Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust options camper special engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Great point, thanks!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

I run a VS exhaust on my T1 2175. I understand it's not a T4 but it's still a high performance ACVW engine. I feel the over tone of the exhaust is great. Good and throty when running through the gears but nice and quite (for an after market exhaust) at cruising speed. It deffently lets the lookers know you got an engine under the lid, that's for sure. Smile
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Boy, it's a good thing Jake isn't on these forums anymore like he was..
Y'all would be getting read the riot act for upsetting the combo like that! Razz

IMHO, the exhaust is a very important part of the type 4 engine.
It's a completely different design than the type 1, and the exhaust plays a more crucial role.

Because the Camper Special combo has been worked out carefully for use with a good exhaust,
I would be very reluctant to put a non-collector, non-extractor 'can' type muffler on the back of a Camper Special.

Why spend all that money a dual-pattern cam and big valve heads, then choke the exhaust up on the way out?
You'll stack the heat up back inside the motor.. Just like stock.

I know that the VST is the preferred favorite of the Samba bay Bus Forum.
It's shiny, and has tidy welds, and sounds throaty, I get it,
BUT,
It's not a collector/header/tuned/extractor exhaust, people.
NOT a performance exhaust, no matter how cool it looks..!

You cannot compare it to the CSP Python, Turbo Thomas, Tangerine, T-Bird, or even the T-Bird Empi copies.

Jake spent more time creating a performance build for bus (the CS combo) than anyone else in history.
He indicated that the header was necessary for the combo to work right,
And after a bunch of testing, the T-Bird design had proven itself nearly as good as any, so he sells it in his store.

If you want to try and get the best quality T-Bird, dig a little and find an OG one, or the old S&S version.
After that, T-bird got bought by Pertronix, and made it under license.
Or get a Stainless Empi one..
The Empi POS one will likely need a lot of work to get right, unfortunately;
Make sure you fit it before coating.

I go over a lengthy comparison between the Pertronix T-Bird and Empi copies at the end of my Cheap Junk build FWIW.. My ongoing forever prattling ramble always puts everyone to sleep by then anyways..

If you want quiet, find a better muffler for your T-Bird.

But, please, let's not confuse the VST with a tuned exhaust.
It's not.

/rant

What’s That Noise?!?
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

is there another option besides the VS one and two pipe exhausts that is the straight, stock setup where the muffler mounts right on the heater boxes? my 1800 had a leistritz (sp?), i'd like to get another one like that. i'll shell out for the VS if i have to, just wondering if there was anything other options...
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

I have a lot of experience with exhausts and I couldn't agree more with Clatter. I have found that a 't-bird' style merge collector with my home made 2.25" muffler is absolutely the most power-adding exhaust, though loud. These ACVW engines love to breath, they have more power and run much cooler when they do. The merge helps them breath, and an unrestricted, large output also helps. The EMPI muffler is too restrictive to be used on a powerful engine.

Here is my current set up:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

A little OT, but what is the timing set at on your CS 2.0

I am assuming that 7.5 BTDC is not necessarily correct

Just a regular guy
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Isn't it special that Jake Raby designed an exhaust system for his CS and no one bought one. Contact Tiger at Tangerine Racing. He still has the jigs. WTF were you guys thinking buying a an extremely well thought out combination and over looking extended exhaust duration on the cam? And now the only choice is the Chinese shit exhaust? Boy do I feel sorry for all of you that spent -ten grand on an engine and can't afford to give it the 2000 dollar Python treatment. Few people even understand the valve differences? When the dust settles....there will be 1 or 2 guys that even understand how to get the heat out of their heads....Jake understood this aloooong time ago. And he decided he was done with morons that could not understand how to alleviate heat from the type 4 heads. I for one am glad I learned as much as I did from him.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Yeah, I took the VS back off...mainly because it's just too damn loud inside the vehicle that I can't even hear my kids in the back seat.

My question is: what would be the quietest extractor type exhaust you can think of for these engines, if any of them could be considered quiet? I had the Extractor and the muffler was such crap that a hole blew in it on a road trip. I'm monitoring all the engine vitals with a variety of gauges and it was just a normal condition when the muffler gave up the ghost.

Looking forward to your recommendations...in the meantime I'm back to the stock muffler and my VS is for sale, complete with an oxygen sensor already installed.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Isn't it special that Jake Raby designed an exhaust system for his CS and no one bought one. Contact Tiger at Tangerine Racing. He still has the jigs. WTF were you guys thinking buying a an extremely well thought out combination and over looking extended exhaust duration on the cam? And now the only choice is the Chinese shit exhaust? Boy do I feel sorry for all of you that spent -ten grand on an engine and can't afford to give it the 2000 dollar Python treatment. Few people even understand the valve differences? When the dust settles....there will be 1 or 2 guys that even understand how to get the heat out of their heads....Jake understood this aloooong time ago. And he decided he was done with morons that could not understand how to alleviate heat from the type 4 heads. I for one am glad I learned as much as I did from him.
...mic drop...
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Raby isn't much on the Pinzgauer forums much any more either...

His bully pulpit is kind of exhausting. Asking people to post their questions and information only on the Aircooledtechnology forums, then over-moderating and later deleting all that info is not the best way to build your fan based or create long term legitimacy. Interesting to see that there are some who still view his strong opinions as gospel.

My bus is a 78 and the exhaust is converted to 74 style HE's with the Ernst muffler. It is ceramic coated and has a stock sound. I have not run it with a different muffler, so can't comment on that.

Just a regular guy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

So where are all the links to these mufflers? Or we just going to rant and rave?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Boy, it's a good thing Jake isn't on these forums anymore like he was..
Y'all would be getting read the riot act for upsetting the combo like that! Razz

IMHO, the exhaust is a very important part of the type 4 engine.
It's a completely different design than the type 1, and the exhaust plays a more crucial role.

Because the Camper Special combo has been worked out carefully for use with a good exhaust,
I would be very reluctant to put a non-collector, non-extractor 'can' type muffler on the back of a Camper Special.

Why spend all that money a dual-pattern cam and big valve heads, then choke the exhaust up on the way out?
You'll stack the heat up back inside the motor.. Just like stock.

I know that the VST is the preferred favorite of the Samba bay Bus Forum.
It's shiny, and has tidy welds, and sounds throaty, I get it,
BUT,
It's not a collector/header/tuned/extractor exhaust, people.
NOT a performance exhaust, no matter how cool it looks..!

You cannot compare it to the CSP Python, Turbo Thomas, Tangerine, T-Bird, or even the T-Bird Empi copies.

Jake spent more time creating a performance build for bus (the CS combo) than anyone else in history.
He indicated that the header was necessary for the combo to work right,
And after a bunch of testing, the T-Bird design had proven itself nearly as good as any, so he sells it in his store.

If you want to try and get the best quality T-Bird, dig a little and find an OG one, or the old S&S version.
After that, T-bird got bought by Pertronix, and made it under license.
Or get a Stainless Empi one..
The Empi POS one will likely need a lot of work to get right, unfortunately;
Make sure you fit it before coating.

I go over a lengthy comparison between the Pertronix T-Bird and Empi copies at the end of my Cheap Junk build FWIW.. My ongoing forever prattling ramble always puts everyone to sleep by then anyways..

If you want quiet, find a better muffler for your T-Bird.

But, please, let's not confuse the VST with a tuned exhaust.
It's not.

/rant

My S&S 4-1 has served me well since ~1988...

71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Is that what this is?

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/SS-Header-and-QP-Muffler-72-74-80-83-Type-4-p/3771.htm

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Is that what this is?

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/SS-Header-and-QP-Muffler-72-74-80-83-Type-4-p/3771.htm

yes!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Is that what this is?

yes!

What benifits if any will this have over stock and the CS? This is a better flowing tuned exhaust - then what is the stock one?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Is that what this is?

yes!

What benifits if any will this have over stock and the CS? This is a better flowing tuned exhaust - then what is the stock one?

Less restrictive...allowing for better breathing on the exhaust side. The only problem is stainless is prone to cracking over time.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Is that what this is?

yes!

Less restrictive...allowing for better breathing on the exhaust side. The only problem is stainless is prone to cracking over time.

Most of the benefits of an equal length exhaust are going to show up at rpms above 3500 rpm. How hard do you intend to run your engine?
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Can't let this thread die Wink

OK, so I'm looking at the CSP Python...it looks great...but I don't want to drop that much cash without a good idea of the sound. I've already had the Vintage Speed stainless muffler with the dual outlets (only one available at the time I bought it...and I know it's not a header now). It was too loud for long trips. I had the EMPI header and single quiet pack muffler, and it was too loud for me as well. I'm running the stock muffler now and though it just did fine on a 1,700 mile roadtrip in the southeast last week, and was pleasant for the family, I'd welcome something that let the engine breathe a little more but wasn't super loud (and by that, not necessarily sound at the tailpipe but rather resonating sound through the vehicle at highway speeds).

So, who's running the Python with a CS engine who might care to post video/sound files somewhere and send a link or two?

I don't have a problem dropping the needed cash on a quality exhaust to complement my CS. I'm open to recommendations, but my consideration factors are:

- quality, and ideally stainless (of an appropriate sheet thickness)
- lets the engine breathe and in the right way (i.e. header)
- accommodation for an oxygen sensor (though I can always weld in a bung)
- allows for the use of stock heater boxes
- as quiet as possible

Thoughts? And if the Python is the best off-the-shelf option, recommendations on a US supplier (most only seem to have the T4-in-a-Bug version, or the full header eliminating the heater boxes)?

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

What's wrong with the SS one at AirCooled.net?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
udidwht wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Is that what this is?

yes!

Most of the benefits of an equal length exhaust are going to show up at rpms above 3500 rpm. How hard do you intend to run your engine?

Not difficult to do on a bus going down the highway.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: