Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cory's 72 Squareback
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Long time lurker finally taking the plunge to start my own thread. I own a 1965 Karmann Ghia (long-time project car) and recently purchased this 1972 Squareback from a neighbor who purchased it off a farm in Colorado for $100.

Virtually no history on the vehicle it seems relatively in decent shape for sitting in a field for a couple decades. I know that it was originally a California car, but ended up in Colorado.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The plan is to get it running and stopping and comfortable to ride in. Definitely get all the mechanical/electrical working properly, which at first inspection, may not be too difficult. Give her some new shoes and adjust her stance a bit and then just enjoy the experience of cruising it around.

There is great knowledge on this site and I am impressed with the camaraderie and enthusiastic members. Hopefully you'll all assist on my Type 3 journey.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Welcome!

Check out this thread which covers a lot of what to do with a new (to you) car or one that's been out of service for a long time:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624072
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Welcome!

Check out this thread which covers a lot of what to do with a new (to you) car or one that's been out of service for a long time:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624072

Great info, thanks. Had the car for about a month and a half and have already started most of what's included on that page.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

More photos, please!
Still FI?
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Here are a few more photos of when i pushed her from my neighbors side of the street to my side of the street.

corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Here is what the power plant looked like.

corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

I learned to drive with a ’72 Squareback. My parents had one when I was in high school and I was surprised by the sentimental connection when I actually sat in this one some 30+ years removed. The first car I bought was a ’63 Bug, then a ’72 Super Beetle, then a ’67 Ghia. Always had a deep affection for the air-cooled V-Dubs.

So, I’ve actually had this ’72 Square for a couple months now and have been able to get quite a bit done.

Drained and cleaned fuel tank
Replaced bad fuel lines
Removed EFI and replaced with dual carbs. Kept all the EFI parts; it may go back at some point, but in order to maintain a happy household this needs to run “now” as I already have a ’65 Ghia occupying garage space, and old school carburation was in my current wheelhouse.
New battery
Oil change and tranny check
Replaced rear brake cylinders
Replaced front and rear brake lines
New 4-1/2” stock rims w/Wolfsburg chrome caps
New 155/60R15 front shoes and 185/65R15s in the rear.
Checked all electrical, few gauge issues, but all lights are working. Need to replace the turn signal switch.

This is how she currently looks. She runs and stops well.

corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Working on an old car always has it's challenges. I had to replace the turn signal switch so I figured I'd replace the cracked brittle ugly steering as well. The wiper switch on the opposite side worked fine. With new wheel turn switch in hand. a quick change was in order. as I went to remove the switches the wiper switch, brittle for decades of sitting, broke apart upon removal.

Not having one on hand (because it worked) I had to search for one. After finding a new one and getting it shipped, everything went back together like a charm.

As the journey continues I am nervous and curious about what lies ahead.
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

DOH!

'72 Squareback with '73 seats. Ugh, Shame on me for not paying closer attention.

corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Went to adjust the stance on the front end yesterday and could not break the allen bolt free, any suggestions?
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Her new wheels.

corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

OK,

Need the experts. Anyone have a clue which visor i need to order to get the correct length?

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

corythosaurus wrote:
OK,

Need the experts. Anyone have a clue which visor i need to order to get the correct length?

Try adjusting it first. By that I mean pull the rods out of both ends unti you get it to fit. The hinge/pivot end should be the end to start with first. The sellers really need to include instructions with these things (you're not the first with this problem).

Do a search on lowering, as it's pretty common. You're mainly looking at removing the shock bottom, getting a 5" long M10x1.5 threaded bolt, and removing the short bolt and clip from the opposite side. You'll need to remove the bottom ball joint thru bolt (use a jack to take the tension off it so you don't strip it) first, then wedge a screw driver into the slot so the ball joint will slip out of it. Now remove the opposite side bolt and clip, insert the long bolt you bought and you can now index the other end by pulling out the arm, rotating it up 2 clicks or whatever you're lowering it to. Now slide the arm back in, and remove the long bolt,replacing it with the short 1. Now you can do the other side. Keep in mind that you'll have to reset the toe in, as it'll be off. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Try adjusting it first. By that I mean pull the rods out of both ends unti you get it to fit. The hinge/pivot end should be the end to start with first. The sellers really need to include instructions with these things (you're not the first with this problem).

Do a search on lowering, as it's pretty common. You're mainly looking at removing the shock bottom, getting a 5" long M10x1.5 threaded bolt, and removing the short bolt and clip from the opposite side. You'll need to remove the bottom ball joint thru bolt (use a jack to take the tension off it so you don't strip it) first, then wedge a screw driver into the slot so the ball joint will slip out of it. Now remove the opposite side bolt and clip, insert the long bolt you bought and you can now index the other end by pulling out the arm, rotating it up 2 clicks or whatever you're lowering it to. Now slide the arm back in, and remove the long bolt,replacing it with the short 1. Now you can do the other side. Keep in mind that you'll have to reset the toe in, as it'll be off. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much Bob!
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Had the Squareback running great. Nice and steady; then driving home from a quick trip to a store suddenly no sputtering, no hesitation, no missing, just off. She just stopped. Pulled over, checked a few things and called the car ambulance.

Took a few minutes this morning to check to see if I could figure out the issue. I verified it wasn't a fuel issue; I figure I would work my way from the coil to the plugs. Coil checked out fine. When I open the distributor, this is what I found.

The little plastic part which makes contact with the distributor rubbing block failed. Put an old set in I had, and boom! Back and running great.
bluebullseye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

This is looking great! I have the motor to my '72 Square getting rebuilt right now, has fresh paint on from two months ago. Will hopefully be back on the road soon. Keep moving along with yours!

Writer and Independent Publishing Consultant in the DC suburbs: www.johnhmatthews.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

With the help of Bobnotch and a few threads on here, I was able to lower the front two inner splines and replace the 40+ year old shocks in about 90 minutes.

This is a proper front stance.

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Love it!!! Stance is perfect, looking forward to more updates!!!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

corythosaurus wrote:
With the help of Bobnotch and a few threads on here, I was able to lower the front two inner splines and replace the 40+ year old shocks in about 90 minutes.

This is a proper front stance.

Looks good. Did you reset the toe in? If not, you need to get after it, or it'll eat the front tires off it.
I normally do it with a piece of 2by4, and mark where the centers of the tires are on the back side first, then move my board to the front and see which way I need to move the tie rods.
You could also just take it to an alignment shop, and have them re-set the toe.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cory's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Looking good cory, can't wait to see it at the next show!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: