Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

So as I briefly mentioned before, the engine was running real strong! But it was idling very high. Like really loud. I figured the carbs just weren't adjusted appropriately. I bought one of those Carburetor Synchronizers. Like most of the special tools I've in the build thread, this was the first time I've used one of these. Not entirely 100% sure I did it right, but engine seems to be running a whole lot better. Both Carbs are drawing about the same amount of air into the intakes and is now running way smoother/quieter.

Now onto working on the electrical!!!

I got the PDF from the technical section and saved onto my ipad. Fancy guy over here....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SIKE! I actually found it to be way easier to print these diagrams out so I could write/highlight stuff on it as I went

Here's what the fusebox looked like before I took it apart. Really ugly looking

As I was cleaning up the driverside door panel pockets, I found the fusebox cover. not sure if it's the original one, but way better to have than nothing at all!

Fits like a glove

I wanted to dunk this entire unit into the some kind of cleaner (was thinking of using the same bucket I used for cleaning the Carburetors when I had them disassembled, I think think that would have eaten away at the plastic). I ended up just cleaning this with a toothbrush/scrub and cleaned off the terminals so it makes a good solid connection

Last edited by jeremydoc on Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Disassembly. but first, a million pics of everything so I knew how to put them back afterwards

behind the Fuel Gauge/turn signal/warning lights and stuff

All the gauges removed from the dash

Dimmer Relay

Wipers

Headlights

Found out this wasn't original to the car... at least for this year

It actually fell apart as I was unplugging stuff, so I used a couple zipties to hold it together

Emergency flasher/turn signal relay

Then I found out why PO used the above, because the original Flasher Relay was fried

I wanted the wiring to be as original as possible, so I did away with that unit that the PO installed and got this replacement flasher relay

Disassembled the steering column and found some mickey mouse repairs in the past.

Also discovered why the turn signal wasn't clicking correctly. one of the pins were busted and the spring was just floating around freely

Then i learned that there's a difference between SWF and K-Brand columns. and that the turn signals needed to match. So the hunt begins!

Close up shot of the headlight switch so I remembered how to put it back

here's everything i've removed so far

I found this emergency switch, but soon realized this wouldn't work for my system. I believe this P/N is for a bug, but I'm not 100% sure

I found somebody getting rid of their old stereo. Got it for next to nothing. Don't know if it works or not, but better having at least something
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Dashboard and glove box removed. Time to clean that up and see what lied beneath

Kinda gross, but not as much as i'd thought

Original speaker was still here, but in pretty bad shape. makes me wonder if this is the first time this dash has ever been removed

pretty busted, but looks like it may be the original

did a quick cleaning job on the dash. Made it 100 times better looking

hosed down the top and bottom side fo the dash, being careful not to damage it any further

I really want to eventually replace the dashboard, but the only repops I've seen are the newer model ones with the different style speaker holes. I think those are 1970 and up?

jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

So I was actually able to find the correct P/N for the Emergency Switch.

Started to wire things back together following the diagram. My plan was to wire all the components on the ground first to make sure everything was working before I shoved everything back under the dash....At the time, I thought this was a good idea....

Things started getting pretty confusing really quick so I was forced to start labelling what I had in hand

Everything was all plugged in, but turn signals/emergency switch still wasn't working.... but then I found out that the flasher relay needed to be grounded, so I connected a cable from it to the body temporarily.

Once I realized I had to connect a whole bunch of parts to a ground, I got everything working.. super happy moment! literally EVERYTHING was working..... now here's my smartest move ever. As everything was still connected, i thought I could just shove everything back under the dash, even with the battery still plugged in. and guess what happened... as I was shoving them back in, I must have shorted a few things because now nothing worked. only the ignition was okay working condition. checked all my fuses, nothing was popped.

This is why i stopped working on this project for a few months. I was really frustrated because of all that hard work, I messed everything up as soon as I completed it. months and month later, I bought a new flasher relay and dimmer relay, plugged those guys in and everything started working again! Not a lot of pictures during that time, but I got these 2 pics with the column/steering wheel installed. I also put in my starter button

jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

I'm thinking about maybe starting to record some of this build process. Taking pictures and telling a story every time is quite time consuming.

Here's the first video I made. When I installed the new Flasher Relay and Dimmer Relay. I bought a new Turn Signal Switch also, so I introduced it in this one and installing it on the next video

Link
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Second Video. Tested and installed the new Turn Signal Switch. then worked on installing the steering wheel as well as wiring up the horn. Horn button was kind of tricky because the contact plate was super corroded. But it works now!

Link
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Third Video. Found out the Driver Side axle was leaking so I replaced the oil seals. I had already previously installed brand new oil seal kits on both driver and passenger sides, somewhere around Page 6 of this thread. Passenger side held up nicely, but driver side started leaking, even though so far, I've only driven this car like 20 miles... I suspected one of the o-rings got pinched

Link
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

I just watched your video the other day. You're doing a good job on a difficult VW. I`m on my third Fastback at the moment and it`s a 67 also. And someone has swapped out the flasher like yours. I had a 66 Bug with the same issue, and I went back to original on it too. But replaced the whole harness at the same time. Which I don`t want to do on this car. So hopefully it will go well.
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Great work !

I had my steering column disassembled a few months ago to replace the key switch. I wish Id seen your video first! Great for anyone who has to do that job.

Keep it up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Enjoying your thread, keep at it. Very Happy
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Thanks @Bryan67/@mtbbus/@Big Bill!

I finished filming me adjusting ride height the other day. Just need to do some edits. I'll also need to be replacing all the ball joints/steering damper/tie rod ends, so I'll be filming those as well.

More to come soon!
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Hey folks!!!

Haven't really been keeping up with this thread. Instead, been working on my YouTube channel hehe.I'll link my videos on here every other day or something so to not bombard you guys with videos. Or if you want to binge my playlist, feel free haha

Here's Episode 4 when I adjusted the ride height on the square. Lowered the suspension torsion bars 3 inner splines up front and 2 in the rear. Also had to get smaller tires so I can actually turn without catching the fender haha

Link
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

I really wanted to replace my tie rod ends in this video as well, but I don't think I purchased the right parts. turns out one of the rod ends is supposed to have an angle, which is specific to our type 3's. All 4 of the ones I got, inners and outers, don't have any kind of angle to them. so I ended up just replacing just the upper and lower ball joints on both driver and passenger side. Also replaced the steering damper as well.

Also decided to get the front nose buttoned up as well.

Link
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Man, I haven't updated this build thread in a while. I've moved most of my build documentation over to YouTube. Here's a little teaser of how she sits

Link
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Here's all the videos I've made and uploaded so far. Will continue my build on there, so please feel free to check out my channel!

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Have you tried contacting Herman (Retrovan) in South Africa for one of his dash pads? I've got one and it looks almost identical (minus any cracks) to the original. If he has any still in stock, he ships quickly, and sends a tracking number so you can track it. Very well worth doing.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jeremydoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy's 1967 Squareback Slow Build Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Have you tried contacting Herman (Retrovan) in South Africa for one of his dash pads? I've got one and it looks almost identical (minus any cracks) to the original. If he has any still in stock, he ships quickly, and sends a tracking number so you can track it. Very well worth doing.

oh wow! no, I didn't know about anyone making them. I'll take a look at that. Thanks, Bob!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: