Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

My PDLs are really screwy, so it appears that I'll need to replace one or more actuators. The slider lock isn't working at all. On my Vanagon, I swapped out all of the factory actuators with the A1 Electrics MES versions, and have been really happy with them for over a decade. I think I'll do the same with these EV units. http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

My hatch somehow triggers the front domelight, but I can't figure out where the switch resides. Any help?

I can't believe how much power this VR6 produces in a VW van. I truly love driving this beast.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

You may find that a thorough cleaning of the internals on the lock actuators is all that's necessary.

Yes, the VR is a pretty solid engine. Like any other VW van engine it isn't without it's quirks...
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Describe what "screwy" means. There are a few different issues and solutions. This will narrow it down.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

When I try to lock the doors with the key fob, it will cycle the knobs down, and then they immediately pop right back up. It was working intermittently when we bought the van. I can lock the two front and hatch with the key, if used in the driver door. I tested continuity in the slider triple contact unit, but found that it was only working on the ground terminal. I've been soaking it in white vinegar and it will now allow partial continuity in the other two terminals.

I just installed new speakers in the front doors and rear seating area. I'm right in the middle of installing my Vanagon stereo in there right now.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Ok, after tinkering with the slider triple contact unit, I was able to get the that actuator to function correctly. The only way I can consistently get the PDLs to function is by using the key in the driver door. If I attempt to use the key in the passenger door or the fob, it just cycles down and back up. I strongly suspect that the passenger master has issues. I'll pull the panel and disassemble to investigate further.

I was able to fit aftermarket Blaupunkt speakers in the rear by using my Dremel to file a slot in the top and bottom of the speaker grill retainer, and then slipping the screw nut into the slot. Works great to hold the speakers in place, while allowing the grill to still snap in place.

y u rune klassik?
Zeddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

"I strongly suspect that the passenger master has issues. I'll pull the panel and disassemble to investigate further. "

One consideration is: can one press the passenger button down and lock all the doors when the passenger door is open? If so, can accidentally lock keys in car. Design oversight flaw.
The red wire perhaps hasn't been cut yet by a previous owner.

If you have the passenger panel off, you may wish to turn the passenger master acutator into a slave actuator by cutting the red wire. I found it helpful just to have one less gremlin to deal with when fixing the PDLs.

Details here:
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=46
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

A few things.
1. Pull the boots back on both front doors and check the wiring. These vans are getting to the age where the wiring is starting to crack.
2. Pull the electrical contact pin on the front doors and sliding door. Make sure both contacts and wires are working properly (not broke). One wire is for the light and the other is for the locking system (tell the system the door is closed).
3. Check and make sure it's easy to operate the drivers and passenger door lock with the key. Some EV's have had a rocker that connects the lock knob to the lock, gets rusty at the pin and the lock becomes difficult to operate (too much resistance). Too much resistance feels like you might be breaking the key off in the lock when you turn it. With too much resistance, that one door will stay in the up or down position because the actuator is not strong enough to operate it. Then the other doors will just cycle and never do what you want them to do.

Only other issues I've seen is the sliding door actuator fails.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

We took our first family road trip in the EV today. Two hours each way to Poulsbo and back. My first impression is "why did we wait so long to buy one of these?" It was an absolute pleasure to drive, and the kids loved all the space to move about during the trip.

The kids were irritated with the non-functioning cupholders (still waiting for BD to deliver), and none of the three rear power ports had 12v, so their iPhones weren't topped up. Also, the family has become accustomed to concert quality sound in our Audi Bose system, so I now have to invest in an amp and subwoofer to make up for the deficiencies of the audio bits I just installed.

There are some wind noise issues I'd like to address, as well as a super annoying chirping squeak that I think is coming from the slider mechanism. The engine has more than enough power on tap, but sometimes the trans seems to languish in a higher gear, and then randomly decides to downshift and unleash the Kraken. The drivetrain seems to have a mind of its own at unpredictable moments. The 3-4 shift will sometimes flare.

I freakin' love this van.

y u rune klassik?
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I might be joining the T4 club too? I just found a van on my dog walk. I think I will buy it. Here is a source for arm rest kits. I need three fixed myself.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322139716402?clk_rvr_id=1092207360348&rmvSB=true
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

There's a reason why people put different engines in Vanagons. I rebuilt tons of those engines back when they were still making them. It was a miracle if you could get 80K out of them before the engine was burning oil, leaking oil and down on power. Then when they went to water cooled, it was like VW forgot how to make cylinder heads. It was like a requirement for them to start leaking coolant early on. Top all of that off with them being dog slow (the diesel Vanagon has to be the all time slowest vehicle I have ever driven) and pretty darn expensive at the time. Why VW put that engine in the Syncro Camper is beyond me. That was just asking for trouble.

I remember when my dad put that 911 engine in his 68 bus back in the late 70's, he used to toy with every Vanagon out there. He'd just wait until they were giving up the ghost on a steep hill, then go in the left lane and blast past them (you could peg the 90mph speedo without a problem). It was pretty depressing when a 15-20 year old bus was blowing past your brand new Vanagon. It was even faster than those 5 cylinder Eurovans.

Top it off, the 911 engine makes plenty of heat. Within 5 minutes it's warm inside and within 10, it'll burn you right out of it (as opposed to the hour it took to get heat before). First time we hooked up the heater and revved up the engine, it blew out all of the dirt, dead bugs, dead spiders and whatever else that was laying in that long stove pipe that runs up the center.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

BavarianWrench wrote:
I might be joining the T4 club too? I just found a van on my dog walk. I think I will buy it. Here is a source for arm rest kits. I need three fixed myself.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322139716402?clk_rvr_id=1092207360348&rmvSB=true

You can buy them here in the US:
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23365
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

While I've never been a fan of the Vanagon engines we got here in the US, they didn't give me any troubles. What I found most annoying about them though, was the short gearing they required to move the vehicle. I simply cannot stand listening to an engine thrashing away at 4000rpms for long periods of time while cruising along at 70mph. The EV seems to run between 2900 and 3200rpms @70, which is perfectly acceptable. My goal for the TDI swap in my Vanagon is to essentially recreate a similar RPM to MPH ratio, via more torque, taller gearing and taller tires.

Is there any reason why an early EV rear hatch can't be installed on a late model? My hatch has some damage that looks to be tough to pound out (close to the rear window), so I'm thinking that replacement might be an easier solution.

Also, my fuse panel circuit positions don't correspond in the least to the diagrams in the owners manual. I'm trying to track down the fuse for the rear power ports, but have no idea what circuits correspond with each fuse.

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

For the rear power ports, you need to go look at the fuse panel, then turn your head 180 degrees to the base of the seat, open the black panel and the fuses are there.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks! That did the trick.

y u rune klassik?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Quote:
I simply cannot stand listening to an engine thrashing away at 4000rpms for long periods of time while cruising along at 70mph. The EV seems to run between 2900 and 3200rpms @70, which is perfectly acceptable.
You should feel what it's like when you stick a set of cams in it and running from 70-90 mph. That 24V VR6 is then doing what it's supposed to do.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Is there any reason why an early EV rear hatch can't be installed on a late model? My hatch has some damage that looks to be tough to pound out (close to the rear window), so I'm thinking that replacement might be an easier solution.

'93-03 shared the same hatch. The inside panel will be slightly different but externally they will be identical.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks! I was looking at pics of an early model rear hatch, and saw this small black rectangle in the middle that I can't quite make out. Is that a latch release? If so, I definitely want that on mine, even if I don't replace the hatch. It seems dangerous not to have a latch release from the inside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Any gotchas I need to be aware of as I tackle the poptop tent R&R? I watched a GoWesty video for a Vanagon last night, and near as I can tell it's pretty much the same procedure as the EV. How heavy is the poptop itself?

y u rune klassik?
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I replaced the canvas on my pop top "03 Weekender this summer. Bought the 3 window canvas model through Bus Depot.

I found the pop top very heavy. Since the canvas has to be screwed into the top and bottom, I decided to remove the top and flip it over to do the top screw in.

Since I was working in a garage with ibeam supports, I built a hoist rig (a cross beam of 2x4s and a pulley) to lift the top. Had to tie the rope to the tow hook on my other car to get enough power to lift the top. Then drove the van out from under the suspended top, lowered it, flipped it over to work on the top.

Hardest part was getting the top aligned correctly to the body when reinstalling. It's trickier than it might first seem since there is some leeway from front to back and side to side. I had trouble getting the metal pin near the lock to fit the opening in the body when I pulled the top down. Had to do a lot of repositioning.

Also, compressing the tension rods is some work. There are youtube videos that are very helpful. Use a ratcheting strap to compress it. Has a lot of pressure on it, so be careful- and careful not to bend it.

It can be done, but set aside enough time. It took me a good two days to get it right, but I was working alone.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Thanks! I was looking at pics of an early model rear hatch, and saw this small black rectangle in the middle that I can't quite make out. Is that a latch release? If so, I definitely want that on mine, even if I don't replace the hatch. It seems dangerous not to have a latch release from the inside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No, that is for a handle. It's a looped piece of rubber/vinyl for pulling the door shut from the inside. I'm not sure why they go missing but I've seen several missing and my last EV was missing it too when I got it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: