Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van_Specialties
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

We have done a few of these upgrades now and wanted to share with your group. We replaced the lead acid battery with a LIP04 battery to double the capacity. with the new technology of battery we are able to support a 12v only refrigerator by Truck fridge or Indel B. with the additional space left in the cabinet we installed a little pantry. I think I have seen others do this upgrade as well. The lithium battery requires a DC to DC charger to regulate amperage and boost voltage to the charging voltage of the lithium battery. We also replaced the old converter charger under the hot water heater with a charger with the correct lithium profile.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

That should work. I just installed 300Ah of Lithium batteries in my RV and a DC-DC Charger. It works quite well. I got a 4000W inverter along with 800W of solar. Plus the inverter is the solar charger and battery charger. So I can run the fridge most of the time without using propane.

With the options today, the capacity you can get is pretty great for boondocking as opposed to the old days.
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

Good job, V.S.! Just wondering how much would it cost for a project like this for a 2002 EVC....We live nearby in SW PDX.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

I recently swapped out my two 80ah AGM batteries for two 100ah lithium units and what looks like the same DC to DC charger. So far I've been happy with the upgrade.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
TalonDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

I didn't bother to do any homework and just replaced an ancient battery on my '92 EVC (edit, Westfalia) with a 100AH LiPo, Tons of problems (long story) but is anyone willing to go into detail about how to rig up this DC-DC charger?
Thanks

Last edited by TalonDriver on Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

1992 Eurovan Camper by Winnebago or a 1992 Westfalia model? Oh I see your signature now Westfalia model. That's different from what I just did on the EVC, but basically you remove the old charge controlling system whatever it is and replace it with the DC to DC charger. On the EVC for me, that meant removing the solenoid-type isolator, removing the magntek charger, and wiring the dc-to-dc in using the existing wiring. This eliminates the shore power, though- have to figure out a different answer for that.

If this was an EVC, I could be more specific but your set-up is different.

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
TalonDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

oops, sorry, Westfalia, I'll edit

(Which brings up another question for me, how deep do the differences between the Westy and Winnebago go?)
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

TalonDriver wrote:
oops, sorry, Westfalia, I'll edit

(Which brings up another question for me, how deep do the differences between the Westy and Winnebago go?)

TalonDriver - is your van the Eurovan CV from Canada or the California from Europe? There are some pretty big electrical differences between the two setups.

The "EVC" abbreviation is typically reserved for the "Eurovan Camper" models (the Winnibago converted model had that name specifically).
CloudClap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lithium battery and refrigerator upgrade Reply with quote

Hi Your set-up looks quite nice. I have a '95 EVC. The AC/DC inverter has gone out. I plan on upgrading to a LiFePO4 house battery with a DC/DC charger from the alternator. At the same time I may update the fridge too. 1) what make and model of fridge did you end up going with. 2) Did you replace the AC/DC inverter too? If so what did you go with?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: