Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identifying engine part function
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

Hi!

I've just pulled my type 4 engine from my -79 baywindow for the first time (having some oil leaks).

I'm wondering if anyone could help me identify a couple of parts and their function?

The first one is a metal pipe that is closed at the top. What is this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The second is a square metal thing that has been cut and has a rusted hole in it.
I'm wondering why it has been cut and what function it has?

Thanks for any help!

/Jonas
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

I believe you have a 914 case with a dipstick in the center.

The canister is an EGR filter. The valve on the plenum is the EGR valve.
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

Hi SGkent, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Should I plug this EGR thing? After reading up on EGR on the ratwell site I'm thinking this:

In current condition the EGR filter is letting more air into the mixture = leaner mix = higher engine temperature

Is this correct?

Also about the 914 dipstick; does this mean I have a porsche engine rather then a vw bus engine?

Thanks
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

My EGR canister is cut off at the end like the one you have. Everyone tells me that I don't need to worry about it. I would like to hear what others respond to your question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

is the link between the carb and valve still in place? IF so then yes it lets in unmetered air. If no then it lets in air only if the valve leaks. Someone may have already put a block off gasket under it.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

If you are not going to run the EGR you can remove it all, from the plenum to the exhaust. It'll free up quite a bit of space too.

Remove the bar between the EGR valve and the plenum.

Unbolt the bar between the tin and EGR valve

Remove the valve from the plenum and make a patch for the hole (or put the parch over the top of the now open EGR valve.

Once you remove the leftover EGR filter, the piece that's on the underside of the engine, cover the new holes in the tin with aluminum tape, or your choice of patch. Mine is a relic of the old EGR filter, that's been filled in and mounted from the top down.

Save or sell all those EGR parts though, less the rusty filter.

As you tidy up the engine and its seals (I'm assuming) you'll want to try to retune the mixture with an exhaust reading, O2 sensor.

Your motor is not a Porsche motor. The dipstick fill is indicative of the 914 and VW type 4 car, but you have a bus oil breather, instead of an oil fill tube. What's at the rear of the engine looking at the fan shroud?

Your heads are not the 3 bolt 914 2.0 heads either.

Pics from my bus for comparison....

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

@SGKent
Since I don't have carbs the EGR valve goes straight to the plenum it seems.

I removed the everything that has to do with the EGR, the valve too.
Now I just have to cut out a steel patch and a gasket to fill the holes.

@aerosurfer
I noticed on one of your pictures (nice patching by the way), that there is a hole in the case which I see you have covered with aluminum foil. Do you know what that hole is for?

Here is a motor view from the fan shroud, any thoughts about what motor this is?

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

Looks like a 2.0L bus engine using a 914 case. What is the engine code on the case? "W", "EA", "GA" or "GC"???

Could be the PO blew a engine and found a good used case or engine and slapped it together.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

Nice... you see how much room you clean up without it **if its not being used**.

The hole in the case is an inspection hole for the flywheel. There is a cap that goes there. Mine broke while it was being rebuilt. I found the top of a Rainbird inground sprinkler fit the hole perfectly with tape to hold... but i had one laying around

From the pictures, it looks like your dipstick is in the normal bus location. so thats a 914 case, but with regular Federal fuel injection on it. You have either 72-74 heater boxes with round exhaust ports or 79 federal boxes with square exhaust portd.

Whats your short term plan for the engine? Looks like you have a bit of cleaning and refreshing to do

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

Yeah, it felt real nice to get rid of that EGR thing, took a lot of space for something not all that useful, and mine wasn't even working, thanks!

My plan for the motor is to tidy it up, fix the oil leaks and check overall condition. Exactly what and how to do this I'm not sure.

Since the motor feels weak and missing power when driving, I'm thinking I have to check compression, do a leak test, adjust timing. And adjust Air/Fuel mix as you pointed out. But I guess I should have done that before I pulled the engine!

It also looks like the cylinders are rusty on the outside.

I'm also wondering if getting to much air through the EGR valve + having no engine seal has overheated the engine? The PO had removed the engine seal, and I had no idea I was missing something until recently from reading on the ratwell site.

I took some pictures of the engine codes I could find.
The fan shroud says; GE 055076
The case just says; GE

Jonasand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying engine part function Reply with quote

Ok, so I just thought I'd post some pics of final results..

I cut out a three pieces of steel from a window sill that was laying around, (one for the plenum, and two for each side of the engine tin). I also bought a sheet of gasket material (resistant to fuel oil and heat), and cut out properly sized pieces.

/thanks for everyones input

Jonas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: