Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More JX Cooling Issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: More JX Cooling Issues Reply with quote

1991 Syncro Doka with 1.6L TD (JX) with auxiliary coolant pump.

During the process of repairing the 'damages' from a broken v belt and resultant overheating (for example, had to replace the plastic coolant flange and o-ring on the cylinder head) the aux. cooling pump sender was rewired. The rig had been running for some undetermined time period without the aux. pump due to a disconnected wire on the sender on the coolant flange.

On the first test drive after rewire, upon parking the rig, the aux. pump continued to run (or kicked in, not sure which). That's the good news, I think.

The understanding is that the trip point for the pump is 107 deg. C. I noticed the coolant in the reservoir 'boiling' at that time - it had flowed over from the expansion tank, and the coolant pump was running. It's not particularly hot here (Florida) so this seemed a bit unusual. Additionally, the radiator fan was not running. Based on trip points for the radiator fan thermo-switch (if I got it right, max. of 105 deg. C), it seems like it should have been (how else to dissipate the excess heat other than into the bulk of the coolant in the system?), if the aux. coolant pump relay had tripped. Should the fan have been running?.

On a related note now the area around the coolant flange and the sender mounting points is leaking (again). I can find no reference for the part numbers for the the glow plug or aux. coolant pump temp senders and their o-rings. Any help on this would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: More JX Cooling Issues Reply with quote

Could it just have been air bubble bleeding out and not 'boiling'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mwcycles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: More JX Cooling Issues Reply with quote

Boiling coolant and lots of oil consumption after overheating - my vote is for headgasket or cracked head!
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: More JX Cooling Issues Reply with quote

mwcycles wrote:
Boiling coolant and lots of oil consumption after overheating - my vote is for headgasket or cracked head!

The oil consumption issues were observed before the overheating incident.

The vehicle was running reasonably well (apart from the oil consumption issues), then suffered a catastrophic belt failure while on the road recently. By the time it was safely pulled over, coolant was overheating - boiling and spewing out of the reservoir top vents and from the around cap on the expansion tank. The plastic coolant flange got cooked and had to be replaced along with its o-ring. The o-rings on the coolant temp switch (sender?) for the aux. pump and the glow plugs looked fine, however. But now that there is leakage from an unknown source, if I have to go back in, I'd like to change them out to eliminate that as the source.

Brickwerks has the switch / senders, as it turns out, and from their description, looks as though the same part no. works both for glow plugs and for the aux. coolant pump https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/coolant-temp-sender-t3-t4-lt-black-green.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: