Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1679 stock short block
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

Does anyone know out there if a stock short block (Vw Brazil AS41 case) with a stock crank, cam, and lifters will be able to handle thick wall 88 Pistons? I know that there are other options (like a 1776, 1835, etc) but my question is will stock components (like the cam, crank, rods) be able to take the 88 thick walls. I will machine the heads to have them fit and every time I do a search, everyone talks about a "other than stock" cam. If I have to stick with a 1600 I will, just don't want to get run over in Cali traffic. The only other mod to this engine is a oil pump filter combo that was OEM on Mexican beetles. Thanks for the feedback.

1969 documented numbers matching bug
1968 F250

Keepin the ISS from colliding with space junk
LeninCas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

You can use your stock crank and rods.
I would change your stock cam to a CB 2280 or a W100 if you will be using a stock carb.

I'm even tempted to say that a 1600cc with a W100 will have more power than a 1679 with a stock cam.

Anyway, I suggest a TW 1679 with one of those two cams, compression at 8:1. You will have a nice running motor that can be driven on the highway without any issues.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

I've had stock components cam, crank, rods, case, DP heads, flywheel, clutch for my 1835cc engine for decades. OK, the case and the DP heads were opened up for the 92s, but other parts were stock.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

I built a 88x69 with a "stock" short block (other than c/w crank, light flywheel with an aluminium pressure plate), I didn't even bore the case. Along with ported heads, 1.4 rockers (stock cam), 8.6:1, dual Solex 40PII, etc. It was an awesome little engine. Revved quick, idled smooth, pulled to 5,500 and got awesome mileage. It was an expensive engine for only 75-80hp though Smile
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

I decided to go a different route on the motor. All stock except I'm now going with a scat c25 cam. Maybe going to run 85.5mm Mahle pistons and stock heads. I've started another thread concerning it, but if you want to give feedback on this I'm also good here.

1968 F250

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

johnanddes wrote:
I decided to go a different route on the motor. All stock except I'm now going with a scat c25 cam. Maybe going to run 85.5mm Mahle pistons and stock heads. I've started another thread concerning it, but if you want to give feedback on this I'm also good here.

Hello Mr. Voltron:

Defenders Of The Universe never back down from the 1679 Challenge!

The stock parts will all work just fine with the 88's. If you think that splitting the case will turn your project into something that is garaged for a long time, just do what you originally planned!

I just put 1679 together for my daily driver. Just like yours, dead stock shortblock, Just with better heads and dual idf 40's. On my dyno now and after getting the carbs on this weekend hopefully ready to get some numbers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

Curious how you make out jpaull. Please keep us posted. Doing same type "build".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

Man,

who has a dyno in his living room?

and i thought my livingroom workbench was bad Razz

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

So an update. I stuck with the stock short block. I picked up some Mexican 9mm exhaust valve SP heads. I was going to rejet my 30 Pict-3 (most likely a 125-130 main) to give it more. I want to keep it looking stock and no I dont want dual carbs, I am running SP heads. Have a stock muffler, stock rockers, etc. The only thing different is a spin on oil filter (OEM Mexico oil pump and spin on filter). I cant wait to build it and drive it.

1968 F250

GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

Give the compression a little bump by tightening the deck down to .040"-.050". Should run really nice, make good torque and get great mileage.
LeninCas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

I've put 1.25 ratio rockers on a bone stock 1600 with dual 34s and it ran very nice.

8:1 compression and 1.25s should be a noticeable difference over stock.
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

So an update. Have about 3000 miles on the motor now and its running cherry! I went with a 120 main jet because, well, it smelled like gas was dumping out of the exhaust with a 127.5, 125, and 122.5 main jet. A quick email to Tim @volkzbitz and he also recommended a 120 main. It likes to go 70 down the freeway and 60 up hills, which is what I wanted anyway. Maybe Ill go with 1.25 rockers later, but for now its a good running motor. I get about 20mpg, which isnt too bad (I do have a heavy foot).

A special thanks to Len (@LeninCas) for all your support, parts, and advice. You are the man.

1968 F250

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

I just put 1679 together for my daily driver. Just like yours, dead stock shortblock, Just with better heads and dual idf 40's. On my dyno now and after getting the carbs on this weekend hopefully ready to get some numbers.

What did your engine put out on the dyno?
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
johnanddes wrote:

Hello Mr. Voltron:

Defenders Of The Universe never back down from the 1679 Challenge!

The stock parts will all work just fine with the 88's. If you think that splitting the case will turn your project into something that is garaged for a long time, just do what you originally planned!

Sooooo....how did this turn out? What were your engines numbers? I’m actually thinking about going with a type 3 dual carb set up. I have 34 ICTs but thinking about selling them.

1968 F250

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 stock short block Reply with quote

With the 40x35 heads the torque has not been impressive. When I changed to a 2236 cam that helped some, but the engine simply needs more cc's to match the heads down low. Its been my daily 40 mile per day driver for the last year or so.

With your heads and situation, it will work out much better for torque.

https://youtu.be/K_uuA9VwT0g

https://youtu.be/w7bAyu9Vgeo

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: