Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust support welding?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust support welding? Reply with quote

I have lots of good used supports. PM me if you would like to buy one.

Thanks, Mike
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust support welding? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
If it is the support itself that broke... I have made replacements for missing supports from electrical conduit flattened at each end and painted black.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have lasted for years and would require close scrutiny to tell they are not original.

Very cool. I like this fix. Yes mine is an upper one however.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust support welding? Reply with quote

If it is the support itself that broke... I have made replacements for missing supports from electrical conduit flattened at each end and painted black.

Have lasted for years and would require close scrutiny to tell they are not original.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust support welding? Reply with quote

Stephenmarklay wrote:
Thank you Wildthings. Can you give me any more info? That sounds like a good thing!

Basically you are only wanting to attach the support arms at their ends so there are no bending moments on them. If one arm attaches to another somewhere besides at its end then that will cause the arm to flex and potentially break. My system never lent itself well to taking pictures, but I will look and see what other pictures I can find.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust support welding? Reply with quote

Thank you Wildthings. Can you give me any more info? That sounds like a good thing!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust support welding? Reply with quote

I altered the arms on my 83 1/2 so that the arms were either in tension or compression with no or very minor bending moments. Never had a problem with the arms breaking again.

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust support welding? Reply with quote

If they have a welder--why not?

Ask them first.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Exhaust support welding? Reply with quote

Draining my coolant I noticed that one for he exhaust supports snapped up at the flange bolted at the block. Can a muffler shop weld likely weld that back?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: