Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Remember to bring your penumbrella in case of rain.

Ill be here until Aug 20
ugh....... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the 11 July 1991 solar eclipse in Hawaii. I was a pilot for Aloha Airlines, but I took this photo as a passenger on a flight from HNL to KOA. The top of Mauna Kea is visible in the clouds.

I have a '69 camper and a Vangon in SoCal and I'll be driving with my daughter to Oregon for the 21 August eclipse. For the comfort of my daughter we'll be taking the Vanagon. We have a hotel room in Springfield for the 20th and will drive North in the morning for viewing.

Aloha
tp

Last edited by Tom Powell on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redxxrdr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

More of a bump.
This is coming soon.
I will be staying in Blairesville, Georgia.
No VW, just my little red honda scooter.

I hope to see and meet a few Bay/split owners on the trail.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

It's going to suck if we drive 32 hours and get clouded out.

Remember, the eclipse shadow moves at about 1000 mph so you need to be in place...you cant drive ahead to a better spot. Even Stu.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Clatter, you planning to come up? Anyone else from Cali?

Yo. But I'm not driving on the 5 across state lines.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

Is anybody going down to around the Kentucky area? We are thinking of heading down that direction but not sure of an out of the way area to view from?

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

our town is right in the path...ain't gotta go no wheres..
tons of visitors expected ,hotel rooms have been booked for months

I'll just be working,probably be an hr or two north of the path on my route when it happens..wife is a state worker , they are all getting the day off since the state capital is in the path
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

Bump! The wife and I are having a "bus" get together if anybody is near Alsea Oregon. Portable toilets, potable water, within 1 hour of the Oregon coast.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

I'm gonna be in South Carolina, any VW things to do? I was thinking to go to that VW graveyard, Aubrey Watson. Do I just show up or do I call him?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

Our orange 74 will be just south of Lincoln City from Saturday through Monday. BC plates. Honk and holler if you see us on the road.
narfro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

The Fez wrote:
Our orange 74 will be just south of Lincoln City from Saturday through Monday. BC plates. Honk and holler if you see us on the road.

Are you worried about marine layer/cloud coverage?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

I'll be there but I'm not driving my Bus into a potential nightmare. I'm renting a minivan.

Should be fun.
Goge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

I'm bummed a bit. I had planned and plotted to get my Bus ready for an eclipse trip from Medford, OR to John Day, OR where my oldest brother lives in an outstanding off-the-grid house up the slopes of the Strawberry Mountains.

However- life and things are always in the way. So the Bus doesn't have enough interior bits to transport the whole fam. This is what should have been:

But this is what will happen:

If I meet some bus people out that way I'll donate my magnetic sign!! Somebody deserves it.

-Goge
Not enough hair on my head
Not enough beer in my fridge
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

That sucks Goge, but nice magnet Wink Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

narfro wrote:
The Fez wrote:

Are you worried about marine layer/cloud coverage?

It will be terrible. I suggest that everyone, and I mean everyone, make their way to central and Eastern Oregon instead.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

Have you seen the news reports of the traffic jams in Eastern Oregon?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

The Fez wrote:
It will be terrible. I suggest that everyone, and I mean everyone, make their way to central and Eastern Oregon instead.

Please don't.
narfro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

I'm headed up to Oregon, but taking a pit stop in Santa Cruz. I was hoping that one of these state parks up here had some available first come first serve, but everything is full. Anyone have any ideas or connections in this area?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

Dude Oregon is a nut house right now. Lots of posts on facebook of the "shove 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound container - Eclipse fest!".

No Bueno. Indeed.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official 21-Aug-2017 Solar Eclipse Thread Reply with quote

God! I'm insane enough to go there tonight. My wife and I rented a minivan and I'm sure we're making a huge mistake. I've already been in touch with town officials where we're going and they told me they have no local police force but will have the state troopers "on speed dial." Laughing

We're bringing 6 gallons of water and 5 gallons of gas, bear spray in case someone goes poco loco at the campsite, plus a dozen cans of food and whiskey.

Maybe I'll see some Buses!

God help us. Rolling Eyes

notchboy wrote:
Dude Oregon is a nut house right now. Lots of posts on facebook of the "shove 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound container - Eclipse fest!".

No Bueno. Indeed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: