Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'92 EVC Westfalia coach battery mod
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TalonDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: '92 EVC Westfalia coach battery mod Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm looking for someone to hold my hand and tell me:
Buy such and such DC-DC converter and install it HERE
Remove such and such relay that is under XXX
Upgauge the cable from XXX to XXX with YYY size
Install a ZZZ while you're at it to be able to add PV in the future.

I will pay if that is what it takes!!
Thanks,
this is for the Westfalia camper that has the coach battery in the rear left hand lower compartment. Both batteries have multiple wires/cables attached. I have replaced the original LA battery with a 100AH LiPo.
Cheers
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: '92 EVC Westfalia coach battery mod Reply with quote

I upgraded the auxiliary power system in my 1992 Eurovan CV (the Canadian full camper by Westfalia) by installing two 92 Ah AGM deep cycle batteries (so roughly the same usable capacity of your one 100 Ah lithium), replacing the OEM battery charger, adding a battery monitor, and adding a pluggable portable 100 watt solar panel.

This is a relatively straightforward process with minimal rewiring required and retains the functionality of the onboard battery gauge that's mounted on the ceiling above the dashboard.

I decided not to install lithium batteries because: 1 - the high cost of lithium batteries 2 - the need to use a DC to DC charger to properly charge lithium batteries (although this depends on brand and specific model of batteries and DC to DC charger) 3 - the need to run large-gauge cabling from the vehicle battery to the DC to DC charger and on to the auxiliary batteries 4 - the need to insure compatibility between the charger and the batteries which limits choice of batteries and charger. 5 - my system is roughly the capacity of your 100 Ah lithium with none of the hassles (heavy gauge cable and installation) or nearly as much cost as your planned project.

I was willing to accept that I will have less ampere hour capacity with an AGM system then I could have had with lithium, since I could fit about 200 Ah of lithium in the same space, but the trade off in cost to power is acceptable. I still have plenty of capacity to run what I need (lights, charging devices, fridge, etc.) and can keep the system recharged using solar. Also, I am very judicious in how I use the auxiliary power to extend my off the grid camping time.

Just to clarify, you have a Eurovan CV, like mine, not a EVC, which is a Winnebago conversion of a VW T4. Other than the VW stuff, these conversions are quite different. The scarcity in the USA of the Eurovan CVs, which were never imported or sold in the USA, just Canada in North America, will make it harder for you to get local assistance with the camper stuff.

However, there is an active bunch of CV owners on this forum and others willing to help where they can. You can contact me by private message and we can communicate that way, exchange emails, or talk on the phone.

I hope you get some camping in this season with your CV.

1992 Eurovan CV - The Canadian full camper by Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: