Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front fenders connected to the running boards?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

I've had in in my mind to have front fenders that connect to the running boards like the cars from the 30s.

I just bought a baja and I don't like the way the PO trimmed (or did not trim) the fenders

This would be my first build and I need to keep it realistic.

So I would like to go bolt on or at least something premade that I can make work.
Also, it would need to be strong enough to be functional.

I know the gazelle has something like this.
Here is my quick sketch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

You would have to modify the door as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

A Gazelle has had the front of the car lengthened. Do this - print a couple pics of the car and start drawing on them or use a photo shop or paint type program to work out your ideas.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm certain this would have to be a custom thing.

I suppose I could make a chicken wire and plaster mock up and then do the final in fibreglass. I would have to consider that it would get stepped on, but it would look cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

I have done a lot of mockups with 1/4" luan plywood. masonite and/or cardboard. I would REALLY suggest making some sketches first. There are plenty of "line drawings" of bugs on the net that you could download and work with. I dont have photo shop and have just used things like MS Paint or similar programs to modify and scanned or downloaded file.

Theres lots of neat ideas, but sometimes they just dont work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I have done a lot of mockups with 1/4" luan plywood. masonite and/or cardboard. I would REALLY suggest making some sketches first. There are plenty of "line drawings" of bugs on the net that you could download and work with. I dont have photo shop and have just used things like MS Paint or similar programs to modify and scanned or downloaded file.

Theres lots of neat ideas, but sometimes they just dont work.

You should try google sketch up.

Its a CAD program that is pretty great.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

Will look for it - thanks! Will be a little while before I am doing anything radical again. but will give me time to get familiar with it.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Will look for it - thanks! Will be a little while before I am doing anything radical again. but will give me time to get familiar with it.

I was doing a renovation and the town wanted a sketch of the 3 foot high knee wall and the 8 foot long stud and sheetrock wall I was putting up to divide a room.
I drew one on a piece of graph paper.
He said that's not good enough you should hire an architect to draw it.
Bullshit....
So I got SketchUp and did it.
You can add textures and materials And click on a line and easily label it.
You can also rotate it and pretty much anything you imagine
You can also attached it to google earth and when someone googled your address they will see it
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

OK. here is one for you...

I'm leaning toward turning my super baja back into a stock-ish ride.

I was gonna keep the rear fat tires and put some wider fenders.

But I was thinking i'd like to go with the deck lid and rear apron from a 1962.
http://www.sunsetclassics.com/1962-vw-beetle-ragtop/bodygallery/slides/1962-vw-beetle-ragtop-577.jpg

That being said, how ambitious is this?

Would it be much more work that putting the stock 1972 rear apron on?
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

http://www.sunsetclassics.com/1962-vw-beetle-ragtop/bodygallery/slides/1962-vw-beetle-ragtop-577.jpg

This is what I have now:

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

What you need is the rear clip...not just the apron. You can piece it together somewhat with replacement panels, but if you can find a donor car (could be a standard or super) that you can get enough that you can just weld it on. Will take a bit of work. I was pondering something similar - I have a 61 baja and have a rear clip from a 67. Decided not to do it, but not because of difficulty.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:

This is what I have now:

You already have another thread on this topic:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664420
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
What you need is the rear clip...not just the apron. You can piece it together somewhat with replacement panels, but if you can find a donor car (could be a standard or super) that you can get enough that you can just weld it on. Will take a bit of work. I was pondering something similar - I have a 61 baja and have a rear clip from a 67. Decided not to do it, but not because of difficulty.

Would I have to weld anything other than what is currently cut off?

Like would I have to cut all the way up to the window?

O just weld onto where it is cut? Obviously there may be some trimming.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

I have never done it, but was pondering it on the baja body I have. But we also just got done replacing an apron, rear quarter and other panels on a 63.

The nice thing is that there is not a whole lot that is externally visible after you have the fenders on, so the finish work is not really critical. All you have to do is trim your rear clip and body to mate up proper. Would STRONGLY suggest installing the decklid to help you line things up and also have fenders handy.

What you will want to do it clamp or tack things together and tweak with the decklid and fender(s) on to confirm alignment, then nail it.

Deck lid or a good straight edge help you make sure that your clip is properly aligned....Its a straight shot down the apron along the edge where the deck lid seal goes.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

Yeah,
I was thinking that I'd line it up, and bolt it together to get it adjusted. Then weld it once the deck lid closes.

But, will I then end up with a Frankenstein?

Maybe I should leave the rear clip off and put some fat fenders on it?

Or maybe I should just slap some paint on it and drive it as is, call it a day and save up for a car that someone put way too much money into...
A "my loss is your gain" purchase.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

Lots of options...If you are patient and put feelers out, sometimes a deal will bite you on the ass. Just had that a month ago...guy HAD to get rid of a project...Totally solid and nice - but mid restoration.....$500......Flipped it a couple weeks later an made enough to cover my shop property taxes and buy a used car transport trailer Cool
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: GT 4-Tip Sports Muffler or stinger? Reply with quote

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
Yeah,
I was thinking that I'd line it up, and bolt it together to get it adjusted. Then weld it once the deck lid closes.

But, will I then end up with a Frankenstein?

Maybe I should leave the rear clip off and put some fat fenders on it?

Or maybe I should just slap some paint on it and drive it as is, call it a day and save up for a car that someone put way too much money into...
A "my loss is your gain" purchase.

Get a pre 67 decklid, bolt it on and then decide from there what else you need to make it look the way you like.

I personally know of plenty of volksrods started out as unloved bajas and a WTF can I do with this thing. start with an altitude adjustment and then start the head scratching some more.

or don't run any lid at all. there's no need to restore the whole rear end unless that's what you want.

I'd totally pull the Baja kit, add a rear deck lid and an early front hood and slam it and then go from there.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:

This is what I have now:

IMHO, VERY. find another body or a different stock bug to rehab.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Front fenders connected to the running boards? Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
I've had in in my mind to have front fenders that connect to the running boards like the cars from the 30s.

I just bought a baja and I don't like the way the PO trimmed (or did not trim) the fenders

This would be my first build and I need to keep it realistic.

So I would like to go bolt on or at least something premade that I can make work.
Also, it would need to be strong enough to be functional.

I know the gazelle has something like this.
Here is my quick sketch.

Took me a while to remember the thread.

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?p=400978

Check out markH's full fendered rod. (the blue one)

[img]http://www.volksrods.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13594&d=1206990187[/img]
Machette Speedster
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: