Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - Solved
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - Solved Reply with quote

First thing I did wrong was to let the bus sit for 6 months. It's always been a very strong starter though, and I am now at a loss for what to try next.

1965 6 volt. When I crank the engine, it turns over strong, but never catches. I went through the "Engine Won't Start" procedure in the Muir book twice, and just completed a full tune up, and still nothing. Replaced the fuel pump, and it's pumping fuel when I crank it.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Last edited by ctroutma on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

make sure you got spark. pull a plug wire and connect an old sparkplug and have someone crank the motor while you ground the plug to a good ground.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

A test light connected between the primary terminals of the coil is always a good place to start, does it light up when you turn on the key?, does it blink when you crank? stay on steady?, go dark?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

I do have spark from spark plug wire to ground.

Lights up between terminals on coil at first click, blinks while cranking.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

Switched plug wires?
If you pull a plug is it wet with gas after cranking?
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

Always check for fuel. The fuel pump could have gone dry then cracked in the diaphragm not allowing fuel to the carb. Is the bowl full? Check for fuel, spark, and spark in the right order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

Fuel was checked first, filter is quarter full. Have not looked in carb yet.
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

Plug wires are good. Only pulled one plug but it was dry and looked good.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

Try to pump about a pint in container to make sure the gas line from the tank hasn't gotten plugged and smell the gas as gas goes bad real quick if you didn't put gas stabilizer. If all else fails buy a can of sure start and spray some down the carb throat and crank it up, it will run for 30 sec.s on the sure start. Did you make sure all the carb plugs are in place and the electric cyl. on the carb clicks when the key is turned on. You know your bus will get mad at you if you let it sit so maybe washing and waxing it will make it happy and it will start. Laughing
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

The wash and wax may be best idea, I know there are hard feelings. I have wondered about needing to purge the fuel tank.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Try to pump about a pint in container to make sure the gas line from the tank hasn't gotten plugged and smell the gas as gas goes bad real quick if you didn't put gas stabilizer. If all else fails buy a can of sure start and spray some down the carb throat and crank it up, it will run for 30 sec.s on the sure start. Did you make sure all the carb plugs are in place and the electric cyl. on the carb clicks when the key is turned on. You know your bus will get mad at you if you let it sit so maybe washing and waxing it will make it happy and it will start. Laughing

I know it sounds kinda a silly but...

I have had my 60 Beetle too deep into the garage for the past 2 1/2 years. I recently installed a new battery and nothing, no lights no cranky no nothin. Gave it a wash and the next day it started... just sayin.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

Look at Herbie. You think someone just made that shit up?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

pour a little gas down the carb and try again.

FWIW, I don't drive my 53 very often. It easily sits 6 months between being started up. I do turn the fuel tap to Zu (to/closed/off) when parking it, and let the carb run dry. Then to start it I turn the tap to Auf (from/open/on) and it has to pump gas into the carb before it starts, which gives it time to pump oil round the bearings before starting. If the battery is not dead, I count slowly to 20 while pressing the starter button, and that's about right.
A 65 doesn't have a fuel tap, but generally the gas disappears from the carb if sitting for months, often leaving behind a gooey deposit. So you will have to sit there slowly counting while the engine cranks over.

I have not washed it in years, and it starts.

If you have fuel in the carb, when you pull the accelerator arm, does it actually squirt fuel down the throat?

just dump a little gas in the carb(I use the top of a a rattle can to dump a couple spoonfuls in) and see if it starts.
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic - Engine Cranks But Won't Start - at a loss Reply with quote

FYI - it was the float valve in the carb - sprayed it with some carb cleaner and it fired up.

Thanks for the help - I did also give her a wash, so it was probably that Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: