Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia converts are you happy with yours? Pros and cons....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia converts are you happy with yours? Pros and cons.... Reply with quote

Keep this in mind.............
Ghia's are not getting any cheaper. The price trajectory over the last couple of years has steepened.

Pro
= a decent one can still be had without spending crazy $
Con= In 5 years you'll wish you bought one now! Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia converts are you happy with yours? Pros and cons.... Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
63 vwnotch wrote:
thanks man... first link was the idiots guide to karmann ghias,lol

well I wished I would have followed up on this thread this morning as I would have bought the Ghia... seem like a killer deal to good to be true, and the guy only had the car 3 months didn't know much about it or Volkswagens in general and said he just needed the money... oh well everything happens for a reason.

Have a guy on the line about a 57 ragtop I've always wanted an oval window but we'll see I may just hold off and look for a Ghia convertible this time I'll dig deep give it some time maybe winter comes rolling around and somebody need some cash:)

what year in general would everyone sya is the best, of course I'm serious Smile

also I noticed some later ghias with that nasty wood grain, I'm assuming underneath is a nicely finished metal dash that can be painted?

Yes, it's a plastic fake wood grain piece that can be removed to a metal dash. I kinda like it as it's so 70's. I like the 69-71 verts the best as they have the glass rear window, early style bumpers, IRS, 57hp, 12 volts etc. Stock they are just nice cars that can be driven anywhere.

We use ours as a daily driver in the summer/fall months with the top down (boot cover on of course) and it gets comments, smiles and finger pointing where ever we go.

While it is true that the faux wood dash is simply a plastic overlay that can be removed, the metal dash beneath does have a few extraneous holes that you may want to weld up should you decide to go that route.

Another option you may want to consider is covering the original plastic overlay with one of the many different styles of 3M Di-Noc vinyl wrap, which is a bit less "cheesy" looking IMO.

kingkarmann wrote:
Keep this in mind.............
Ghia's are not getting any cheaper. The price trajectory over the last couple of years has steepened.

Pro
= a decent one can still be had without spending crazy $
Con= In 5 years you'll wish you bought one now! Cool

x2 on that!
If you think you may want to buy a Ghia, now would be the time to act before the prices go as crazy as they have for some of the other old VW models.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia converts are you happy with yours? Pros and cons.... Reply with quote

We have had 4 Ghias - all late model convertibles.

You live in CA. Get a convertible.

If you want AC install the Gilmore unit. That is what I did.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia converts are you happy with yours? Pros and cons.... Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
We have had 4 Ghias

Shocked Four! Now that's impressive. All convertibles as well. You must have a huge area of under cover parking for them, right?

I am truly impressed.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia converts are you happy with yours? Pros and cons.... Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:
We have had 4 Ghias

Shocked Four! Now that's impressive. All convertibles as well. You must have a huge area of under cover parking for them, right?

I am truly impressed.
Nicholas

We have HAD four convertibles. Currently just one. Two 1970s and two 1971s. One 70 and one 71 were AS cars.

This wasn't planned. Just those cars were available at the right time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: