Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson / Timing on 36 hp 1200 1960 beetle
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Judson / Timing on 36 hp 1200 1960 beetle Reply with quote

After all the trouble with installing the pertronix, i am unsafe with the timing? I have a timing light, an the best power i have when the timing mark on the pulley is as seen in the picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What do the experts think?
Schnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson / Timing on 36 hp 1200 1960 beetle Reply with quote

No idea?
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Judson / Timing on 36 hp 1200 1960 beetle Reply with quote

ok let me try here, what dizzy? 009 010 019 ? if so it should be timed at the timing mark which is 7.5. looks like it's timed at 10+ take a tape measure and measure from the mark to the left a inch and a half and make a mark that is about 32- 34 degrees. check the timing at 3k rpms's and see if it goes past it . if so yes too much advance and you will melt your pistons. i always check total advance to be safe. all dizzy's can vary in advance built in. . if it does not run as good there you have other problems. carb/jetting
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Judson / Timing on 36 hp 1200 1960 beetle Reply with quote

It is a VJU4BR8 dizzy.....
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Judson / Timing on 36 hp 1200 1960 beetle Reply with quote

ok
that is the same curve as a 019. so 7.5 is where it should be timed. that would give you 30-32 total. you need to make sure it is not over advancing. set the timing no more than 32 total. at 3k.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: