Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clutch/pressure plate combo question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

working on another build for a 71 bus. going to be in the 220 h/p neighborhood

last build I used a 1700 lb kennedy p/p and a copperhead disk. even with the longer clutch arm, it's a bit rough in stop and go (I realize this has no bearing on the disk itself)

overall happy with the combo. the "real" question is would a stock disk and 1700 lb p/p be asking too much? more than happy to get another copperhead, but not really doing burn outs etc (well, once in a while...maybe!)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

Even in my buggy I could drive through a Stage 1 and stock disk when I was flat out in 4th. I also went to a Copperhead and love it.

brad
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

Th copperhead is a great disk. I abuse mine all the time,slip it instead of downshifting, yeh it's terrible . You can slip it and get it pretty hot yet won't die. A stock disk once you get it hot it turns to gumbo and slips, maybe they can recover if you drive like grandma for a day, maybe not. Probably not. I've seen one go from new to dead in TWO stop signs.

If you manage to acquire a good pressure plate that allows you to feather the clutch easily, and you do,, then you will need a copperhead Wink

Last edited by modok on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

I wonder if cbs dual friction may be a Lil less aggressive? I do like the copperhead also.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

Cb dual friction(centerforce) is almost the same. I ran the copperhead, swapped to centerforce, then back to copperhead, over a few years. I think the copperhead is a little better overall performace slightly), but the centerforce is easier on the flywheel. They are very similar.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

BTW, with both, I had a slight vibration on engagement, when backing up especially. Only when engaging very slightly, didn't really notice it most driving. Then I re-surfaced the pressure plate and it's gone. Gone for good it seems, since that was 3+years ago.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

I use a KEP 2100lb with a Berg, Super Street dual friction disc, and love it. Easy on the leg, but hooks up solid. This is in a turbo Ghia.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

modok wrote:
BTW, with both, I had a slight vibration on engagement, when backing up especially. Only when engaging very slightly, didn't really notice it most driving. Then I re-surfaced the pressure plate and it's gone. Gone for good it seems, since that was 3+years ago.

that is one thing I noticed with the copperhead as well Confused

and you're right, seem a bit more jumpy in reverse....

so, I guess I will just go with a copperhead. they seem pretty predictable Laughing

didn't know why I would have even considered a stock clutch. guess I was looking for options. the reality is a copperhead is what? 130 clams? cheap money in the grand scheme of things....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

One of the FEW items that have been worth every penny.
Rigth up there with SAW torsion bars, web cams, Italian webers, 3 finger PP,

This is another item that was worth every penny, and also can touch up your pressure plate surface, so you "season it", then sand it flat, and it'll stay flat. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

For me, the copper was to heavy and neva like go in gear at 8 grand shifts and I feel it's to hard on trans so breaking R/Ps is easy if you no watch out. I use 2100 and daiken and easy on foot and major grip action and it lasted long time and trans lasted long time. Cheap insurance
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

maui wrote:
daiken

also a good idea
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

seeing it's in a bus and *really* won't be doing burn outs etc is a daiken a better choice?

it really doesn't matter to me what I use, just want it to be reliable. why would you say the copperhead was rough on the transmission? rough engagement or a weight issue?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

The copperhead is a heavy disc, and can be rough on the syncro's, hubs, and sliders if you're trying to shift fast. The dual friction disc (berg, I've not tried the CB) is lighter; and the Daiken even lighter. I weighed them last year and posted the results, might search it if you're interested. I decided on the Daiken, and it's nice for stop and go traffic. i haven't slipped it with a 1700lb plate and trust me I've tried.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

esde, I tried a search and came up with nothing, unless I am using the wrong terms....

I am not opposed to a daiken either. if it's easier on the transmission I am good with that

*EDIT*

this is the disc you guys are referring to, correct?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Daikin-200mm-Rigid-Cl...m-b503.htm

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

Spend the little extra and get the super disk.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Daikin-200mm-Solid-Su...m-503a.htm

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

I run that Super Daiken with a Stage II Kennedy and long arm with my supercharged rotary. 265 h.p. at the rear wheels, no slip, good engagement. Also have everything pretty firm in the back with it.... Mohr mid mount, heavy duty trans. mount with CB Rhino mounts, and Kafer brace system. This is a VW based kit car.... all up weight around 1800 lbs. Only other discs I was looking at were the Copperhead and that dual disc set-up. I felt that the Daiken with the stage II was going to be the cheaper "safety valve" in my drivetrain.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

I think I would try the Daiken first, a guy can never have too many clutch disks can he? Very Happy I don't speed shift so the copperhead hasn't been an issue but ya, they are heavy and even mcmscott will tell you they eat parts.

brad
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

Copper head or black magic are the worst thing you can do for your trans. Those disks are HEAVY, mass in motion tends to stay in motion, your synchro rings have to control that mass in motion. A stage 2 with a stock unsprung disk are good for 11.60's in the quarter in a full weight sedan, how much more do you need?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

That's true, if you want to shift fast then you want a light disk, but, do you want to shift fast?
What if your syncros are ALREADY dead? Razz
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch/pressure plate combo question Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Copper head or black magic are the worst thing you can do for your trans. Those disks are HEAVY, mass in motion tends to stay in motion, your synchro rings have to control that mass in motion. A stage 2 with a stock unsprung disk are good for 11.60's in the quarter in a full weight sedan, how much more do you need?

ok, so this is going in a bus...worstfailure to be exact.

so, a 1700lb kennedy and a daiken should fit the bill then? the super disc should be a decent compromise?

the only thing it will be doing is dragging the bacon to the campground Laughing

I'd like to snap off second from time to time, but the reality is it isn't a bug/ghia/T3 so it isn't exactly agile

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: