Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Well I've wanted to be back in a late westy a long long time, so when my buddy in Amarillo found one, I was interested! All the pics I had were:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well those are great pics! I asked him to go by and take a look, he did and proclaimed it good. Well, good enough to warrant a 6 hour drive to Amarillo, empty trailer in tow. I must be a glutton for either road trips, or something, because I never say "I wish you were closer." Hahahah. So knowing I was well over my limit on current rolling stock, I sold (or made arrangements to sell) a squareback, my early westy project, and my other early bay. Shop floor cleared, cash in pocket, trailer loaded and away we go!

By the time we got to Amarillo, I was kinda tired of driving, but was excited to see the westy. It was a damn decent price, rumored to be rust free, and had a title! Boooom. So I arrive, and the kid, while friendly, CLEARLY had no business owning a bus. He rolled up the door, and there she was!

This things dirty. And by dirty, I mean filthy. And by filthy, I mean two hobos had sex all winter in it, then locked the doors, rolled up the windows and let it sit in the sun for six years. After that a dog must have moved in, and farted alot. A wet dog. Large wet farting dog with a sack of old onions. That kind of bad. The interior is also kinda wrecked. Complete, but not fantastical.

Phew. I can barely stand to be in it. Important to note is that the drivers seat is mangled somehow. Weird.

I did however get this super duper super rare broom and holder. German M-Coded at m-1mfullashit. Luckily I still have the dining room table from Doodle, so thats covered, you know, later on when I could conceivably stay in this thing.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

So we roll it outside. Immediately large LARGE tufts of hair and fur start blowing off the roof with some other crap. My buddy Parker referred to them as not dust bunnies, but dust JACK RABBITS. Im pretty sure there was a cat and several puppies that blew off the roof. It was super gross.

Me- “You have a dog?”
Him – “yeah a couple.”
Me- “Like big huge massively shedding dogs?”
Him – “Naah. Little puppies.”
Dog spawn of hell in background, in booming tones - “WOOF WOOF”
2nd Dog, also large - “FCK YEAH WOOF WOOF”.
36 small dogs, in chorus “yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip”
Him – “……………………”

Well I came this far, lets load Hobo (sorry, Hobbes) up and head out.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Once loaded, I throw a strap on to keep the top from wiggling, opening, and self destructing. Required? Probably not, but I’d rather play it safe.

As per my usual, I had to stop and wash this filthy mofacker off. It was covered in filth I didn’t wanna carry home.

Better and back on the road! We stopped at my buddys dad’s restaurant and had a damn amazing green chili cheeseburger.
(Bookmark: And if you should find yourself in the vicinity of Amarillo, do stop in to Green Chile Willy's, it's fantastic! http://www.greenchilewillys.com/Welcome.html)

Bellies full, we stopped for fuel before blasting off. You know, he looks a bit like Ichabod Crane with that strap around him. Hmmmm..

Finally made it back home. I shall unload tomorrow.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Boom! Unloaded into the back of the shop, nice and cozy like. Lets pop the top and see what we have. Kid says the canvas sucks pretty badly.

Not bad. Usable definitely.

But Kirk, what about that big beefy power plant though? Oh yeah! Check this out!

Invisible motor! Okay, so apparently he and his mother pulled the motor out and left it at her house in Possum Kingdom so they could rebuild it. (leaks oil, smokes maybe?) So now a trip to Possum Kingdom is in order! That aint no short drive. Away we go!

This flippin thing is heavy as hell! Ill go through it and see what I have soon. Stopped by Patricks (aka camping Jesus) and picked up some seats and a free propane tank for no reason. Always good to see him and Ashley.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

BTW, last weekend I scored some free cabinets, that have all the parts for mine!

Just for giggles i opened the valve covers on the motor. It was pretty turrible.

That looks like infrequent oil changes, cheap oil and high heat. Basically being abused. Looking forward to working on this one. Its ugly, stinky and ugly, but its nearly rust free. Anywhoo, that’s the tale of my westy so far. Time will tell what I can do with it. I hope to strip the respray off and save some of that delicious sage green if I can. Stay tuned!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I want that damn '75 big door rear cabinet you got! Nice score!

What bays did you sell? You didn't sell the beautiful red one, right?
Not a Priest.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
I want that damn '75 big door rear cabinet you got! Nice score!

What bays did you sell? You didn't sell the beautiful red one, right?

Naah. Not that one. If you were around I'd give the cabinet to ya! I had an 70 westy (with the highroof) and a 72 deluxe I sold. This is the one I'm considering a Subie swap in.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

That looks like a really good find, despite the filth. That will all clean up.

Seriously, this is going to be one nice Westy when you are done with it. Good on ya!

So it is named "Hobbs" for Hobbs, New Mexico, or a misspelling of Hobbes of Calvin and Hobbes, or what? I'm guessing what.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Probably a good call strapping the roof down. I passed a tow-behind non vw camper on the highway a few weeks ago - his top popped up while traveling and opened up the camper like a sardine can.

Nice camper! Love that old green color peeking out in the wheel wells!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbs; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
That looks like a really good find, despite the filth. That will all clean up.

Seriously, this is going to be one nice Westy when you are done with it. Good on ya!

So it is named "Hobbs" for Hobbs, New Mexico, or a misspelling of Hobbes of Calvin and Hobbes, or what? I'm guessing what.

Bus came to Amarillo from Hobbs , New Mexico. Calvin and Hobbes is my favorite cartoon strip, ever. I updated the thread to indicate "Hobbes", because I like that better.

Thanks for the compliments!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I thought maybe the name came from a play off the word hobos, since you said hobos made love inside.
Not a Priest.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Hobbs-- definitely needed clarifying -- didn't want to follow a thread about hobo activity Twisted Evil

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nice bus...originally green?

Most westys deserve a good interior strip n bleach anyway.

My two did. More mouse poop and hidden gems than I believed. Mold too.

You may be able to cobble it together for little money, but spend on the quality parts the first time and do it right. It's amazing how $$ adds up quickly on these things!

Have fun!
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

enjoyed the thread. look fwd to watching your rebuild

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nice score brother. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

echebus it clearly is not... Surprised but might be one day! Regardless, anything that is not peppered with rot and is mostly complete is a good score in my book. And if you are happy with what you paid for it, then you're ahead there, too.

I am frequently puckered up about properly securing the pop top on our 87 Westy. I would probably have an instant heart attack and wreck the van if that damned top slammed open at 75 MPH. Criminy! Just typing that makes my jaw lock up. Laughing
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Entertaining read so far. Look forward to watching the progress.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Spent many summers in Lovington NM in my youth and 1.5 years in Hobbs working and schooling. This movie is just as good on this channel Kirk.

Great project.

Bus in Hobbs and motor at PK? Weird.
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

" I would probably have an instant heart attack and wreck the van if that damned top slammed open at 75 MPH"

i would have to drive off a cliff to get 75 mph

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Ricache wrote:
Spent many summers in Lovington NM in my youth and 1.5 years in Hobbs working and schooling. This movie is just as good on this channel Kirk.

Great project.

Bus in Hobbs and motor at PK? Weird.

Bus in Amarillo (A Hobbs bus) motor in PK. Still weird.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: