Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
I'll gladly share a few pics when that's all done... Cool

*ahem*

Sorry to say, it'll be a few more months, at least... Embarassed

Van is currently hibernating in the garage, not to be dealt with until I can get working conditions above 45 degrees...usually sometime in March...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just sayin'... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

Dang!!
NICE garage Dave!!!! ^^^^

Due to zoning my "retirement" home has a miniature one car garage..... Crying or Very sad

I'll be seeking a variance one day........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks...even 15 years ago I figured we needed two stalls, "plus one for fun"...

Wink Cool

- Dave

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

Long overdue update... Embarassed

FINALLY wrapped up my recently rebuilt FI harness. Bad phone pic for proof...

After silicone rescue tape wrap (FWIW, note new yellow wiring & insulated connectors @ PS idle switch):

Cool

- Dave

Ironically, we had an unseasonably low high temp today of...45 degrees... Rolling Eyes Wink

calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!! That was some adventure!!! Scary, and eye opening! You guys are all the best!!! I read every post like a novel, even though it doesn't pertain to my 80 westy. Great job, well done!
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

great thread, i learned a lot.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

I Just marked the junction box that holds the fuel injection fuse of just such a thing.

I had Put it off for quite awhile! I also labeled the actual fuse holder too.

I also (Finally) put insulated connectors on the Power Steering pump idle control switch.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

Holy smokes, what an ordeal!

After reading through all this, I am even more grateful that my current van has dumb old manual steering with that big city-bus steering wheel.

Everything is simpler, lighter, quieter, cleaner and Mrs. S. loves the 6-pack and rippling biceps I get from the Armstrong steering workout.

OK, maybe everything but that last bit.

I'd be less than truthful if I didn't say that I find myself more worn out after a long day of driving with manual steering than I ever was with power steering, so I guess it's all a tradeoff at some level.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

Some thoughts as I go through this issue myself. Yes, there would be no exact indication if the fuse blew to the driver other than no start. Here is where my thinking is going as I proceed in fusing the power in the black box.

Could a wiring genius help me understand a way to light a warning lamp up front, maybe a trick with a relay, etc. that could say "injection power is off" . Just trying to come up with a good addition, but not a wiring guru myself.

Thanks,

-bobby
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Some thoughts as I go through this issue myself. Yes, there would be no exact indication if the fuse blew to the driver other than no start. Here is where my thinking is going as I proceed in fusing the power in the black box.

Could a wiring genius help me understand a way to light a warning lamp up front, maybe a trick with a relay, etc. that could say "injection power is off" . Just trying to come up with a good addition, but not a wiring guru myself.

Thanks,

-bobby
. If you wanted to keep it close to the fuse, a simple , tiny LED light pulling power off the downstream side of the fuse to act as a indicator light could be installed in the black box, with a tiny hole allowing the led to poke out. Wouldn’t be up front in your dash, unless you want to run the wire all the way up there and mount the LED there. But the rear light will still tell you if the fuse has power once you’ve got the engine cover off and are poking around the engine.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

I like the idea, and for a start. That would be better than poking around.

The fuse with LED when blown is where I started wondering how to get this bigger idea sorted. I would like to know more on the mechanism on how the circuit works to accomplish a LED turning on when there is no power to the wire/bundle that is being fused.

I'd have no trouble running yet another wire to the dash. I might even have spares in the bundle I already have running up there.

-bobby
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Van attempts start w/ ignition ON--switch is good Reply with quote

A simple relay that is open when powered will accomplish your task.

When the key is off or the fuse is blown, the relay will default to its closed when not powered mode. Power it using an accessory terminal.

This relay is powering terminal 87a fed from terminal 30 when the relay is not powered.
When it is powered terminal 87 is energized and 87a is not, just leave 87 empty.

30 comes from ignition accessory, 87a goes to light, 86 to a ground, 85 to the protected side of the fuel injection fuse.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: