Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Reading through this thread has taught me if I need one of these dizzys, I'll buy a rebuilt one from Glenn.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com

You're absolutely right, of course, John. Wink
(Except Glenn 'won't touch them').
tasb, SGKent and wcfvw69 have a lot of experience between them and have made this thread what it is, which is a caution to anyone thinking of refurbishing one of these later, aluminium distributors, a fund of tips for anyone that does take it on, and a demonstration of how long and involved it can get for an enthusiastic amateur. (Which is probably the majority here) Cool
I have learned a huge amount from similar threads on TheSamba, and I am grateful to those experts who continue to offer great advice (and much more!) in the face of relative ignorance. I can now rebuild Bus and Ghia clocks, wiper motors, altitude adjusters, carburettors and much more, where I couldn't before, and if I can't end up with a working distributor out of all of this, it's not the end of the world. Confused
Just happy to share my experiences, good and bad! Very Happy

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
H2OSB wrote:
Reading through this thread has taught me if I need one of these dizzys, I'll buy a rebuilt one from Glenn.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com

You're absolutely right, of course, John. Wink
(Except Glenn 'won't touch them').
tasb, SGKent and wcfvw69 have a lot of experience between them and have made this thread what it is, which is a caution to anyone thinking of refurbishing one of these later, aluminium distributors, a fund of tips for anyone that does take it on, and a demonstration of how long and involved it can get for an enthusiastic amateur. (Which is probably the majority here) Cool
I have learned a huge amount from similar threads on TheSamba, and I am grateful to those experts who continue to offer great advice (and much more!) in the face of relative ignorance. I can now rebuild Bus and Ghia clocks, wiper motors, altitude adjusters, carburettors and much more, where I couldn't before, and if I can't end up with a working distributor out of all of this, it's not the end of the world. Confused
Just happy to share my experiences, good and bad! Very Happy

I think anyone who wants to try and refurbish one of the DVDA or 70's aluminum distributors should jump right in a give it a go. It's not hard to do and as the OP is stating, there's lots of great threads on this site to help guide you through the process. The other good news is you can buy these unwanted core distributors at the VW swap meets for almost nothing. I bought several of them for $4 dollars each at the last show I attended. Only one of them wasn't rebuildable.

In my mind, it's SSOO worth the process. My bus was missing the correct 211905205Q 1971 DVDA distributor. I sourced a core at a VW swap meet for a whopping $25 bucks. When I disassembled it, I was extremely pleased that all it required was a deep cleaning, two fiber washers and then relubing the parts with oil or Bosch grease in the appropriate spots. I sourced the correct NOS vacuum can for it as well.

So, I have less than $100 dollars in this refurbished distributor that is in perfect condition and works absolutely flawless. The difference in driveability with a correctly refurbished original distributor/carb vs. the aftermarket Chinese garbage sold today is night and day.

We all see the folks posting daily about their poorly running engines with aftermarket Chinese carbs or distributors. If they'd only reinstall the correct refurbished carb and distributor combo, their problems would be over.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

It wasn't that I didn't believe SGKent, but I finally understand what he meant by getting the inner shaft polished and deburred, and how beautifully it slips through the inner bearings when you've done it. It really doesn't need a hammer (except when it get stuck a teeny bit before it's fully polished!) Very Happy
I have everything cleaned and preliminarily greased, so that I can decide which bits to use to make three good units. Mainly moving stuff like thrust washers and condenser clamps between units.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I definitely don't want to mix up shafts and bodies that go together, but one advance plate has a missing/broken butterfly spring retainer, so I have made a retainer out of high temperature electrical heat shrink. I'm not sure how well that will last, but it's functional for now!

Lastly, I put together the centrifugal advance mechanism and springs, and even though I followed my own orientation instructions, two of the units have the drive dog wanting to go on backwards... grrrr Embarassed
I'll try and work out what has happened there tomorrow. Rolling Eyes
Last pic shows the order of small shim, fibre washer and large shim that goes between the advance plate and the distributor body.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

One of the things you want to measure is the Cam lobe. The part the points rubbing block rides on. These wear out on the ramps (corners) and the flats over time.
Tcash
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
One of the things you want to measure is the Cam lobe. The part the points rubbing block rides on. These wear out on the ramps (corners) and the flats over time.
Tcash

I'll look in my Bentley, but I didn't think I'd seen a spec for this?
Fortunately, all of the cam lobes look ok, but I'll try to find a spec.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

They don't wear, unless the rubbing block collapsed and the points gouged the cam.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
They don't wear, unless the rubbing block collapsed and the points gouged the cam.

They didn't.
I'll stop looking.
Thanks!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

I've seen some cam blocks on the distributor shafts that were severely worn. It appeared that grease/oil got embedded with grit/dirt under the points wear block and grinded the cam lobes undersized. You could visually see the groove where it was worn undersized.

Others I've seen had scratches in the area that I simply polished off w/1500 grit sand paper with oil on it.

Here's a couple of pics of the worst one I've seen. This DVDA distributor was simply junk and was cannibalized for a few usable parts.

**note all the fine grit/dirt that was found all over these parts when it was disassembled.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tcash

I have not seen a spec. just pick the ones with the most consistent measurements.
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Tcash

I have not seen a spec. just pick the ones with the most consistent measurements.
Tcash

Since the points never ride on the full width of the cam I suspect it'll be easy to spot a worn one by the dip in the middle of the cam.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

This thread is helpful if you want to check the orientation of the drive dog (looks like the same distributor too)

Drive dog orientation- which way?

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Long story short...
I had actually written my instruction for reinstalling the points cam shaft onto the main shaft the wrong way around on page one of this thread. Embarassed
Cross checking with Bentley, the drive dog orientation thread and this thread:
Finding TDC
Shows that if the drive dog has the small segment to the left, then the notch above the points cam should be facing towards you.
Like this:

It just remained to reinstall the points plates, clips, condenser clamps and the one good set of points and rotor I had to hand, and I'm almost done. (I would hate to leave the thread incomplete!) I do need to drive the pins back in and replace the retaining spring and the oil seal 'o' ring, but I can do that tonight.
Looks like I've got three distributors that should be in perfect working order! Cool
Thanks to everyone for their help, tips, advice and for making this thread an information point for anyone considering this type of refurb.
Cheers! Very Happy

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Laughing Very nice write up and great comments from the group- especially about re-assembly and orientation of weights and points cam- then the removal of the clip- pure golden.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

I had actually written my instruction for reinstalling the points cam drive dog shaft onto the main shaft the wrong way around on page one of this thread.

I edited your first post on page one. Can you please review and see if I got it right?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8193965#8193965

Tcash
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Perfect Tcash, and thanks for adding the picture. My description was probably a slip of the keys regarding the small and large sides of the wee dog, but the new pic matches the description and is correct.
Cheers!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

I definitely don't want to mix up shafts and bodies that go together, but one advance plate has a missing/broken butterfly spring retainer, so I have made a retainer out of high temperature electrical heat shrink. I'm not sure how well that will last, but it's functional for now!

The original plastic acts as both a retainer and a bushing. With the way you have yours installed at this point in time the springs are functionally going to be longer than they should be. Someone needs to come up with an aftermarket replacement for this part.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

I thought I would add in this diagram that gives a guide to the lubrication points. Originally from a Volvo site, and courtesy of Samba user Chimneyfish. Could be helpful for inexperienced mechanics like myself who need their hands held when deciding how much grease to slather on! Confused
NB 'Do not over oil or over grease'!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

I should round off the thread with the money shot of the three complete distributors I've ended up with. The only thing missing is the 'o' ring on two of them (which I have!)
They all have good quality Bosch or Beru internals and new or part used caps. I can't justify having more than two spares, so I'll put on up for sale at some point.
Thanks to all for advice, and fair warning to anyone taking this job on: have a good read of the thread first!

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

I just picked up a 205P core and will be rebuilding it for a friend.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 021 905 205P distributor refresh (pics) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

The original plastic acts as both a retainer and a bushing. With the way you have yours installed at this point in time the springs are functionally going to be longer than they should be. Someone needs to come up with an aftermarket replacement for this part.

The bushing part is what's really needed. The spring end fits snuggly on it over the pin. W/out the bushing, the spring will flop around on the pin. I have a few cores that are perfect minus those broken bushings/retainers. I need to do some research to find a work around for it.

One thing for sure though, these original Bosch distributors that are still tight with good points cams and non-worn advance weights and pins sure do work beautifully after they have been disassembled and cleaned of the 40 years of dirt and old dry grease. Even better with NOS vacuum cans bolted up to them.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: