Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas smell in the cabin, especially when coasting or sitting.
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vndlfsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Gas smell in the cabin, especially when coasting or sitting. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have greatly appreciated all of the expertise shared on my many questions regarding my 1997 EVC.

Among the many little issues I’ve had since purchasing it last fall has been the fact that the gas tank won’t fill without the pump shutting off 1 million times. I bought an extra long funnel and over the winter I used it to fill the tank very carefully, never to fall. I understanding is that would help the canister dry out.

Last week I decided to try without the funnel and it worked beautifully, The pump shut off automatically and of course I did not top it off.

Over the winter I also replaced the N 80 purge valve under the hood which was a pretty simple swap.

I’ve also had a brand new exhaust and catalytic converter installed.

The van runs exceedingly well, I have not noticed any change in performance.

I am now noticing a fresh gas smell in the cabin, especially when the engine is running and I’m sitting still or if coasting towards the stoplight or stop sign.

It is pretty pungent, and it definitely is gas and not exhaust.

On another forum noticed with interest underneath the driver seat there is access to the gas tank and that through normal wear and tear in time, seals and or hoses can deteriorate.

Any expertise out there to share?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell in the cabin, especially when coasting or sitting. Reply with quote

I believe the tank access "hatch" is behind the parking brake over toward the center of the aisle between the seats. Pull up the carpet and remove the screws to see if the fuel gauge sending unit is leaking.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: