Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Here's one i just completed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Gorgeous Glenn! Shocked
Better than new! Cool Very Happy
Any idea why your vacuum can looks different, with a dimple in the middle, even though the arm has the same number 581?

Pleased to say one of my distributors has found a good home. Shipping to the states tomorrow.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

No idea...

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

That distributor looks great Glenn Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That distributor looks great Glenn Very Happy

It's already found a new home. Mike (Obnoxious Blue) is taking it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Crowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

1. Fiber shims/spacers that act as oil seals: these look like a thin gasket... How about buying a sheet of gasket material and cutting out the appropriate size?

2. My brother recently bought a 3D printer and he is making me a pair of "H"-shaped plastic wing nuts that secure one end of the centrigugal advance springs. I will post a picture when they are done. Perhaps others would be interested.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Crowan wrote:
1. Fiber shims/spacers that act as oil seals: these look like a thin gasket... How about buying a sheet of gasket material and cutting out the appropriate size?

2. My brother recently bought a 3D printer and he is making me a pair of "H"-shaped plastic wing nuts that secure one end of the centrigugal advance springs. I will post a picture when they are done. Perhaps others would be interested.

I hope he is using the right plastic. There is only one or two put there than can handle the load of being tightened down and handle lubricants and heat.....that are available in 3D printer filaments.

There are a few high temp nylons and PPS. Thats about it.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Crowan wrote:

Not going to last.

Kawfee is selling genuine Bosch fiber washers for a very reasonable price , $1 each. Just buy two and move on to your next project.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2062535

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Let me try this thread.
Glenn wrote:
You'll have vertical play since it's no longer there and it's acts as a oil seal so you might get oil pushed up into the distributor body.

Hi Glen, does that cross to 111 905 249 > 059 905 259 A
Thank you
Tcash
Crowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Kawfee is selling genuine Bosch fiber washers for a very reasonable price , $1 each. Just buy two and move on to your next project.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2062535

The issue is that I live inCanada and shipping is US$10. Not happening.

EDIT: an email to Kawfee's company and they are mailing to me in Canada an envelope by regular post of about $2.

I acquired for free in Vancouver, BC from a local gasket company a 1/16'' piece of Thermoseal Klingersil C-4401 fibre gasket which I will be cutting to shape and sanding slightly thinner.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

What is the demand for this small plastic wing? I build plastic injection molds, always looking for another VW project, plastics have come a long way since the 70s, anyone have the dims. on one? I was reading these post looking for info on which distributor to run or have restored on my next project and this NLA part sparked my interest!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
What is the demand for this small plastic wing? I build plastic injection molds, always looking for another VW project, plastics have come a long way since the 70s, anyone have the dims. on one? I was reading these post looking for info on which distributor to run or have restored on my next project and this NLA part sparked my interest!

There's two different plastic spring retainers in the 1974 and later Bosch distributors. One on the points cam shaft and the other on the main shaft plate spring retainer stud.

It would be interesting if you could print them and if they'd be durable enough. The distributor like the engine goes through lots of heat cycles.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Wouldn't print them, build mold direct, small enough part to make easily, built plenty of molds for underhood parts, changing matl is pretty simple most mat'l that would be used for this application have similar shrink rates which is all that would effect the mold size. Could build a mold with all required parts, bushings, ect. would be a" family mold" plastics are MUCH better now, even have access to a German molding machine, for the purist,lol.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Thinking back, it seems to me that the plastic 'wings' and the fibre washers are the key 'worn', NLA parts that hold folk back from restoring these common ditributor types.
Having them available could be the difference between a piece of junk and a $100 plus restored, quality distributor. Of course, you still need a fair quality core to start with (which is a problem in my part of the world), but I think there would be a few people very keen to have a handful of these (me included!)
Watching with interest!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

I have wondered if there is an off the shelf bit of tubing which could be cut up and the pieces forced down over the spring posts?
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

I thought it would be interesting to post pics of the condition of a 'known' distributor. Although I have refurbished a few distributors now, I had never replaced the original distributor from our Kombi (if it ain't broke!...)
Anyway, for a seperate reason I needed to swap it over, so I decided to service it. We have had the Kombi for 19years, and I am pretty sure the distributor has never been serviced or replaced. As confirmation, the Kombi was built in October 1977, and the distributor date code is 729: September 1977. It has done 220,000km (about 140,000 miles) and to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised by its condition. One fibre washer had disintegrated and one 0.2mm shim had separated into two concentric parts, one a sliver of a ring. Otherwise it was fairly clean.

I dismantled as per the thread, cleaned with kerosene and isopropyl alcohol, blasted the outside of the body with baking soda using a spot blasting gun and then used metal polish. The shims were 0.2mm and 0.3mm and I replaced them with 2x 0.3mm. New fibre washers, soaked in oil and I reused the other hardware. New Bosch/Beru service parts and lubricated with oil/Bosch distributor grease as per the Volvo diagram up thread. Perfect amount of up and down play in the shaft, good as new and will serve as a spare, maybe never to be used again!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Nice job Phil.

Those distributors were well made. If the plastic spring retainers are in good shape and not brittle, they can last for decades after a good PM service like what you did.

Its amazing the filthy condition I see so many of these distributors in when I restore them. Breaker plates almost frozen. The lubrication that was applied 40+ years ago is gone and replaced with dirt, grit and debris.

They work so much better after being cleaned and re lubricated!

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Excellent work.

I noticed the position of the capacitor. A while ago I had some "fun" with mounting it after noticing it wouldn't let me rotate my distributor enough to set the correct ignition timing in that particular position.

The details are in this post. The best capacitor position, and what I think NOS distributors for Type 4 engines would be assembled like, I found out to be #2:

Decode your M-Plate
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Thanks furgo , that's interesting. I can see your point, although I remounted the capacitor/condenser in the same location as it has always been. I haven't had any difficulties setting the timing, although I'm not sure how close it came to any other part of the engine. At the moment I have Pertronix ignition, so it isn't an issue!
Cheers!

Curtquarquesso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

In the market for a new/refurb 021-905-205P distributor. Can anyone point me towards the best source for one at the moment? Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: