Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

V6 Diesel Engine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eaders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: V6 Diesel Engine Reply with quote

I know it sounds crazy but is it possible? I've seen images/threads of a V8 Vanagon and other V6 Vanagons but do the dimensions for a diesel engine of the 3.0 variety (I'm thinking CATA engine code) work for the engine bay space? Ignoring the raise on the back bed, of course. Further, would the five speed hold the torque? Or is there a porsche transmission that could work?

Roast if you'd like but just looking for information and insight. Many thanks!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Diesel Engine Reply with quote

I looked at it a little. I think one would fit. I was put off by the fact that they are more rare/more expensive. The other dissuading factor for me was the fact that it's not all that hard to tune a 1.9 TDI to enough torque to destroy a stock vanagon trans so doing more work to install a more powerful engine doesn't make sense unless you also want to do a trans conversion along with the engine conversion. A porsche trans would be an option as would a subaru trans with reversed R+P.
eaders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Diesel Engine Reply with quote

This is the kind of information I was looking for. Just from your post Ive got several new ideas about things to search for. Thank you!

Glad to hear you think it would fit. That is one of two major obstacles to this project.

I heard anything above stock 1.9TDI (Like ALH) torque would start to crunch the trans unless it had its 3rd/4th rings rebuilt. Either way, I'd have to get a new tranny anyway because I don't think a 4 speed would be a great combination with a V6. Plus the resale value for the 4 speed makes it a good little help to buying a 5-speed or porsche 6-speed. This is my 2nd main sticking point; can I mate a CATA flywheel (Or vice versa) with any tranny that would work for a Vanagon with its RWD? i.e. 5-Speed or Porsche 6-Speed.

My part of Canada they are not necessarily rare but they have only been on the road for five years so it's hard to get just an engine without spending a ton of money to buy a donor car, i.e. not worth it. I need to wait for a rear ender or some unrelated engine collision so I can get a good engine out of a write off.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Diesel Engine Reply with quote

I think a Porsche or 012 (flipped upside down with the bellhousing cutoff and rewelded 180 degrees) are probably your only viable options. A while back, there was a small batch of reversing tailshaft gear sets made up to reverse the drive of some Audi automatics, but I think those are no longer available.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Jeroen_M625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Diesel Engine Reply with quote

It already has been done. A couple of years ago I bought a 2.5 V6 TDI 110kW from a fellow syncronaut, so he could start his Subaru H6 project.

A 4 cilinder TDI can produce easily more torque and thus power with some minor tuning, but there is a big difference. A TDI hammers on the crankshaft. A 4 cilnder does this 2 times every revolution, a v6 3 times with a smaller impact. If you understand this than you know why a two mass flywheel is crucial for your gearbox and why a v6 with more power is not more evil than a 4 cilinder.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: V6 Diesel Engine Reply with quote

Jeroen_M625 wrote:
A TDI hammers on the crankshaft. A 4 cilnder does this 2 times every revolution, a v6 3 times with a smaller impact. If you understand this than you know why a two mass flywheel is crucial for your gearbox and why a v6 with more power is not more evil than a 4 cilinder.

Agreed, a V6 (but small V6!) might be better than an equivalent I4 for gas transaxles. The heavy two-mass flywheel makes sense too. And weight on the pulley too? And de-tune? Engine might sound strange but your transaxle will be happier.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Diesel Engine Reply with quote

eaders wrote:
I know it sounds crazy but is it possible? I've seen images/threads of a V8 Vanagon and other V6 Vanagons but do the dimensions for a diesel engine of the 3.0 variety (I'm thinking CATA engine code) work for the engine bay space? Ignoring the raise on the back bed, of course. Further, would the five speed hold the torque? Or is there a porsche transmission that could work?

Roast if you'd like but just looking for information and insight. Many thanks!

IMO - You're going to have a happier life going the well worn path of ALH + built 3rd and 4th.

I'm sure you can do a 6 cylinder, but you'd be in rare company and see more unique issues. If you have plenty of time and cash then I'd say go for it. Actually, you need those for just the ALH, so plenty extra time and cash Wink

Make a thread and post lots of pics!
Jeroen_M625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: V6 Diesel Engine Reply with quote

A lot of (Audi 5L and V6) engines do fit with the SA bellhousing. Other option is UN1 gearbox, it can take a lot more power.

About de-tuning: no reason why engine would sound strange. If you remap the ecu then you can limit the torque just like the original map already has. diesel-> more fuel = more torque = more power and vice versa. A very cruede way to limit toque is to limit the travel of the pedal. Just put a wooden block beneath it Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: