Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Heater core huh?

I've done a few of them now, both '99-2000 and '01-'03. Not hard at all. I've always evacuated the A.C. to be able to remove the whole assembly. Be sure to loosen or remove the A pillar trim for the dash cover to clear other wise you'll brake the lower trim from dash. once the whole assembly is out, you can unfasten the clips and blow it clear and clean of trash and what not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Wow, it's been a while since I updated this thread. Well, I replaced the heater core, which was mostly uneventful. The van's been running great and has been on several camping trips with our local van group. I think I promised to post a pic of my updated dash setup a while back, so here goes:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That pod below the dash is a re-purposed rear heater vent cover.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Can you elaborate a bit on what's in the dash photo?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

A lot going on there Casey. Looks a little like a cockpit... Laughing

I think the primary think the OP was alluding to was the Double DIN radio.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

The switch in the upper left is for toggling between the radio being tied to the starting battery via the ignition switch, or the house battery. The switch to the right is for the aftermarket seat heaters that replaced my non-functioning factory units. The next row down has a rotary switch for the front aux. driving lights and rear aux. backup lights. The next switch is a placeholder for the switch to toggle the video feed on independent of the reverse switch. The next switch is to toggle between a front and rear camera--this hasn't been completed yet. And lastly, the switch in the pod is for the battery gauges. Not shown is a switch in the upper console for the display screen for the aux. heater, which ridiculously has no factory means of shutting itself off. Then another switch just above the driver's headrest to turn on a light up in the poptop.

I love running wires.

y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I always like the look of moving the hazard switch for a temp gauge.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Funny thing about that little project is that when I was in the middle, I decided to try and plug an Audi hazard switch in there because it was from appearances exactly the same, but it wasn't. Smoke came boiling out from behind the dash. It was a fiasco. I had to dig deep into the dash to free up the harness and re-insulate all the burnt wires. nuts. Not doing that again.

y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

ESPN button tells you that it’s already raining.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I added a GMRS radio, so we could converse with fellow van travelers while caravanning.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I'm gonna leave this here to give you an idea of where this thing is heading

...and yes, it's exactly what you think it is. LWB --> SWB

y u rune klassik?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Very interesting! Do keep us posted please! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Interesting conversion. Any updates?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I suggest ditching the original galley equipment and the medicine cabinet/divider to open things up, as I did. Of course, I was working with a LWB EVC, so things were easier for me. I look forward to your updates.

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks for that pic. I'm intrigued with the idea of raising the sink and stove a little higher. I need to maximize the use of all the vertical cabinetry, since the SWB interior footprint is smaller than a LWB or a Vanagon.

My wife is camping in it this week, so I had to stop work on the EVC interior and reinstall the Weekender bits. But once she returns, I get to uninstall the Weekender bits and start work on the EVC interior again.

The rear seat is going to be interesting. I want the seat base to sit stationary, rather than sliding as a unit. The idea is to recreate the Vanagon rock n' roll type seat base with permanent storage underneath, accessible from above. The passenger side rear wheel well kinda gets in the way of making this configuration a direct copy of the Vanagon, so I'm having to do some real thinking; not my strong suit.

I'll post up when I make some progress.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I'm switching back to this thread to avoid mucking up kourt's informative thread about his galley remake.

I'm currently settling on how to locate the galley cabinets in a SWB van. Apparently the EVC cabinet sits about 9" back from the stepped platform the seat base rests upon, so I'm using that as a baseline measurement. This means I'll need to trim about 6" from the rear aluminum frame--obviously the plastic rear section on the EVC won't fit, and I don't have that part anyway.

I'm going for a hybrid of the EVC and Westfalia SWB interiors, so there will be a headache cabinet bridging between the driver and passenger sides, and the water tank cabinet will be located on the passenger side. As I mentioned earlier, the SWB interior area is pretty cramped with the lower bed deployed, so I'm trying to maximize storage space up off the floor so we can move around without tripping over stuff. This has been an issue even when we sleep up top. Without cabinets, everything is spilled out on the lower seat/bed and floor.

I'm trying to settle on a water tank size and volume Goldilocks option. 20 gallons is optimal for volume, but dimensional size seems to favor somewhere between 10 and 15 gallons.

Since my wife is all in on this project, I'm also fitting a glovebox from an earlier pre-airbag model, but it's not entirely clear how these are fitted, and I'm obviously still missing the trim piece to the right of the glovebox.

Does anyone have pics of how these are installed or have access to that trim piece?

y u rune klassik?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm currently settling on how to locate the galley cabinets in a SWB van. Apparently the EVC cabinet sits about 9" back from the stepped platform the seat base rests upon, so I'm using that as a baseline measurement. This means I'll need to trim about 6" from the rear aluminum frame--obviously the plastic rear section on the EVC won't fit, and I don't have that part anyway.

The reasons for the 9" space between the forward galley bulkhead and the front seat pedestal step are to accommodate the spinning driver seat and to provide space for table storage.

You could easily justify moving the entire galley forward a few inches if you saw a need to do that.

Personally, I think the EVC table storage system is clumsy, noisy, and prone to being a place where dirt collects. I'm sure you saw how I changed the table storage in my thread.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm intrigued with the idea of raising the sink and stove a little higher. I need to maximize the use of all the vertical cabinetry, since the SWB interior footprint is smaller than a LWB or a Vanagon.

Raising the galley was important to ergonomics of dishwashing and cooking. I hate stooping, and I'm 6 feet tall. I do most of the cooking, and frankly, most of the cleaning. My wife washes the dishes after meals and she's 5'7". I wanted to be able to enjoy working on an omelette without hurting my back. Raising the galley also let me put the sink, and its drain, directly above the refrigerator. The sink config in the EVC is a bit silly, in that it is very aft oriented. Before I threw the entire OEM EVC sink out, I considered pulling it and the stove out and reversing them--in other words, rotating the whole thing 180 degrees. I think it would have worked. That would get the sink out of the bed floorspace.

Last thing: the raised galley meant that I could raise the fridge (for better access and slightly less stooping) and that meant I could put a hidden storage cabinet under the fridge.

I'm enjoying your build.

kourt

almond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I'm trying to settle on a water tank size and volume Goldilocks option. 20 gallons is optimal for volume, but dimensional size seems to favor somewhere between 10 and 15 gallons.

For both tanks? The greywater one could be smaller as you'd consume some of it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Unless I come across a Winnebago grey water tank, I'm going tankless in that dept. I just pulled the trigger on a 15 gallon tank, KUS gauge, cheap Chinese level sender and a marine access port. I want to plumb a sprayer hose similar to the EVC, with an ability to switch between the sink and sprayer. That hardware seems to be RV specific, as the regular big box stores don't carry what I was trying to find.

I opted for a German in tank water pump, which I believe is the same as the Vanagon Westfalias, but I'm wondering if the flow rate is enough to pump through a filter and still have decent flow for the sink. Anyone here running a filter?

y u rune klassik?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I had a 10" filter on my Vanagon and also have one on my EVC.

If you use a 0.5 micron carbon filter, it will be quite slow.

Switching to a 1.0 micron carbon filter makes the filtration hardly noticeable, with a minor sacrifice to actual filtration. This is what I'm doing in the EVC. I'm mostly filtering for taste.

My EVC has the filter permanently installed in front of the galley sink. There is a "T" before the filter that allows the water to go to the EVC spray port I installed on the driver side.

Sprayport: you can read about my old Vanagon sprayport project here.

The Shurflo pump marketed to replace the original EVC water pump is an external pump that has several advantages over the Westfalia pump. It can act as a switched pump or a demand pump--meaning you can turn it on manually and it will stop pumping when system pressures reach 30PSI. Then, when you squeeze the handle of your spray nozzle while standing outside your van (taking a shower), the pump turns on and runs until you stop squeezing the spray nozzle. Assuming your system has no leaks and can withstand 30PSI, this is an excellent ergonomic for showering.

The Shurflo can also run dry for two minutes without damage.

I really like this pump, but it is noisy--much noisier than the Vanagon immersion pump style. To give credit, the flow rate of the Comet VIP-PLUS immersion pump is pretty impressive--20 L/minute--and it's very quiet.

I made a drawing of my current EVC system below.

kourt

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I salvaged a Multi-Pure MP750SB filter from a kitchen remodel I did a few years ago. It seems like a quality and quite expensive unit, but I can only find .5 micron filters. I'm guessing I might need to get something else to use as a filter.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: