Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust headache
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Exhaust headache Reply with quote

Well, I am looking for a Thing exhaust which doesn't hang too low, sounds great (deep not high pitched and noisy) and enhances performance a little. Engine is a 1600cc with ratio rockers, electronic ignition, 2 40 DRLA Dellortos. It should come ceramic coated and the header must clear my Maxi Filter Pump.

Any suggestions?

Dom Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres one that I got from Kymco. I have had this thing on the skidplates a few times and the header still has no scratches. It looked a bit better two years ago but it has seen heavy use.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=66668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=66669

Last edited by TimGud on Sun May 09, 2004 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add that it cleans up real easy. I just haven't done so.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice, Tim- I have been tossing around whether to purchase the kymco set up or the S&S header- how far out does the elbow extend beyond the bumper?
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It extends about 2 1/2 to 3" behind the bumper. I edited the first post and added a pic of that.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Big Luni on Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the S&S setup for about 5 years- it stuck out about the same, only there were pipes going both to the leaft and to the right. Watch your leg on that thing after ther engine's been running! That setup rotted when I was a poor college student and I replaced it with a cheaper bug performance setup. I'l be in the market for a Thing system again soon... Anyone have an opinion on the new exhaust system The Thing Shop is selling now? It looks like it might be decent...
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 74 currently has a monza or GT style muffler exhaust. http://www.chirco.com/isroot/chirco/SiteImages/CHI2071.jpg
If it was a little quieter I would cut off the tips that come out the back at the muffler and double ell them up and out the openings in the bumper. It really is tucked up in there nice and I think it would look great but I want mine quieter.
Stapler123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what ive got too, stranges thing though it took about 1 month for all the paint to burn off. I think I was running waaaaaay.. way to rich at the time though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about The Thing Shop's dual header exhaust? It has all the features you are looking for plus it doesn't stick out the back. The PO on my Thing had a Monza exhaust. I whacked my shins on that baby more times than I can remember. Plus the exhaust coming out of the bumper is neat. It is not cheap though and you may have to do some massaging of the pieces to get it to not rub on the body or the bumper but I really recommend it.

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181DH

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all the input Reply with quote

Nevertheless I went with a Empi header and a hide away unit. Kimko is off the web and I don’t care for a 2 exhaust system because of the scavenging. A 4 into 1 header is perfect on a 4 cylinder engine because of the ignition cycle of 180°. I posted some more pictures of my Thing in the gallery, check it out.

Greetings Dom Cool
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Kymco Reply with quote

I have the Kymco header, boxes, fat boy set up. I changed the bent tube between the collector and muffler because it sucked, as shipped. I made the muffler ride lower than anything else on the car. It was bent at an asymetrical angle (looked stupid). I cut it off and used a cheapassed ($5) Autozone 2 1/2" id flex-pipe instead.

My exhaust is not ceramic coated because of cost vs warranty. Kymco does NOT warranty their coating for any period. I have read posts from several thingers that said it was crap and lasted NOT. I checked out Jet Hot http://www.jet-hot.com/ , the leader in ceramic coatings, but refused to sink what they wanted ($400 plus shipping) for their product. I used the hi-temp POR-20 Silver coating ($25/pt), then painted the visible parts like the fat boy, flat black BBQ grill paint. So far so good at about 2000 miles on my hipo 1915cc exhaust.

The kymco 1 1/2" exhaust is a good product. Its quality stuff. It sounds very deep and cool. The performance is awsome. Mine absolutely puts out more performance with the flex pipe than the bent p.o.s. that came with it.
Stapler123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got that jet hot stuff on the 429 in my 56 ford.. It is really nice stuff, but verry expensive. In the instructions it says the engine must not run rich at all though. Otherwise it could still burn off.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what Kymco's warrantee states but we have been running one of thier ceramic coated headers in the 69 Westy for either 5 or 6 years (can't remember shit syndrome) and the coating is in great shape except for a couple of scratches on the underside of the muffler from bottoming it out. I can't expect them to guarantee the coating to withstand accidental abuse or stupidity. The next header/muffler I get will be from Kymco as well. The way I look at it is I can buy one good header or replace a mediocre one every two to three years all the while complaining about the poor quality.
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: What happend to the Kymco Website? Reply with quote

For some reason I can't access the KymcoVW Website anymore. I never got an answer back when I ordered their header. Now I don't need it anymore, but still where are they? If they are still around and only got rid of their website, can somebody give me their address and phone number?

Thanks Dom Sad
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey!! this is my first post on the samba.. and i am in need of some help!!!

I am slamming my 73 and I'm not sure how tucked the kymco one is.. i looked at the links above.. but anyone put a system on a lowered thing?? i am also running a hefty 1915... thanks a bunch!!
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further up you can read TimGud's post about the Kymko header, he has shared a very helpful picture with the crowd

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=66668

Cheers Dom Wink
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the clearance on the Kymco header, here is a (poor quality) photo on the rear end of my thing with the header and fat boy on a stock 1600 thing engine, installed exactly as it comes from kymco: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=52636 .

The header is very nicely designed NOT hang below the engine at all, including the collector tube. Its the muffler that I had problems with as it hung too low and stuck out at a weird angle at my custom bumpers. Easy to fix this problem, though.

Kymco has had an ownership shake up in the past year (and some related problems). I assume that they are still in bisiness. Maybe not. Berg has thing headers for about the same price in both 1 1/2" and 1 5/8". Can't ever go wrong with GBE, if you can spare the change. And you get ZOTS!!! http://www.geneberg.com/ .
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: My headaches wear off... Reply with quote

I finally found my setup. Good sound and in my opinion looks.

I had to take my Empi Evil or Very Mad muffler out. It hung too low and was way off in terms of sound. Boy was that engine loud. I do it over and over again, I tell myself keep your fingers from Empi stuff, because their quality sucks but what do I do, I keep buying the crap. This good looking ceramic coated hide away muffler from Empi is a no no. Welded wrong, bad fit, too small silencer etc.etc. Now I got an old bugpack hide a way muffler (much bigger silencer) and even added a trap. Now it sounds like I wanted it. It has low deep voice, and if I slam the pedal on the floor it sounds like a muffeled race engine, ha Laughing now I can hear the beautiful sound of my Dellortos. I must, however give credit to Empi's premium header. It fits nice, the welds are nice, the finish is nice.

Just as a feedback to all who helped with their opinions. Thanks!

Dom Cool
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What happend to the Kymco Website? Reply with quote

fathing wrote:
For some reason I can't access the KymcoVW Website anymore. I never got an answer back when I ordered their header. Now I don't need it anymore, but still where are they? If they are still around and only got rid of their website, can somebody give me their address and phone number?

Thanks Dom Sad

I couldn't find the Kymco Motorsports site either after having been e-mailed from someone asking for it ,but I found the phone # which is (949) 642-1835
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: