Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'82 Diesel vanagon. Longer replacement alternator pulley spindle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfdirtyhippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: '82 Diesel vanagon. Longer replacement alternator pulley spindle Reply with quote

I own a '82 diesel Westfalia. I just bought a replacement alternator, but the alternator pulley spindle is about 1/4" longer than the existing one (2 1/4" vs 2"). Is it too risky to go ahead and swap it in?

The distance between the center of the alternator pulley and the next pulley along the belt is about 6", so I'm not sure if the 1/4" extra length will lead to a problem or not. Thoughts?

Thanks.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: '82 Diesel vanagon. Longer replacement alternator pulley spindle Reply with quote

Do you mean the pulley isn’t the same as your old Alternator?
Can you swap pulleys?
And no, a 1/4” difference would probably lead to constant belt wear or belt throwing issues, nether of which you want.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
sfdirtyhippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: '82 Diesel vanagon. Longer replacement alternator pulley spindle Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Do you mean the pulley isn’t the same as your old Alternator?
Can you swap pulleys?
And no, a 1/4” difference would probably lead to constant belt wear or belt throwing issues, nether of which you want.

I'm planning on heading out on a 600 mile trip later in the week, but crunched for time. Thought I might install now and then remove and replace the pulley and pulley spindle when I return. Guessing you'd advise against that too?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: '82 Diesel vanagon. Longer replacement alternator pulley spindle Reply with quote

sfdirtyhippie wrote:
I'm planning on heading out on a 600 mile trip later in the week, but crunched for time. Thought I might install now and then remove and replace the pulley and pulley spindle when I return. Guessing you'd advise against that too?

you absolutely MUST have the correct pulley distance from the alternator. if you're a 1/4" off, you won't make it a 100 miles.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: '82 Diesel vanagon. Longer replacement alternator pulley spindle Reply with quote

i just replaced the alternator on my diesel, does your diesel have a tach? if so you need to make sure the terminal for the tach is hooked up as well. the alternator you are replacing should have the correct pulley installed can you switch them out? put the old pulley on the new alt?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
sfdirtyhippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: '82 Diesel vanagon. Longer replacement alternator pulley spindle Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
sfdirtyhippie wrote:

you absolutely MUST have the correct pulley distance from the alternator. if you're a 1/4" off, you won't make it a 100 miles.

It sounds like I'll need to find the time to do the proper repair (which in this situation means swapping out the pulleys.)

Thanks for everyone's help!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: '82 Diesel vanagon. Longer replacement alternator pulley spindle Reply with quote

sfdirtyhippie wrote:
DanHoug wrote:
sfdirtyhippie wrote:

It sounds like I'll need to find the time to do the proper repair (which in this situation means swapping out the pulleys.)

Thanks for everyone's help!
Some autoparts stores will let you borrow an Pneumatic Impact Wrench, or they'll have a decent Battery/ Cordless model ready to use on the Counter to swap over Pulleys' as needed for Altns.
But again, the easiest way to shred or damage a belt is to have a misalignment of pulleys. 1/4" is like a canyon gap in terms of offset to a running belt stress.
A few thousands would be okay, not 1/4".
For what it's worth, when I got my rebuilt Altn from NAPA, they had a Diesel pulley mounted on it, even though I spec'ed the order for the Water Boxer Engine. Had to swap my pulley over, and put their pulley on the return Core/old part. It happens... Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: