http://www.vanagonauts.com/86---91-stereo-wiring214.htm

After some wire tracing and installation of my stereo, I thought I would pass along the wire colors for the radio as it might help out others

Red - Power (fuse 9)
Brown - Ground
Blue/Grey - Illumination. There are two wires, the wires are pigtailed at the radio (wire comes from behind the driver console, connects to the radio, then goes onto the illumination light for the 12v accessory/cigarette lighter)

Red/Brown - Right front speaker (+)
Brown - Right front speaker (-)
Red/Brown - Left front speaker (+)
Brown - Left front speaker (-)
Note: the wires for the left and right front speakers are bonded together similar to home stereo wiring

Blue - Left rear speaker (+)
Red - Right rear speaker (+)
Grey - Left and Right rear speaker (-)
Note: the rear speaker harness contains only 3 wires - shared left and right rear speaker (-)

Ted

What I can't figure out is what those two plugs are, and why my wires are routed the way they are. Pretty much, I have no clue what's going behind my dash and need some help making heads or tails of this.

Thanks guys,
Jacob
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

The connector at the end of the red wire is the end of the harness of an old (80s), relatively cheap aftermarket radio.

The white plug you have there looks like an older factory one. The only connections you really need to concern yourself with are:

Red - constant power
Brown - ground

The gray/blue wire is dimmed illumination (from the headlight switch) and isn't needed unless your new radio has an illumination connection. Even then, it's not required.

Pretty much all modern radios have a constant power connection, accessory/ignition switched power and ground and assume that you'll be wiring them so they go off when the key is turned off. Vanagon switches don't have an accessory position, so switched power means that you have to have the ignition switch on all the time to run the radio. You can just connect both the switched and constant radio power connections to that red wire but most radios will end up drawing a few hundred milliamps all the time, which will kill your battery over the course of a bunch of days. In order to deal with this, you can either (a) unlatch your radio's removable face whenever you're not using it or (b) wire up a switch somewhere, which you can use to toggle power to the radio's switched power lead.

As far as the speakers go, don't trust that the car matches the diagram. Incorrect polarity, while harmless, will cause your speakers to be out of phase, meaning the cones don't all move in the same direction with each pulse of bass. What this means is that your already wimpy little speakers will have EVEN LESS bass, due to phase cancellation.

On the speakers, the positive terminal is usually larger, and/or has a "+" stamped somewhere or a red dot.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

I downloaded these for reference. I don't recall what year Westy refers to but likely 86-91.

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-CD-Radio-Audio....47.utTldt

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-CD-Radio-Audio....47.utTldt

Aloha
tp

Does that splice into my harness to replace the stock one that is usually there already?
And then you could plug those into the pigtail gowesty sells for aftermarket stereo installation?
ungroov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

sciroccojim: many thanks for the key to the problem! the simple solution! ...

i wire my stereo deck so that i can turn it on and listen to tunes without the key in the ignition. its crucial for camping. (just join the red and yellow wires from the back of the stereo deck, and connect them both to aux battery 12V positive terminal for power.)

but, my new stereo deck was slowly draining my battery over several days of non-use and i was looking into a wiring setup to disallow said drain. and you provided it: simply click the button on the stereo deck removable faceplate to unlatch the faceplate. the faceplate still sits in place but unlatched (slightly loose), and the battery stays constant at 13.2V after several days in the garage. many thanks mane!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Wiring Reply with quote

You're welcome. Enjoy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: