Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Expected longevity of Subaru transplants?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Somewhat OT perhaps but when shopping for a used Subaru motor to install, what kind of mileage (total or average per year) do you look for? If I located a 2006 with 200k — 20k miles year average — what needs doing before the transplant (belts and hoses, naturally) and how long do you expect before a rebuild? Another 100k? 200k?

Is there a buyer's/shopper's guide I didn't see? The Compleat Idiot's Guide to Engine Swaps (inspired but not written by John Muir)?

I grew up in the Malaise era when domestic cars reigned and no one could imagine keeping a car past 50-60k miles, unless it was a Mercedes or Volvo and no one I knew had one of those. These machines with their 200,000 mile break-in periods(!) would have been unimaginable then.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

I haven't done a Subaru conversion but 200k is already a lot of miles.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

I think it will depend on the MY of the motor. For example, there is a certain time period when Subaru had a sealing problem on their engines - around MY 2000

likely other things too

but they are generally regarded as strong engines, even if not "over-built" like the "extra" crank bearing on a Porsche 911 motor, some of which have 400k on them
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Personally, I think that mileage is just a tad high.

I looked for the hell of it and the first page produced a bargain with 40,000 less miles:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5741100692.html

I'll give you $100 for the snow tires.It already has a new timing belt so there you go. another $150 saved. Just give me the tires and $50 and we'll call it even.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

This is what you should be looking for.... but like $500-$600. I bet you'll find one if you are patient.

ps. I got my EJ22, 1993 w 140K miles for pennies. Just waiting till my wbx 2.1 seems to be more dead.. Now it goes along very well, actually. (no problem keeping up with traffic on the freeways @75mph)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5745089982.html
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Somewhat OT perhaps but when shopping for a used Subaru motor to install, what kind of mileage (total or average per year) do you look for?

Unless you need a specific engine due to location, I wouldn't waste my time with any core over 100K. Then you would expect to get another 100K out of it before major maintenance was needed.

If you are in the PNW, there should be tons of options available for you
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5745089982.html

Is the OP looking for a EG33? Those motors are known to put out more then enough power to ruin trannys. The EZ series motors are the modern version of that motor and are easier to find parts for.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Good information, thanks all.

I think a Compleat Idiot's Guide would be useful, starting with procuring a motor (tradeoffs and other stuff included) and what decisions you'll be making as a result. Or you could trawl through a million threads, then start a build thread of your own… Confused

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Contact any automotive insurance adjuster.
Or contact a body shop, and ask them for a few adjusters contact info.

Engines out of low miled Subarus abound, and in the $6-700 dollar range.
This is what happens around here.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

You do realize you need a harness as well, right?

So you cant just buy a motor.

and it is much better to drive the car first, and $1200-1500 for an entire car very quickly starts to become a great deal.

Pull the engine, harness, possibly sell the tranny, or just scrap the rest and get $100 back form the scrap man.

So you are in $1100-$1400 for a motor you know runs good and a matched harness that you also know is good.

Id rather have that than a junkyard motor any day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

My runner take out 2.2 from a conversion lasted 2K before it chucked a rod. A used engine is a used engine.
Keep in mind that anything can wear out. A Subaru engine is not a "get out of jail free" card for a Vanagon.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Mine was rebuilt from scratch and lasted +30,000 miles before it blew a gasket and fried the valves. Rebuilt that and its got 18,000 on top of the rebuilt rebuild.

P.S. I drive my van like a car.... hard.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
A Subaru engine is not a "get out of jail free" card for a Vanagon. -Stacy, Sep, 1st, 2016

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Don't bet on any longevity thing.

I've seen new, rebuilt, remanufactured , or whatever engines scatter upon a twist of the ignition module mounted on the steering column.

Think Titanic.
Unsinkable & brand new.

200k is way too many miles on any used engine, unless it was for free.
Then it Might be a bargain.
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

When you do find a good motor, take care of it. With the tiny wheels and low gearing, the Subaru motor (any motor connected to that transmission) are going to turn high rpms on the highway. Its also pushing quite a heavy vehicle. Change your oil often, more often than your other vehicles. Especially if the van sits for long periods of time. Keep on top of your coolant changes as well. Can only help keep the engines running longer.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Here's your "compleat idiots guide" , more or less.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237938&highlight=begins
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

If you have emissions testing look at the last test its a good indicator of health. If it passes with flying colors the engine is usually doing pretty well. Not foolproof but an indicator. I got my EJ22 with somewhat high miles (154,000), but clean test results. Opened it up and ended up just putting new headgaskets on as it was clean inside with fresh looking hatch marks on the bores and no discernible wear. Warm idle oil pressure within new engine spec. Three years later still turning away nicely. I might just pickup another to get rebuilt to swap in later, but so far so good.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

Fly east, find a complete car for 1000$ and drive it back home.

150K miles max.

Do the HG and timing components.

You will be good for years to come.

If you have Facebook, join this group: Subaru Powered Volkswagens

Great bunch of folks, Neil is on it to.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

In my experience longevity is only as good as the weakest link in the system.
I try to find cars with less then 100K miles then pull the motor and all parts needed myself. Then tear down motor I am going to use (all except bottom end).
If cylinders check out I install new rings, mill the heads and reseal everything, new water pump, pulleys, belt, make my own harness...
Inspect clutch, throwout, clean and lube clutch movable parts, check input shaft slinger/seal, service/lube driveshafts.
After all that is done move onto cooling system. Recondition or replace everything. A leak on plastic pipes or plugged radiator will kill your engine quickly.
After all that I'd expect 100k before next service teardown unless something major fails.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Expected longevity of Subaru transplants? Reply with quote

of course then not everybody wants (or even can have) a parts car dismantled in the garage/yard/driveway. plus the headache of the disassembly and resale of unneeded but used parts.. not always the idylic way to spend a summer.
makes already converted vans of more value/interest to those who prefer to not DIY...

to compound on the above quotes. no used engine swap is a get out of jail free card.
there's both sides of any coin. say those who want to just twist the key and enjoy, and those who want to know each and every intimate part associated..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: