Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust headache
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap exhaust to use the stock holes in the bumper.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thats not bad! Good ground clearance too, and if you weld it's a cheap solution for an exhaust system. The monza mufflers I have seen people use hold up well, but the original tips on them are butt ugly in my opinion. Hell if you bend it up just cut off the pipes and buy another inexpensive monza muffler to modify!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OC Resto-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kymco system is great and installs very easily. They are still in business as one post earlier stated and are going through some maketing changes (magazine ads and web managers). Their phone number is (949) 642-1835. I had one on my old car for a little while, but the size of my engine (2276cc) and it's horsepower (161HP dynoed) were a little too much for it. Tiger at A-1 Muffler in Santa Ana, CA made a custom 1 5/8" merged side-exit that was amazing! He is truly the guy to call for a large displacement engines or cleanence issues. DB[img][/img][/url]
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Monza looks great! I have the same one w/ the ugly-ass quad tips. I had an S&S Thing setup before that, but when it crapped out my mechanic replaced it w/ the Monza w/out asking! It sounds good though, but the woman bitches about the noise, so I'll probably get one of those stock '74 reproductions from GMW the next time around & get it ceramic coated. If anyone has or has seen one of those in person (or knows of anything equally as quiet that goes thru the bumper holes), let me know. They charge serious cash for those, & I want to see if it's worth it...
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big luni,

i will be selling a 74 style exhaust soon. it will look like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it will cost approximately 189.00. for an extra charge i will be doing it in dull nickel plate, like the original.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good- but unlike the OG muffler, I need one that doesn't rust right away. If I'm going to drop 200 clams for a pea-shooter muffler, I want it to last. If your nickel finish won't burn off after a month or two, I'll be your first customer.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big luni,

i know what you mean. the ceramic coating is a good idea, but very costly. it would make the selling cost of the unit prohibitive, unless you have the coating equipment "in house".

i have been working on this exhuast for a while and i want it to be something that is an improvement over what is in the market now. i have a parts business dealing strictly with aircooled VW's and when i was restoring my thing i could not find the correct exhaust, so i made it. it is designed only for use on a stock engine.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touché. Either way, let me know when you're going to be selling them. Yours looks more OG than the GMW one anyway, so I'm definately interested. Do you use a german or brazilian muffler as the base, or did you competely make it from scratch? (Don't mean to get too one on one here, but I think alot of Thing owners would be interested in this).
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big luni,

it is a german beetle muffler which is heavily modified. the tailpipes are an exact copy of the orignal. i have not seen the gmw in person, only in a photo, but it appears the tailpipe design they use is a slip fitting instead of the original flange design.

the orignal thing muffler is completely different internally than a beetle muffler. the beetle muffler uses the peashooters for most of the sound dampning and the interior is pretty much empty. the orignal thing muffler has a lot of baffling inside since the tailpipes are stright through with no baffles. i designed baffles into the tailpipe outlets on the main muffler. i would like to hear the difference between my repro, the gmw and the original someday, just for comparison purposes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: