Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble installing sway bar end link to radius arm [SOLVED].
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Trouble installing sway bar end link to radius arm [SOLVED]. Reply with quote

I'm nearing the end of a complete front suspension overhaul - but have hit a 'gotcha' that I haven't yet dreamt up a work-around for. In the hopes that some here have met this before and have overcome it:

For the life of me, I can't get the sway bar end-links connected to the strut bars. The new OEM rubber bushes need to get seated into the dome-shaped holes in the strut-bars, but that needs pressure. Without them being seated, the threaded end of the end-link isn't long enough to get even half a thread started on the nut.

I've tried all sorts of 'persuasion', using jacks, wedges, modified spring compressors, you name it.

I'll add, the strut bars are already in place, just the sway bar to replace and then the steering knuckle (yes, the LBJ was done at a local machine shop[1]).

Any ideas, however whacky, to get these end-links attached?

[1] For those near Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek/East SF bay, Timmons of Pleasant Hill were very professional - and did an excellent job in double-quick time. http://www.timmonsrepair.com/volkswagen-repair-service

Last edited by fxr on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble installing sway bar end link to strut bar. Reply with quote

If you are referring to getting the lower threaded portion of your end link through the front lower control arm so that the bushing as can seat properly, achieve proper sleeve and washer orientation, and get your nut threaded on the end link in order to tighten, but can't as you describe, here was my solution.

1. Bushings, sleeve, washers cleaned and greased and ready to go, upper washer, bushing, and sleeve on end link above control arm - threads aligned or through hole.
2. Ratchet strap wrapped over sway bar next to upper end link and around lower control arm near end link threads / hole, but not in the way.
3. A few clicks on the ratchet strap should give you enough compression so threads to get the lower bushing and washer on, then the nut.
4. Get nut started so that threads are solidly in the nut making sure bushing alignment is setting properly in the indents.
5. Torque - I think to 22 ft-pd. Be careful not to twist your end link off the upper bushing.
6. Take strap off and finish up the other side of the van.

This worked great for me, but not sure it is the correct way to tackle this issue.
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

Sorry, slight correction. End link goes through the radius rod base as you mention which on my '86 is bolted to the front lower control arm.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

Thanks - It's now way past beer o'clock, otherwise I'd be right out there trying a ratchet strap. Smile

Any other macgyver/shadetree solutions are welcomed too. Wink
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

The Van is on its wheels on level ground right?

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

The front of the van is on axle stands placed just inboard of the jacking points. It's facing up a gently sloping driveway. The end-links have to be installed before the steering knuckles, so no wheels on it!

This is an early '84 van, so the front suspension is of the earlier type, not withstanding it's got a 22mm sway bar rather than a 19mm one.

There's no way a ratchet strap will help here, that I can see. I might have to make a tool just for this application, which will be a RRPITA.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

Some pictures that might explain the problem:

Here's the recess (one each side) that the bushes are meant to be squeezed into:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With no compression, there's no way to get a nut on the end:

jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I just did this, here's my input.

Put LCA radius rod bushings on, and put it in the hole, nut on (no outer radius rod bushings yet).

Hang LCA on inner bolt, tighten.

Put FORWARD radius rod bushing and washer on, nut on but not tight yet!

Jack placed under LCA.

Install coil spring.

Tighten radius rod nut.

Hang spindle on lower ball joint.

Install UCA, tighten bolt/nut.

Jack up a bit to take some tension onto the spring.

Install upper ball joint into UCA, TIGHT.

Connect spindle to upper ball joint. TIGHTEN BALL JOINT NUTS

Install and tighten tie rod end.

Wheels on.

When both sides are done and it's on the ground, re-connect sway bar ends onto LCA. If you try to do this early, you'll be fighting the other side being different (that's what sway bars do). This is also much easier on ramps than sliding underneath.

Drove car around the block without front shocks to seat the springs. The bouncing car made this much easier. You can easily get the front wheels off the ground if you wanted to FWIW.

I installed my front shocks when the van was on ramps when I got back, being up on ramps made access REALLY EASY to get the shocks into the LCA hole.

He waits to do the end links until everything else is done and on the ground. Quite a few people in that thread said doing it this way helped them a lot. Give it a shot, why not?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

jacob. wrote:
Give it a shot, why not?

OK - why not indeed as all else has proved frustrating. Smile
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
jacob. wrote:
Give it a shot, why not?

OK - why not indeed as all else has proved frustrating. Smile

Let me know how it goes, because I'm pretty close to reassembly on my front end rebuild. Just waiting on hardware from t3 and end link and sway bar bushings from powerflex. I was planning on following that reassembly sequence.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

I just installed a T3 sway bar and lower end link urethane bushings after putting in a new rack and did everything with the wheels on and car on the ground. No problem putting the end links in enough to put the nut on. The stuff should be torqued with the suspension loaded anyway. You can also use a jack under the control arm, but on the ground would be better...

Last edited by Guybrush on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

I tried a jack under the lower control arm - enough to just take the load off the axle stands. No dice.

Temporarily I've got the end-links fitted with a bush on top, and big bastard washers underneath, with the nut done up enough to compress the upper bush in.

I'm just taking a break as it's damn hot out there - steering knuckles installed[1], new bearings are in the hubs but hubs not yet mounted. New flexible brake hoses to go on, and new brake pads to fit. Then to bleed the brakes, mount the wheels, and drive around the block where there are loads of DIPs in the road. I curse these normally, but they'll be good to settle things down before checking torques etc.

Then to see if I can get the lower end-link bushes on. Hmm. Wink

[1] The new tie-rod ends from VC don't have holes for a cotter pin, they have a Nyloc nut, so the 'tighten to 30Nm and then onto next hole' instructions won't fly. So I went with what I'd do for a similar sized nut and bolt on the scooter, and shot for 65Nm. It 'felt' about right at least.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

And it's now well past beer o'clock, so I'm calling it a night. Just the brakes to do up front (and those end-links eventually) but I want to replace the rear flexible brake hoses and the brake/clutch fluid reservoir at the same time. So I'll also be doing the rear suspension bushes. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I can drive around the block - we'll see.

Thanks for all the advice chaps - I'll be posting up the end result!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

Even with the weight of the van sitting on the wheel to compress things I have always needed a little help getting that nut on there.

Seems the threads are just barely out of reach, by maybe 1/32".

So what I use is a bar, about 2 foot long, over the sway bar and into a gap of the springs, to lever the sway bar down that last bit so I can get the nut on there.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

this is the easiest and safest way to get where you need to be

radius arm to sway bar

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

Did this with PowerFlex bushings no problem. Then, I tried Whiteline bushings on the other van. That was no fun. I had to use a big pry bar to compress the end link down and even then it was close.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

Interesting.
A spring compressor to mash the new rubber bushings.

What did you do to get the 4 safety pins outa the way?

From here it looks as though the fingers are a tad too short to grab the washers enough to collapse the bushings down to get the nut started.

Good idea---Maybe--
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

Mornin'

Hi OP i was thinking about why those specific bushings were giving you trouble and wondered if the recess the bushing fits into is different from year to year and if the bushings from different suppliers are different diameters.

I have some surplus lower control arms in the shop so I did a quick measurement and here they are:

Cast late model Syncro LCA 38mm diameter bushing recess
Cast late model 2wd LCA 41 mm diameter bushing recess

So check yours and then maybe email your supplier and ask them to measure the OD of the bushing in question.

I have used these
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2373_324/urethane_drop_link_bushing_kit.html

on the last two vans I worked on and they dropped right in, wheels on and resting on ramps.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

I did wonder if the bushes were the wrong size - but on the old bushes the outer bits that weren't squished into the recesses were the same diameter as the new ones. Plus, I can get the upper bushes squeezed in by using washers and the nut underneath, and the lower bushes squeezed in with a jack pushing up - my problem is that I haven't (yet) found a way to get both squeezed in at once.

The VC urethane ones are apparently for a later model than my van.

I hope to have this addressed by the end of today - but as in all things van-wise this may be optimistic. Wink
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble installing sway bar end link to strut (radius) bar. Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

I hope to have this addressed by the end of today - but as in all things van-wise this may be optimistic. Wink

And of course it was. When I cleaned up the LH brake caliper, it had lost the spring between the pins, and one piston had lost the greater part of the outer piston seal. This had previously been replaced 15 months ago with a rebuilt unit from the local FLAPS - I'm getting a warranty replacement, but not until tomorrow morning. I'm now pretty sure I know why that side was unevenly wearing pads and now these other parts - yesterday I'd spotted a nasty pit in the LH outer wheel bearing race. I bet the whole thing was wobbling around slightly, though I didn't ever feel anything under braking, or hear any undue noise. It might also go a small way to explaining why each front tyre had excessive wear on both edges.

This front-end rebuild has probably come in the nick of time. More on the thread subject tomorrow perhaps?

At least now I've got a new brake/clutch fluid reservoir fitted. The old one was well shagged - but never leaked.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: