Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
http://thegoodvolks.proboards.com/thread/6830/distributor-refresh

He uses wheel bearing grease because he doesn't have Bosch Distributor Grease. The wheel bearing grease is not sticky enough and over time will wear away.

Fiber washers act as a oil seal and reusing the old ones is a sure way to have oil get pushed up the shaft into the body.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
http://thegoodvolks.proboards.com/thread/6830/distributor-refresh

I don't think much of that explanation. Someone's wild unproven guess as to how the 34 pict* carbs work in my estimation.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Glenn wrote:
williamM wrote:
Just asking - as a fibre washer in this application just looks like its begging to come apart.--- might take 70 thousand miles- but still.

The fiber washer acts as a oil seal.

Why not replace it?

In the wild- they are very hard to find- I bought a big bag off here in hops of getting some, but the bag was full of the shims as some body bought the kits just for the washers. I need about 30 of them to start my rebuild of a box full of dist- the washers from Ace are to thick.

I think Glenn offers them.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

glen sent me to the other forum where the guy leaves out some steel to allow for the fat fibre to fit- think I might try that - or go with SK's idea to have a production run of thin ones and sell the rest.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
glen sent me to the other forum where the guy leaves out some steel to allow for the fat fibre to fit-

Not me.

I rebuild the cast iron model and use all Bosch parts. Not cheap but using "hardware" store parts is kinda ghetto. I've rebuild many that someone else built and then failed soon after.

By using Bosch parts i have rebuild that are 15 years old with 100,000 miles and still work like new.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

[quote="Glenn"]
williamM wrote:
glen sent me to the other forum where the guy leaves out some steel to allow for the fat fibre to fit-

Not me.

sorry it was sk.-

is there an outlet for the thin fibre washers- or - as suggested- just have a production run made- the bosch ones seem pretty dense compared to Ace hardware.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

[quote="williamM"]
Glenn wrote:
williamM wrote:

Not me.

sorry it was sk.-

is there an outlet for the thin fibre washers- or - as suggested- just have a production run made- the bosch ones seem pretty dense compared to Ace hardware.

excuse me, I haven't made any suggestions here other than have them made if one cannot find them. I posted a link to a fellow who suggested using a thicker one and sanding it. FWIW I have rebuilt many distributors and my last source for those was Glenn - who has helped many people here out of the kindness in his heart. Currently I only use NOS distributors, the last 205P I have came from VW's overstock a couple years ago for $119 total including shipping from Germany. They sold about 10 of them and several people here scored getting them. The first batch they sold were like $75 plus shipping. Genuine yellow box VW / Bosch. The second batch was more expensive but still reasonable.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

I have real Bosch fiber washers available loose but can't do enough for 30 cores.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

[quote="SGKent"][quote="williamM"]
Glenn wrote:
williamM wrote:

Not me.

sorry it was sk.-

excuse me, I haven't made any suggestions here other than have them made if one cannot find them. I posted a link to a fellow who suggested using a thicker one and sanding it.

Personally I thought the link was well done- and gave my fat washers a ray of hope.

I just ended up with a "Rit Road" of distributors and want to swap meet them out to buy more stuff I actually need.

If Glen will sell some so much the better If I need to order a batch- I have no clue who would make them and out of what.

it's not a high priority right now as the t4 parts are here and 3 sets of Fi parts to deal with.

Don't step in any!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Some guy that shows up at Buses By the Bridge selling rebuilt distributors says he gets his washers from McMaster-Carr IIRC. Never tried to find out what they have to offer myself.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Some guy that shows up at Buses By the Bridge selling rebuilt distributors says he gets his washers from McMaster-Carr IIRC. Never tried to find out what they have to offer myself.

I've seen them, they are no the same.

Besides the correct dimensions, they have to be made from the correct material.

Wear, oil and heat can cause the wrong material to fail.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Slow progress continues!...
Cleaned and polished the bearing surfaces with 2500 grit emery paper and oil and then cleaned everything with isopropyl alcohol. I need to remind myself what needs distributor grease and what needs engine oil. The fibre washers will be soaked in oil and the shaft will be oiled. Probably everything else will get a thin coat of distributor grease.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Keep at it, Phil! Cool

-dasdachshund
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

dasdachshund wrote:
Keep at it, Phil! Cool

-dasdachshund

Thanks Gil.
I'm acheiving several things here:
Keeping myself amused.
Creating a thread with a few useful bits of information, thanks to the wonderful knowledge base of theSamba.
Realising that when a wise head says, 'I wouldn't bother going to the effort of doing that' that maybe I should listen.
Accepting that nothing is ever really as simple as I think it will be.
Discovering that distributor grease is super thick! It's like wax. I still don't know whether to just lightly smear it on, or to slather on thick globs, I've gone thin for now.

My current issues are that the central shaft is really tight as you pass it up through the body of the distributor. (Despite cleaning and deburring the end). Definitely needs a judicious hammer to persuade it through. I'm thinking that I'll heat up the body to expand it a little before I try to reinsert it.
Also, getting the hidden 7/8 circlip back on is a royal pain. I know the theory, using a metal pen insert over the top, I just haven't found one the right size. 6mm should do it. I'll keep looking!
Once I've cleaned all four up, I'll decide which parts to move across between them to (hopefully!) make three good ones.
Sorry for the slow progress!

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Also, getting the hidden 7/8 circlip back on is a royal pain. I know the theory, using a metal pen insert over the top, I just haven't found one the right size. 6mm should do it. I'll keep looking!

6mm deep socket and a very small hammer to "tap" it on.

Drop the thrust washer on, center the wire circlip and make sure it's centered. Drop the 6mm socket in place and gently tap it to put it on.

it takes a bit of practice and a gentle touch.... i've done quite a few over the past 15 years.

Make sure you clean both the fixed and movable breaker plate. Apply Bosch distributor grease to the raised surfaces and they should move easily when back together. If you bend one, it will never work correctly.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

6mm deep socket and a very small hammer to "tap" it on.

Drop the thrust washer on, center the wire circlip and make sure it's centered. Drop the 6mm socket in place and gently tap it to put it on.

it takes a bit of practice and a gentle touch.... i've done quite a few over the past 15 years.

Make sure you clean both the fixed and movable breaker plate. Apply Bosch distributor grease to the raised surfaces and they should move easily when back together. If you bend one, it will never work correctly.

Damnit! I thought of a socket, but I ASSumed that it would be too thick to fit in the gap. I'll definitely give it a try, thanks!

Since you're there Glenn, are you generous with the grease, or should I just use a fairly thin smear on all the moving elements, so it doesn't throw off everywhere?
Cheers, and thanks for the small parts you sent! Very Happy

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

don't ever force a shaft that spins thru a brass / oilite bearing using a hammer. If you are right handed, hold the distributor armature in your left and a clean flat mill file in your right. At a angle where the file moves about 35 - 45 degrees to the armature, turn the armature and let the file just sit flat on the surface. Do not push hard down on the contact surface, let it sit of its own weight. Spin the armature against the file as you do this. Go all the way around a couple times until it skims smoothly against the file. This will not gouge it unless you tilt the file or use something other than an inch or so wide mill file. Then use 1500 - 2000 grit wet and dry wrapped around it to polish out any imperfections that might exist. I wrap the paper around the armature and spin it a few times. Rinse it and dry it with a clean towel. Put a little oil on it and see if it will fit smoothly. If not try starting from the opposite direction to see if you can determine where it is binding. Use a small semi round jewelers' file to get rid of any nicks you created. You can also use an exacto blade. Do not sand the bearing or it will pick up the grit. If that armature is tight, it will heat up, seize and take out the brass gear - see where this is headed? It must go in easily and spin freely. Once you have that follow Glenn's instructions to grease it before a final assembly.

Most likely there are either imperfections from its spinning - or worse the end was mushroomed when it was driven out with a hammer.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
don't ever force a shaft that spins thru a brass / oilite bearing using a hammer. If you are right handed, hold the distributor armature in your left and a clean flat mill file in your right. At a angle where the file moves about 35 - 45 degrees to the armature, turn the armature and let the file just sit flat on the surface. Do not push hard down on the contact surface, let it sit of its own weight. Spin the armature against the file as you do this. Go all the way around a couple times until it skims smoothly against the file. This will not gouge it unless you tilt the file or use something other than an inch or so wide mill file. Then use 1500 - 2000 grit wet and dry wrapped around it to polish out any imperfections that might exist. I wrap the paper around the armature and spin it a few times. Rinse it and dry it with a clean towel. Put a little oil on it and see if it will fit smoothly. If not try starting from the opposite direction to see if you can determine where it is binding. Use a small semi round jewelers' file to get rid of any nicks you created. You can also use an exacto blade. Do not sand the bearing or it will pick up the grit. If that armature is tight, it will heat up, seize and take out the brass gear - see where this is headed? It must go in easily and spin freely. Once you have that follow Glenn's instructions to grease it before a final assembly.

Most likely there are either imperfections from its spinning - or worse the end was mushroomed when it was driven out with a hammer.

Good advice. Thanks. I've been pretty gentle, but I'll be more so! Embarassed

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Bosch Distributor Grease is pretty thick so if you put too much, it should stay in place and not spin off.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Reading through this thread has taught me if I need one of these dizzys, I'll buy a rebuilt one from Glenn.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: