Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

that is one kick-ass muffler set up!
hope you get to hear it soon Cool
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Yesterday was glorious! Decided to get out in the shop and clean/assess what I have and need to do. This bus finally moved up the priority list. First up, open it up and lets let it air out! (still kinda funky)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So previously, on "Hobbes the Westfalia", we determined that the hobo sex flavored interior was:

a)wrecked
2)hobo sex flavored
11)dirty and missing parts

Also, the drivers seat is bad.

So first off, me and my buddy BFH removed the drivers seat. In addition to being broken, nasty and broken, it was frozen in place. BFH is not to be denied.

There is an extra ordinarily large amount of peanut shells in this bus. Not sure why. But this seat is broken badly. Back is bent, and broken at the welds, and all the bottom springs feel like they are moving independently of the base. Its garbage. I was hoping i could use other seat parts I have to repair it, but its pretty well junk. Pity.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

So I vacuumed for the better part of 45 minutes. Just that much junk and garbage, everywhere. The cabinets are all picked on and chipped up like some nervous junkie with too much time on his hands imagined bugs under the surface and worked diligently to free them. Infuriating. Gouges in the wood, etc.

Vacuum as I might, under all the dirt and hair, this rear cushion is just absolutely filthy. I still have to shampoo the interior, but I dont see anyway this grease laden thing is coming clean.

So as I'm cleaning, I notice a wire ziptied to the steering column. Since we all know thats not factory, I decide to see where it goes. On the top, its just some bare wire jammed into the ignition plug.

Down the column....

Through the floor and past the horn......

Down the length of the body, to dangle randomly......

and into the damn fuel pump.

In my head that probably means the double relay isnt sending power to the fuel pump, so instead of replacing the relay, they botched a wire. Idiots. I bet i find mucho more hacks. So I ripped it all out. It does explain the missing lower ignition housing, because when you are up to some f*ckery, you want the world to know you are up to some f*ckery, right?!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

So the previous owners, in all their genius, ripped the white liner off the headliner board. I assume it was to do two things. Tell the world they are in love, (by world, I mean whomever rides in the passenger seat and looks up) and to smear some fecal like non fecal material up top.

#ifthatspooiquit

I did find a snazzy, non working pen. In the key of my buddy who names cars after what he finds inside, maybe I should rename the bus "Cowlitz".

Walking around the front, I notice what appears to be plastic tufts hanging out of the front vent. Feeling investigative, I remove the nose screen.

Yep, thats a wadded up deteriorated Hefty Bag. I assume they were too stupid/cheap/lazy to repair the flaps the right way so they stuffed it full of garbage bags. At least its not socks. I found a bus grill full of very nasty socks once. *shudder*

Cleaned it all out. This front grill has been painted a million times. I have an OG green one somewhere, Ill just swap it. Speaking of parts hoarding..........

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I hoard parts. Its what I do. I mostly hoard bus parts, its true. On this day, that paid off. Remember my cabinets? Lets take another look.

In my vast storage, I managed to find enough pieces to turn that into:

I even had a door for the back cabinet, but I need to reglue the laminate.

We gettin fancy now! I also threw this in for good measure.

This is still bad, the fridge doors. I have or had those at one point, i just cant find them yet.

Okay now the worst part is the sink top, and the sink face.

I have had this sink top in my shop for years. Its perfect other than a quarter sized chunk missing in the rear. Does anyone know how to remove just the top? I fiddled with it and didnt get it to budge. I may just remove this laminate with a heat gun and put it on my cabinet.

Im forever far off with a million things to do, but at least it looks better inside! (Smells much better so far..)

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

So I was sitting down, taking mental note of all the issues I see, when i curse the slider door. They spray painted the inside pitch black. Ugh. Black is the ugliest color on a bus, IMO. So since I was just sitting, I grabbed my EZ off, 0000 steel wool and a shop towel. Why not see what we are working with?

Well I'll be dammed! Came right off.

I have a sh*tload of scrubbing to do. There is black spray paint literally everywhere on the interior. Steel wool does nothing to the white exterior. Gonna have to get creative on that.

The front doors were painted black inside and out, and later white, inside and out. The regulators are jacked up (even where the winders mount, those teeth) so I bought two doors for the price of regulators. Still not sure if I am swapping doors (probably not one of them, its rusty) or not.

So far so good!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Kirk
Samba Member

Well thats where we are so far. Not making major strides, but definitely getting an idea of where i am and what i need. Gonna be fun (slow) I think. Thanks for keeping me company Constant Reader, until next time.

Oh! This is mounted under the dash, I saw it when I removed probably 50-60 feet of superflous wiring. Literally. And the worlds oldest pioneer tape deck. Weighs 10lbs. Any idea what this might be for?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Awesome bus! You are definitely the right person to save it.
I've used this https://www.lowes.com/pd/CitriStrip-32-fl-oz-Paste-Multi-Surface-Paint-Remover/50417794 to remove crappy paint and glue. Works great. Smells a little funny but not hobo sex funny.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

awesome build thread with great descriptions Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
This things dirty. And by dirty, I mean filthy. And by filthy, I mean two hobos had sex all winter in it, then locked the doors, rolled up the windows and let it sit in the sun for six years. After that a dog must have moved in, and farted alot. A wet dog. Large wet farting dog with a sack of old onions. That kind of bad.

Man, that's funny Laughing I know that smell......
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Zelten wrote:
Awesome bus! You are definitely the right person to save it.
I've used this https://www.lowes.com/pd/CitriStrip-32-fl-oz-Paste-Multi-Surface-Paint-Remover/50417794 to remove crappy paint and glue. Works great. Smells a little funny but not hobo sex funny.

Thanks for the tip! I want to break up that white so I can EZ off the black, so I can get back to the green. Its not my daily bus, so I guess i have time to slowly de-hobo it the right way.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobbes; My 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Great thread....

My '78 was painted yellow and white over the green too...

I am always on the look out for the big cabinet door up front, as I need one so very nice score.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: